Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Loud noise when slowing down!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Loud noise when slowing down!

I cant seem to figure out what this loud noise is or where its coming from. But this morning when I woke up and drove to get a soda I heard a loud noise coming from the front of the car when slowing down. It didnt matter if I was in gear or neutral, or if I hit the brakes or just coasted. I would continue to make this wierd noise. Im unsure if its anything I installed recently which would be the Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, Raceland CAI, Tsudo 4-2-1 header with spipe or the NST Underdrive crank pulley. It doesnt sound like ticking but a much deeper sound and tone to it and only happens when slowing down. When its idle its fine, if I rev it' its fine, if I accelerate its fine, but when I slow down I hear an annoying noise coming from the motor. My TC is a 5 speed manual with 70k on it, any suggestions! Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's probably the transmission gears you are hearing due to the recent Energy Suspension Motor Mounts you put in. Mine kind of sounds like a "tshh tshh tshh" then it gets constant as the gear drags the car slower. Once I apply a load, the gears are touch constantly and the sound goes away. It's all about sound transfer.

This is just an idea based on what I've seen so look into it and make sure it's nothing more important or dangerous.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im just a tad nervous. I installed that crap a week ago and havent heard this noise till today! I guess the only way to know is throw her up on jackstands and take a good long look at her!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Even when I turn off the car and coast it still makes a dadadadadadada noise... Interesting!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
Scikotics
SL Member

You might want to double check everything you installed. Could be just some things getting adjusted to ur car, good be something wrong. maybe go to the dealership and have it looked at?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It starts making that noise around 25 to 30 mph and then continues all the way to a complete stop. Doesnt matter if car is on or off, in gear or in neutral, its starts making that noise around 30 and keeps going until fully stopped. Only thing I can think of is a wheel bearing!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheel bearing will be continuous and would sound like a low grinding
Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar noise when I decelerated using the gears to slow me down. Turned out to be my S pipe rubbing to the cross member that is near it.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Even with the car off and throwing her in neutral she still makes the same noise! Its just wierd! I have to put her on some jackstands tomorrow and give her a good look!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I spun the wheels and it sounds like something is going da da da when spinning the left one so im getting somewhere. Now I just gotta figure out exactly what it is!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wheel bearing seems like it could be the culprit, unless your brakes are F'ed up.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just had my bestfriend check it out and he found the culprit. That clicking noise is coming from inside my gearbox/transmission. You cant hear it while accelerating, only when slowing down. Like I said it doesnt matter if the car is on or off, in gear or in neutral, or hitting the brakes or coasting it still makes that noise and most noticeably around 25 mph all the way to a complete stop. Its a 2007 Scion TC with 73k miles on it, what in gods name is the problem now! Im getting sick of this car!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It also drives perfectly fine, shifts fine and the clutch feels normal. So Im confused!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you changed out the trans oil before? if not, might want to make the switch from OEM to Eneos to see if that helps any.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No ive never changed or even checked my transmission oil. But at 39k I had my clutch changed by Girard Toyota and im sure they changed my tranny oil!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They would have to if they changed your clutch. It's literally not possible to do it without draining and filling again. You can check the level of fluid pretty easily though. Just unscrew the side plug on the trans case and see if the fluid is level with the hole (or close to it). The car must be on level terrain though so all four wheels need to go up or put it on a lift.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok bro ill check it today. Im really hoping thats what it is. I will admit I do drive my car pretty damn hard so anything can be expected. My friend suspects one of the teeth on the gears broke off but I dont know and I guess I never will unless I rip the tranny off or wait till it breaks. There has been no change in performance or drivability, just that damn noise coming from within the gearbox. Appreciate the help! Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, check the tranny oil and see if it needs to be changed out. i know i get some noise to, but while im driving i hear a wooommm wooommm woooommm noise when im going about 35-45 i think? and i know my tranny gears are loud since i got the ES motor mounts but that's known to happen. no noise like you explained.... i coasted the car in neutral to see if i cound make the same noise but couldn't come up with anything...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure its from the gearbox?
its weird that its only occurring when you apply the brakes and not when accelerating.

I had a a problem with my brakes making a clicking noise that would get louder and louder from around 40 mph it would tick then the sound would get longer and louder, turned out to be my brakes and caliper needed cleaning and lube.

I would also check that just incase.

but if your certain its the gearbox do what the previous posters mentioned.

Goodluck hope you can fix this problem, bc unwanted noise is just plain aggravating

Quick Reply: Loud noise when slowing down!