Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Leaking exhaust = rasp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Leaking exhaust = rasp?

It's been about 2 weeks or so since the install of my Magnaflow catback, which slips onto the piping 3.5" behind the 2nd catalytic converter, and is fastened with a clamp, no welding. It sounded amazing, but quiet, which is what I bought it for.

But today I had my friend run it through the rpms as I was standing behind, and lo and behold, I hear a Civic at the top of the band. Needless to say, my expression nearly instantly resembled something like this:

I'm hoping, hoping hoping hoping that a fastener has simply come loose, and that the rasp simply wasn't there the entire time. I didn't buy it with rasp in mind.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Leaking exhaust = rasp?

Originally Posted by Zebman
It's been about 2 weeks or so since the install of my Magnaflow catback, which slips onto the piping 3.5" behind the 2nd catalytic converter, and is fastened with a clamp, no welding. It sounded amazing, but quiet, which is what I bought it for.

But today I had my friend run it through the rpms as I was standing behind, and lo and behold, I hear a Civic at the top of the band. Needless to say, my expression nearly instantly resembled something like this:

I'm hoping, hoping hoping hoping that a fastener has simply come loose, and that the rasp simply wasn't there the entire time. I didn't buy it with rasp in mind.
Did you get underneath to find out if there was, in fact, a leak? It's pretty easy to detect, so if you've got an exhuast leak, you'd know it. I wouldn't expect the Magnaflow to sound raspy unless you have other mods (header, mostly).

I have the Ark dt-s catback and recently noticed an annoying raspy sound. I listened to it for a second while revving, and determined that I had a leak. Some welds broke on the resonator and there is a hairline crack on the back edge that audibly leaks when it heats up. It sounds terrible (can you spell rice?). Luckily, I contacted Ark and they were very, very helpful. Another resonator is on it's way as we speak. I had to send them a $100 deposit that I'll get back when they recieve my leaky resonator. Anyway, what I'm saying is that maybe you can contact the folks you bought the thing from and see what they can do.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just realized you said you had just recently installed the exhaust, so there shouldn't be any broken welds.....yet. So maybe it is the clamp. Is it a band clamp or a u-bolt type clamp? Did it come with the kit? I broke the band clamp that came with my exhaust so I've been using a u-bolt exhaust clamp the whole time. I also sealed that joint with high temp RTV just to make sure. And I have had no problems until these broken welds. Anyway, my advice is mainly for you to get underneath the car while it's running to see if you feel or hear anything. Other than that, I'd say you're just out of luck.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Magnaflow too, make sure the clamps are really tight, I also noticed that when my car is warming up I get rasp. Once it gets to operating temp rasp gone.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

my car rasps too i have the megan OE exhaust i checked everything but when i had jus the exhaust and no headers it was fine but as soon as i installed the header the rasp happened its normal for my setup but i never heard that happen to the magnaflow exhaust
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a 1/4" hole in the weld line of the muffler. I patched it with some sealant for now, and am now emailing Magnaflow. The rasp is gone.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
There was a 1/4" hole in the weld line of the muffler. I patched it with some sealant for now, and am now emailing Magnaflow. The rasp is gone.
Good. Hopefully magnaflow will be able to throw you a bone and send you a new one. At least your exhaust sounds good now.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Magnaflow gave me an automatic response email, that informed me that they can't do sh*t, and I have to go through the online dealer I bought it from, who hasn't gotten back to me yet. If I don't get a response by Tuesday, I will be on the warpath.