Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Lightening internals...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lightening internals...

I was wondering what the effect of:

Getting lighter pistons...
lighter rods...(titanium)

-would be??
Old 05-08-2005, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The effects would be a lighter wallet, a much lighter wallet. lol They would have to be custom, because there aren't even any forged rods or pistons out in any material at the moment. The effects would be dramatic increase in their strength, and if the valvetrain were upgraded as well, could allow for a higher redline. But, before upping the redline, you'd want to make sure the engine power curve doesn’t drop off past the current redline. Those parts would also be lighter than stock, which means less energy would be needed to get those parts into motion, thereby freeing up a % of power that would otherwise have been lost (albeit a small %). With custom pistons, you could increase or decrease the compression ratio, depending on your goals for the car. However, since I don’t know what your goals are, I couldn’t really recommend if they’d be worth the high cost or not.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thrawn
The effects would be a lighter wallet, a much lighter wallet. lol They would have to be custom, because there aren't even any forged rods or pistons out in any material at the moment. The effects would be dramatic increase in their strength, and if the valvetrain were upgraded as well, could allow for a higher redline. But, before upping the redline, you'd want to make sure the engine power curve doesn’t drop off past the current redline. Those parts would also be lighter than stock, which means less energy would be needed to get those parts into motion, thereby freeing up a % of power that would otherwise have been lost (albeit a small %). With custom pistons, you could increase or decrease the compression ratio, depending on your goals for the car. However, since I don’t know what your goals are, I couldn’t really recommend if they’d be worth the high cost or not.
I want more low end torque...
Kinda preparing for F/I when the time comes...
Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcsciontist
Unless you're aiming for some kind of 400+ whp turbo charged monster, then I would suggest that you leave the internals alone. ScionSpeed is pushing 450+whp on stock internals and the engine is still running. That does not mean that the engine can handle that type of power in the long run, they haven’t torn the engine down to check for stress on the various components (as far as I know). But, the very fact that the engine hasn’t failed already with that kind of power is a testament to its strength. I'm guessing that you're looking at a Stage 0 or 1 ZPI kit, Stage 1 or 2 ScionSpeed kit, or the TRD Supercharger package as a possible future upgrade. If you're thinking about going the supercharger route then for more low end torque now, you could look into replacing everything from the header on back. Alphawerks has a very good header out right now. Draxas is also coming out with one. DC's and Megan's I would personally not recommend, atm. The Alphawerks header is a 4-1, so its more focused on top end power. But, that header in combination with a full exhaust system (replacement s-pipe, cat, mid-pipe, etc) should work well together to give HP and torque across the entire powerband. Creative Compact, Draxas, and Alphawerks all have full exhaust systems in the works or already out. They use 2.5" piping which appears to be a pretty good size for the 2AZ naturally aspirated, but also should be free flowing enough for F/I (although obviously 3" would be better in such an instance). If you plan on going turbo then if you buy a header, you'll end having to get rid of it, since the turbo manifold (either log style or header style) will replace it. Any intake you get now you take the risk of having to replace it with one that will fit properly with the turbo or supercharger. But the header and exhaust should be enough to give you a noticeable increase in power across the RPM range.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you're trying to gauge weight savings from switching to light weight internal engine parts... correct?

You need to not TOUCH the motor on your car until you learn WTF you're doing.

Not trying to be a dick but don't get in over your head or you're going to be yelling "I got a tC!! Look at meeee!!" from your driveway with a busted ___ car.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monSSter-tC
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you're trying to gauge weight savings from switching to light weight internal engine parts... correct?

Not trying to be a dick but don't get in over your head or you're going to be yelling "I got a tC!! Look at meeee!!" from your driveway with a busted ___ car.
He said he wants more low end torque, and was wondering if lightened internal components would do that for him. I dont think he's trying to cut down on the weight of the car. At least, that's not how I read it.

tcsciontist wrote:
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He said he wants more low end torque, and was wondering if lightened internal components would do that for him. I dont think he's trying to cut down on the weight of the car. At least, that's not how I read it.

tcsciontist wrote:
Correct!!

I currently have over 200 lbs in stereo equipment in my car now...

I don't want weight reduction...I want my current weight, and THEN the power to push that weight...

I am not the kind of person to add tons of weight in subs...then put a carbon fiber hood on my car to lighten myself...

I like to go custom on a lot of things...and was wondering a rough estimate, on the effects (power band, redline, hp, torque) these changes would do...

Not to be a Dick or anything (ironically enough, that is my name)...

the "tc look at me" bit is just an attempt at me trying to make a joke...which fails about 90% of the time...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tcsciontist wrote:
Shows me for not reading all the posts.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct!!

I don't want weight reduction...I want my current weight, and THEN the power to push that weight...

I am not the kind of person to add tons of weight in subs...then put a carbon fiber hood on my car to lighten myself...

I like to go custom on a lot of things...and was wondering a rough estimate, on the effects (power band, redline, hp, torque) these changes would do...

the "tc look at me" bit is just an attempt at me trying to make a joke...which fails about 90% of the time...
That's a lot of stereo equipment. ^^ If F/I is not an immediate goal for you, meaning you may or may not eventually, and if you do it wont be anytime soon, then I would suggest the 3 basic bolt-ons (even though you may have to replace some if you go F/I). Intake, header and exhaust. Check out the dyno from Alphawerks of a tC w/ their intake, header, exhaust (but w/o the replacement s-pipe that they're currently working on) and throttle body. That's pretty much what you can expect in terms of the effect those parts will have on the power curve. But, if I were you, I would hold off on the intake and exhaust atm. I would wait a couple of months to see how Draxas', Alphawerks', Injen's, and AEM's products compare to each other. You'd be pretty safe with the Alphawerks header right now though.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Titanium rods
Do you have any idea how much that would cost? You'd be surprised how much forged rods (Carillo, Pauter, Crower, ) with installation would cost.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct!!

That's a lot of stereo equipment. ^^ If F/I is not an immediate goal for you, meaning you may or may not eventually, and if you do it wont be anytime soon, then I would suggest the 3 basic bolt-ons (even though you may have to replace some if you go F/I). Intake, header and exhaust. Check out the dyno from Alphawerks of a tC w/ their intake, header, exhaust (but w/o the replacement s-pipe that they're currently working on) and throttle body. That's pretty much what you can expect in terms of the effect those parts will have on the power curve. But, if I were you, I would hold off on the intake and exhaust atm. I would wait a couple of months to see how Draxas', Alphawerks', Injen's, and AEM's products compare to each other. You'd be pretty safe with the Alphawerks header right now though.
That's what I've already thought of...

That's why I'm going internal instaed of bolt on...because no matter what I do int he future, I won't have to change anything, or replace anything...I'll have better parts, and be set for more power...

PS...My goal is roughly 250 HP...I don't want extreme...
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what I've already thought of...

That's why I'm going internal instaed of bolt on...because no matter what I do int he future, I won't have to change anything, or replace anything...I'll have better parts, and be set for more power...

PS...My goal is roughly 250 HP...I don't want extreme...
You're already set for more power. 250hp? The 2AZ could handle that in its sleep (might need a replacement clutch, however). As has already been pointed out by retrodrive and myself, the cost of replacing those internal parts is expensive, exceptionally so for titanium. Unless you're going to get higher compression pistons, then you'd get more performance out of the bolt ons, and come out much cheaper. And if you did get higher compression pistons, you'd have to replace them with a set of lower compression ones if you decided to go F/I. I sincerely feel for your power goal, bullet proofing the bottom end would be a huge miss-use of money.