Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Knocking: Bent rod or spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Knocking: Bent rod or spun bearing?

I'm pretty sure it's a spun bearing, I'm taking it to Toyota so they can deal with it (lol extended warranty is actually coming in handy) but I just wanna see if I can get a better idea of exactly what it is before I take it in.

http://youtu.be/fnA9FIdnMos
any input is appreciated, ignore adele at the end of the video
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard to say if the rods actually bent until its torn down, of course unless theres a nice window in the block lol
Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Compression test?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, its boned. Rod knock so time for a new engine; the rod bearing is probably extruded from the pocket at this point and you can probably pan for gold in the oil. It might blow at any time so I wouldn't recommend driving it. Quick question: how the hell did you manage that?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive seen a bent rod actually still show good compression Just depends how bad its bent, or it could just be a spun bearing, which has prob fubared the big end of the rod anyways.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's honestly most likely a spun bearing from my research, I just wanted other other people's input. My dumbass ran a ZPI stage 0 kit without a proper tune for a few months a couple years back. When I took the kit off (due to a blown turbo seal / insufficient funds to fix everything properly on the kit) everything was running fine. It wasn't until a couple months ago when the car started driving a bit weird, but I never took much note of it since the tC is my brothers car (I have a Fit). The car is either burning or leaking oil *somewhere* but I haven't seen it drip and I haven't noticed smoke from the exhaust (unlike how it was with the turbo).

The sound started yesterday when my brother was on his way to work. I came by, and there was pretty much nothing in it. Filled it up and drove it home, sound still there. I threw the stock intake on and took off the throttle body spacer today and noticed motor side of the throttle body had oil on it, so something has probably been off with it for awhile now. What's stupid is the fact that the car has gone in through Toyota's maintenance plan (about every 5k miles) and they never mentioned or clued in to ANY issues with the car whatsoever, even with their "inspections."

I don't think the turbo had anything to do with this actually, because then the issue would have come up awhile ago. It was taken off at ~37k miles and the car now has just over 70k, more reason why I believe my theory of a spun bearing.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from your story it is a spun bearing for sure. same thing happened to me and my friend. if you keep driving the car the motor will seize up on you even with more oil. hopefully you can convince for toyota to pay for it using the warranty but they might not except it. i work for a toyota dealership as well and if they can find a reason not to do it they will just bring it as close as stock as possible.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been sitting ever since we got it home Monday. I live a couple miles away from the dealership so it should be fine... I already go the car back to stock, the only thing that's still modified is the spipe and midpipe but that really shouldn't affect anything. Since it's technically going through my extended warranty hopefully I don't run into any issues. Anything that was touched on the motor is all back to stock (took off the throttle body spacer, back to stock intake) so I *hopefully* shouldn't have any issues.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats good as long as you have all the oil change records it shouldnt be a propblem
Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do realize that unless the motor is leaking oil the oil change "maintenance inspection" won't say anything right? All it is is a quick look over of the vehicle to notice any major problems that stand out. Half the time the oil change guys blow through them.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the glow plugs went out on your deisel. i plug my duelly in, when it's cold so it warms up the block.