Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Laying down a proper foundation for true high performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, we are very serious about this car, going to do alot with it and drive it everywhere, we build cars to drive, not just look at

Photos will be limited on the forums, this is a company project for us and we have to not overexpose it as looking to get some kind of pulicity from it, hope you understand.

It costs alot of money to get sponsored, not worth it unless you are in the business usually.

We only take a few sponsorships and only ones with no contracts so we spend alot to build them but they belong to us to use and go where we choose;)

Rick
Old 05-27-2005, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member

Need some pics of this car!

On the unsprung weight topic... how much do the stock 17" rims weight?

Also, are you getting your TEIN coilovers w/ the pillowball uppermount and/or the EDFC?
What exactly does pillowball give you?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

someone weighed them before. they were 19lbs.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "pillow ball mounts" are just spherical ends, metal to metal, very good feedback, better control of the flexing of the suspension joints, more postive handling dynamics. They transmit a bit more road shock but suprisingly not all that much. I love them Plus the front ones are part of the camber plates which are very very important to us for the various type of racing events we will attend.

Stocks to weight 19, I checked them myself, really not bad for stock wheels, now if they at least were 7.5" wide and had a 35"" or so offset, most people would not have to change them for enhanced performance. I am running wider tires now as well, 2335/40/17 which weigh more than the stock tires, still I reduced the weight by 1.5 lbs per corner and the lug nuts I have dropped another .5 lbs on each corner as well.

Not running the EDFC, at least not at the moment, not that inclined to, only time I would really use it is on a road course with enough laps to tune it correctly. For autocross and drags and street, really not needed. I only put things on the car I can get a great deal of use out of and these would be limited unless we do alot of open track days then they would be sweet. Other than that, eye candy, another form of rice;)

Ok, there are some serios canyon racers amougst us, they may have a real use and that would not be rice.

There are some pics posted of my car, not much to see yet, not really going to look like much compared to show cars but will gladly take on just about any show car on a real track, not just drags, we build for real world and corner carving

Rick
Old 05-28-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
Stocks to weight 19, I checked them myself, really not bad for stock wheels, now if they at least were 7.5" wide and had a 35"" or so offset, most people would not have to change them for enhanced performance. I am running wider tires now as well, 2335/40/17 which weigh more than the stock tires, still I reduced the weight by 1.5 lbs per corner and the lug nuts I have dropped another .5 lbs on each corner as well.

Rick
oh my, those are some really wide tires
Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL!!! I need 4 lanes just for my car on the freeway

235's

One of the guys is running 245's on his 8.5 wide wheels with a 48 offset, seems to work great!

Rick
Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds like a hell of a project. are you doing your own suspension tuning? are you doing any sort of weight balancing? if you do that sunroof/moonroof cf replacement, are you going to sell them as a kit?

best of luck with the project and keep the forums updated ;)

1 question, who are you going through for your rims? i'm having a hell of a time finding some rota subzero gunmetal 17x8.5 48mm.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, yes it is a major project but mostly nuts and bolts, only a few tricky things going on here, at least to us but we do this to all our projects

Yes, will tune ourselves, takes some time but will start off with a basic setting and once autocrossing, etc, will be able to check tire pressures, wear patterns, handling dynamics, etc, and make more adjustments.

I will have to get it corner weighed as do not have a set of scales but I have gotten by without doing it many times in the past, this car is going to be a bit more complicated so will have it weighed

I am talking to one manf and we are looking into doing the roof and possibly making it available or do a GB and see how it goes. Some are interested in replacement for the glass only, at least two others in a one piece whole roof like I want, for now I would focus on the whole roof. Problem is we are not in the right location to do this now, cannot tie up the car and the shop it too far to go back and forth. I may send the roof down once I move to Portland. If this just does not work out then I will look into making one myself, have to build the mold to do so, one heck of alot of work!!!

Thanks, will do so, have to keep a few things in the dark though for reasons I cannot explain just yet;)

Rick
Old 05-29-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 245s on the rear of my car on 19x9.5" wheels... they work fine
Old 05-29-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you have on the front? Not dissing you buddy but wider on the rear than the front is not a performance setup, it is a show setup, looks cool I agree of course but just not something I would do. I sure wish this was a RWD car though!!!!

Rick
Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, will tune ourselves, takes some time but will start off with a basic setting and once autocrossing, etc, will be able to check tire pressures, wear patterns, handling dynamics, etc, and make more adjustments.

I will have to get it corner weighed as do not have a set of scales but I have gotten by without doing it many times in the past, this car is going to be a bit more complicated so will have it weighed
Sounds good. Are you going to be competition racing or just putting it out there to have fun and tune it? I just got my tC Wednesday and I haven't had time to read up to see what class the tC would run in SCCA type stuff.

I am talking to one manf and we are looking into doing the roof and possibly making it available or do a GB and see how it goes. Some are interested in replacement for the glass only, at least two others in a one piece whole roof like I want, for now I would focus on the whole roof. Problem is we are not in the right location to do this now, cannot tie up the car and the shop it too far to go back and forth. I may send the roof down once I move to Portland. If this just does not work out then I will look into making one myself, have to build the mold to do so, one heck of alot of work!!!
that would be nice. if its a quality piece and (somewhat) easy to install I'm sure there would be a few buyers

Thanks, will do so, have to keep a few things in the dark though for reasons I cannot explain just yet;)

Rick
understood

just don't disappoint LOL
Old 05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SM class in SCCA autocross, drag race once in awhile just bracket racing and run some track days on road courses plus the occcasional short but sweet street playtime, rarely do that though. This is the plan, same class as our Matrix ran in 2003. It was very competitive in the year we ran it, would of been faster the next. We plan on making the tC much faster yet

Seems the roof is going to be some time off for now, I want it more than any other part for the car but just do not have the time and not in the right location do deal with it now.

Rick
Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you have on the front? Not dissing you buddy but wider on the rear than the front is not a performance setup, it is a show setup, looks cool I agree of course but just not something I would do. I sure wish this was a RWD car though!!!!

Rick
Ive got 225s on the front. Mainly for show - I dont plan on seriously racing... I may go out a couple times for fun, but 19s arent the best choice for autocross. I just wanna go decently fast for an everyday driver and still look good doing it. I envy you though - you are defintely on the right track for a full out performance car. :D
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VIP,
Sure did not mean to sound like I was dissing you and you do not seem to be offended which is cool

If this was a RWD I would have massive tires out back In reality I could run some 215s there and 245's up front and balance out better most likely for realy handling but just could not bring myself to do it, lol!

It is not easy but a true high performance car can look really nice as well, just have to learn how to balance it all out.

In your situation you may want to run ALOT of rear air pressure, even as high as 50 or more lbs when you autocross;)

Rick
Old 09-02-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

REVIVAL THREAD!!! RISE!!!

How is this car going? no info?