Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

A little help with pcv and breather filters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A little help with pcv and breather filters.

Alright well I decide to try and see how this mod would work after I saw it perfromance probe.

After I opened up the engine cover the there are two hoses one from the front of the engine that goes to the intake pipeing after the filter, and the second from the back of the block goes into the intake manifold.

Now I figured that Id disconect both the hoses from where they are going to (one to the intake and one to the manifold) and put breather filters in the end of the them of where they used to connect to and plug up the holes on the intake tube and on the intake manifold.

Anything wrong with this? or does it sound about right?

btw after diconecting the tube from the manifold and looking at it there is a ton of sludge in the hose and on the hole that it plugs into and the one that goes to the intake seems clean.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you tell us.go out there and drive the crap out your car and give us a report.although i dont think it'll help you out any.but i could be wrong
Old 03-05-2006, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm well its done. Anyone thinking of doing this make sure you plug the old hole on the intake manifold with something that wont have any vacume, i was stupid and pluged it with electric tape while driving to r&s strauss to pick up a plug and what do you know discovered that my car would stall every time it would go below 2000 rpm heh enot fun at all. (The electric tape fell off)

But yeah installed it and now in idle the car smells a little like gas or exhaust but drtiving is fine. I wasnt expecting some perfomance upgrade i did this to keep the sludge out of the intake manifold and let me tell you somethign that hose was full of it, disgusting.

Iam going to keep track of gas mileage and any changes so far there is no changes no stalling (other then from vacume) and I willpost up pictures of what it looks like when done.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually it will give a little gain , because the un metered air that it was pulling from the crankcase is now being metered by the MAF . however after time the engine is going to become the place that all "the sludge that used to get burned off " now gets built up . and yes its going to give u a terrible smell .
Old 03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Yes i thought about the sludge thing in the engine, and I checked the filter they capture pretty much all of the sludge theonly thing coming out of the filter is vapor - I checked it out and it doesnt seem to be coating anything. Now ofcourse this is only a day after i installed these and indeed after time the sludge might start building up on the engine - but hehe i already got solutions for it - a change the filter often so the sludge doenst come out - b wash the engine bay (something that should be done regardless) c - if the problem persists i will be getting catch cans before the filter and then sending it to the filter.

Btw - the sludge in the filters that built up it truely disgusting and this is only a day after installing upon further looking into the hose that used to go to the intake is also pretty dirty if not as dirty as the intake manifold one. Dont care about emissions so i will never route that crap back into my engine.

The smell is actually not as bad as I expected it to be its only noticeble at idle and not all the time. the solution to the smell is make the air going into the car recirculate not come from the engine bay.

I will post pictures and a small diy if anyone is intersted. And after a day of driving I did notice a small difference in response from the engine not sure if that has anything to do with it. The response is minutly better.