Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Legal power mods in cali?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Nothing is LEGAL in CALI.

I got a State Ref Ticket & fined for $360 for having Axle-Back Exhaust & an INJEN intake!

I now have the CARB Legal K&N Intake.

the axle back exhaust I would think it would be legal in any state. Only thing I can think of is if the db's are louder than what is legal in your state.
For example, where Im at in Colorado the max is 93. I have the Injen axle back and have never had a legal issue with it installed. Another reason why it is generally legal is because you are not you're not removing a part that is required for it to be street legal.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come to New Mexico. The cops here are too worried about those drunk or on the phone while driving.
As for exhaust I know if sound is an issue Tanabe advertises their exhausts to be under 93dB for "discreet sports driving."
Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I'll stick with the Spacer.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
nothing fun is legal in california as far as cars go, no FI, no intake, no exhaust,no lowering,no tint, no poke, no headers, no tune, nothing that effects air quality or ride height at all... nothing period,mod at your own risk,how many ppl here have been ticketed recently by that bankrupt state?
I don't know what part of cali you are referring to but their are plenty of exhausts that are legal, their are CARB legal turbos and superchargers, and I know of quite a few cars that are slammed that have never gotten a ticket or pulled over for that reason.

Yeah it kind of sucks out here as far as the rules are concerned but their are ways around it and some of you guys exaggerate way to much about what we can and can't do here..
Old 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
I don't know what part of cali you are referring to but their are plenty of exhausts that are legal, their are CARB legal turbos and superchargers, and I know of quite a few cars that are slammed that have never gotten a ticket or pulled over for that reason.

Yeah it kind of sucks out here as far as the rules are concerned but their are ways around it and some of you guys exaggerate way to much about what we can and can't do here..
im referring to SoCal, you know the fun part, try running around there slammed on coils/with poke/tinted out/full exhaust/with monster boost and see how long it lasts? not saying you wont get away with it but the OP was asking whats legal not what will pass most of the time
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tico4csun
I'll stick with the Spacer.
what's the point of getting a throttle body spacer? do you even know?

or do you really believe that it free's up some extra ponies? its not worth the money, there's NO point to it. your gonna gain -/+ 0 whp.

I think a pullykit would be your best option for Cali. its not noticeable like any other mods for the car, and I say get an OEM style axleback, but you have a 5.0 so it already has a decent TRD axleback

thank god I live in NYC the most they _____ about here is dark tints and that's bc a cop got shot in the face by a van with dark tints.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please flame me if you like, but I read the NST thread on their pulleys- however I'm curious if power mods (like pulleys,intake,axleback exhaust) are as effective on cars like mines with automatic transmissions (i got it to share with my *sigh* ex-gf). i've heard they're not so i suppose its more for sound than anything else- id just like to tell myself that i'm getting something out of it than making my car sound mean when ____ all my money on it hahah.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you install the normal intake/exhaust/pulley mods your car will sound great. You won't notice a tremendous power spike, more you'll feel a better throttle response.

You have to keep in mind what car you are modding here. Its a grocery-getter that looks pretty cool. Its a little four-banger. Thus getting much N/A power out of it is going to be really hard. Check out tCPete's thread. He has had to do a ton of work to get that extra 40-50 horsepower out of the car without any forced induction.

If you want real power out of a tC, forced induction is the only real way. Don't get me wrong, you CAN get it out via N/A, there's just a lot more work than most people are willing to do. Turbo'ing is your best bet, but is expensive and not CARB legal. Nitrous is pretty effective as well if done correctly, but again I do not believe that it is street legal.

If I were you, I'd either 1. move to a better non-communist state, or 2. get a K&N CAI, NST pulley, and some legal exhaust.

Thats just my .2¢
Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
im referring to SoCal, you know the fun part, try running around there slammed on coils/with poke/tinted out/full exhaust/with monster boost and see how long it lasts? not saying you wont get away with it but the OP was asking whats legal not what will pass most of the time
I live in orange county so I'm from so cal. Everyone just seems to make it look like every single mod you do to a car is illegal. I was just trying to point out their are plenty of CARB legal products out their just, unfortunately, most of them are not for our car specifically.

I wasn't necessarily responding to the OP..I just get kind of tired of people totally exaggerating how bad it is to live out here and have cars as a hobby..I'm well aware of what the OP was saying.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX

Hey emperor, Ive been a regular reader of scionlife for a few years now and I have no idea which exhausts other than the TRD are "legal." I mean legal in that if i get pulled over I won't be worrying about anything that's on my car. Cops don't know teh difference between axlebacks and catbacks and all that stuff, but if they see an exhaust on the car that doesnt look like it was there to begin with....than I'll get a damned ticket and have to deal with the hassle.

After some research, I've decided to go with either the apexi ws, or tanable medallion, but both are pretty expensive. I liked the greddy sp but its discontinuied and impossible to find. Crap, if any cop decides to take a closer look at my exhaust tip though, that's wasted time and money for me again. I want to tell myself to just get the TRD to be on the safe side...but it just doesn't feel right. Damned living in Cali.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel that I should point out that our cars have a harmonic dampener built into the crank pulley and removing it(by getting a pully) could lead to some serious problems down the road. With an automatic you will see no real gains(and even with a manual the gains are negligible) but this is sl so people still get(and swear by) them.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
the axle back exhaust I would think it would be legal in any state. Only thing I can think of is if the db's are louder than what is legal in your state.
For example, where Im at in Colorado the max is 93. I have the Injen axle back and have never had a legal issue with it installed..
In CO there's not an objective max sound level/decibel. I've done a lot of research on it. The law says exhaust cannot have "unusual or excessive" noise, meaning it's subjective and up to the discretion of the officer. I've gotten pulled over in my friend's SC300 and his exhaust isn't that loud.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxerrebellion
Hey emperor, Ive been a regular reader of scionlife for a few years now and I have no idea which exhausts other than the TRD are "legal." I mean legal in that if i get pulled over I won't be worrying about anything that's on my car. Cops don't know teh difference between axlebacks and catbacks and all that stuff, but if they see an exhaust on the car that doesnt look like it was there to begin with....than I'll get a damned ticket and have to deal with the hassle.

After some research, I've decided to go with either the apexi ws, or tanable medallion, but both are pretty expensive. I liked the greddy sp but its discontinuied and impossible to find. Crap, if any cop decides to take a closer look at my exhaust tip though, that's wasted time and money for me again. I want to tell myself to just get the TRD to be on the safe side...but it just doesn't feel right. Damned living in Cali.
You can get your exhaust ref'd for free and use it for proof when you get pulled over.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
You can get your exhaust ref'd for free and use it for proof when you get pulled over.
whoa i didn't know that! ro_ja you're down in socal right?

yeah im not sure norcal cops are quite that cool yet....what mods do you have on your ride? im curious cuz i believe i remember you have an automatic too. haha dont worry i wont copy your exact mods- jsut trying to get an idea of my plans for my own car.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa i didn't know that! ro_ja you're down in socal right?

yeah im not sure norcal cops are quite that cool yet....what mods do you have on your ride? im curious cuz i believe i remember you have an automatic too. haha dont worry i wont copy your exact mods- jsut trying to get an idea of my plans for my own car.
SoCal for school, home in NorCal lol

I have the ARC box and Tanabe Concept G. I got a ticket for my exhaust last year at HIN San Mateo. I knew my exhaust was legal, so I got ahold of the ref station at Oxnard College, made an appointment, and got my car ref'd. It was free and now I carry around the proof just in case. They don't care about intakes or whatever too, just the exhaust system.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^you are correct, i got a ticket for mine too and had to go get it tested at the state ref and passed. got pulled over again about a month later and showed the cop the papers of the exhaust from the state ref and he got ticked off that i wasn't going down easy. but even more when he asked me to roll up my windows (never had tints in the front) and i could of sworm i saw smoke coming out of his ears from failing at trying to give me a ticket lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^aciddrop, i think that is exactly what the OP and I are afraid of happening hahahahah damned.

ro_ja- u mind me asking what college you go to in norcal? how do u know search where the ref stations are?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ro_ja- u mind me asking what college you go to in norcal? how do u know search where the ref stations are?
I go to college in SoCal, not NorCal.

Call (800) 622-7733 to schedule an appointment with a Referee Center.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...e_centers.html

Just tell them you'd like to schedule and appointment to test the dB levels of your car as a precaution. It was a free test when I did it, and I don't believe that has changed. When you call, they'll tell you the closest places to get your car tested.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks ro_ja will do! good luck w/ school & enjoy the summer!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks! hope things work out for you! keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Legal power mods in cali?