Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

low-rpm power mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default low-rpm power mods?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to tuning but it seems like most mods out there are geared towards giving you top end power... looking at dynos for headers, intakes, and exhaust it looks like they give you nothing in low end and actually sometimes takes away power...

anyway, for normal driving i'm always within the 2-4k rpm range... is there any mods out there that would give any kind of boost in that range? other than F/I?

and even with F/I, a turbo gives you mainly top end power too right? so is a supercharger the only good option?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbos can give full boost at a lower rpm

a custom turbo setup with a quick spooling ball bearing turbo would give you power in the range you're using (as well as above)
Old 07-27-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A screw or roots type supercharger would help But even the trd will be centrifugal, which still exhibits lag, although many times not quite as pronounced as a turbo, it is still there.

Here is how to look at it. HP = (tq * rpm)/5252. You want to increase torque in this application. So one thing NOT to do is use a light weight flywheel. You could start with a camcom and try tweaking the timing curves to optimize for lower rpm performance. Lighter weight 17" wheels would help you get more use out of your power across the whole band, especially at launch.

Sorry, not a ton of info, but a little anyways.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member

hmm, so besides F/I, there's really nothing to add or replace on the engine that would help?

just tuning the engine and getting lighter tires?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sticky tires and lighter wheels would definitely help in that department. Any type of weight reduction would get the car off the line more quickly and make the throttle responce feel better than it currently does. And in my experience getting a set of lightweight underdrive pulleys has helped out. Good luck man
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also add engine mounts, but unfortunately none are available for the TC yet.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

best low end power = upgrades on respones. such as

lighter flywheel, better clutch, lighter rims,

but if u insist on power mods. its not really needed because we already have low end power from our cams.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member

hmm.. i guess with all the talk on these forums about getting more hp out of the engine i never really thought about upgrading the parts that actually get the power to the wheels...

definately something to look into now... thanks all.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sport cam shafts
Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Header, Complete catback should offer nice gains at lowend.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

but if u insist on power mods. its not really needed because we already have low end power from our cams.
The lighter flywheel I have to disagree on. Lighter flywheels make a faster revving engine, but kill you on a launch. You will hurt your effective low end torque by going lighter.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4-1 headers kills low end and header back exhaust also does because u lose backpressure.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member

what about something like ignition equalizer kit from Weapon R or grounding kits? Supposedly, they are suppose to give better throttle response? I dont how how much it will help with increased power but it mite help with launching better.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

yeah i've heard some people say the ground kit helps with that throttle delay and i've heard other people say it does absolutely nothing...

i doubt it makes a noticable difference, but i figure it can't hurt, so as soon i find a place that sells 4 or 8 guage wire around here or a place online i can order it from cheap, i'm going to make my own and see if it helps.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member

and as far as the headers go, a 4-2-1 won't take away low end power right?

but then as far as i know the only option is the DC Sports, which i haven't heard anything good about yet.

and then if you don't get a wider s-pipe and exhaust doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of a more free-flowing header? but then once you go wider, like hilow said, you lose back pressure.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hilow
4-1 headers kills low end and header back exhaust also does because u lose backpressure.
I gained low end with my alphawerks.

I understand your theory behind the statement but it didn't come true with my otherwise OEM tC.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

The lighter flywheel I have to disagree on. Lighter flywheels make a faster revving engine, but kill you on a launch. You will hurt your effective low end torque by going lighter.
I think you're partially right. In his application of the matter it will hurt him seeing as how he's only talking about daily driving from 2-4k rpms... so this getting new clutch and lightweight flyhweel won't help him really. As for the launch, a lightweight flywheel has substantially less rotating inertia than does a stock flywheel, and thus when it comes into contact with the clutch it will tend to bog compared to the stock fly. Revving higher before launch will cure the bogging as it will apply more torque to the flywheel and thus the clutch, and overcome the bog before it has a chance to affect the drive train. But since he's only talking about driving down the street at 2-4k like to the store or something...well, that's useless to him and will make the car "harder" to drive. Flywheels help the car rev faster to get it into the optimum power band faster, and then rev through the power band faster...that's if you're driving with some spirit. I think what he's asking about is things that will make the car more responsive on the street, and thus easier to drive. Flywheels wouldn't be the way to go, but perhaps a clutch would be as it *could* improve the overall feel of the vehicle. At the end of the day a flywheel does not affect the torque output of an engine, but it does has some affect on the transmission of torque to the drive train components. It doesn't always mean death to low end torque.

-Tide
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ so under what circumstance would a lighter fly wheel help, high end?

I probably should be able to reason through it, and come up with the answer on my own, but to be honest, I was at work for 16 hours yesterday, and haven't slept nearly enough for coherent thought
Old 07-28-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hilow
Your general assumption regarding the 4 in 1 header, is inaccurate and untrue, also the whole whole back pressure issue is murky at best and many experts consider it a myth. I have 4-1 Alphawerk header, and i drive an auto and gained quite a bit on the lowend and have the dynos to prove it. There is alot to having an adequate exhaust system, and the gist of such a system is exhaust velocity,i.e pipe diameter. This has been proven over and over again. So please keep unproven or misinformed comments to a minimum.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Backpressure is true because with my dc sport headers (which are 4-1) and my header back 2.5 piping with a resonator and no cats kill my lowend, but gained top end. Now every race i have is different, i dont get the jump i use to get. Now i keep up on midrange/top end better.

Quick Reply: low-rpm power mods?