Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

low-rpm power mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aftermarket cams will help and a stroker kit would help.

In the end, if you want massive amounts of torque, theres no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hilow
Backpressure is true because with my dc sport headers (which are 4-1) and my header back 2.5 piping with a resonator and no cats kill my lowend, but gained top end. Now every race i have is different, i dont get the jump i use to get. Now i keep up on midrange/top end better.
that's because you have too large diameter piping for the amount of horsepower you're running. 2.25" would give you broader gains. 2.5" is for around 250hp
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

On any small engine your hp advantage is rpm. It is easier to gain higher rpm with them than it is to add torque. The tq is already impressive on the tC, so I would worry more about internals and building for higher rpms if you are really serious about it after considering cams, tuning and FI.

And backpressure is not what helps. It is the mix of freeflowing exhaust but still small enough to keep velocity high for the sake of scavenging that helps. Backpressure is simply a byproduct of not going too large on the exhuast. Also, if you have it flowing too freely your system may have trouble correcting for the extra amount of air, but that is in an extreme case.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
On any small engine your hp advantage is rpm. It is easier to gain higher rpm with them than it is to add torque. The tq is already impressive on the tC, so I would worry more about internals and building for higher rpms if you are really serious about it after considering cams, tuning and FI.
I agree. Does any one know of any internals being made for the tC? I would imagine there are some that would fit. I read somewhere that the block walls cannot support boring, and I don't think that stroking is a good plan because the tC already has a less than ideal bore/stroke ratio. Has ZPI confirmed whether or not their new (Stage 1 is it?) head package will give a significant red line gain? I seem to recall somewhere around 8k red line.

A good strong torque set up would come with higher compression pistons, intake, headers, exhaust, s-pipe, a head package of some form(or at least a valve job and cam work) and lots of tuning. There's no cutting involved and hopefully you could avoid honing if you stuck with stock bore. That way you could keep your sleeves etc. tC has pretty good displacement for a 4 cyl. That's if you wanted to stay N/A(and that would make for a very quick, pretty reliable, and really cool sounding car). You could always turbo the ____ out of it with new internals and good tuning, and run low boost on the street.... that would be some torque lol.

Just my nickel -3.

-Tide
Old 07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to REV the thing up past 4K if you need more power, like up near the peak power range of the engine?

Am I missing something here? Aren't most people looking to get additional power from the engine that's not currently there with these kind of mods...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Has anyone even developed some good cams yet for the tC??

I would like to know that one.

Also, I agree that a lighter flywheel is not great on the street. I had one on my cav and it sucked for daily driving...however at the track, it was great.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe our cams are highly adjustable, so you won't necessarily be looking at new cams so much as camcon.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure if engifineer will back me up on this or not, but from my understanding of exhaust in terms of backpressure, the known myth of "backpressure is needed for the car to move" needs to be quashed.

From my understanding, backpressure is caused by all the components in the exhaust system. The header or exhaust manifold creates backpressure because the length of the pipe from the exhaust port to the collector is different in size from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4, the two outside cylinders are longer. This will pose as a problem with the exhaust pulses. that is why you see built motors with "length matched" headers. This makes the exhaust pulses even so that they dont collide at the collector. Making sure you have a length matched header will help to gain power in the low end because it doesnt restrict exhaust gases from leaving the engine. The muffler is designed mainly to reduce the sound the exhaust pulses create. You can always go with a high flow muffler with a bigger exhaust pipe to aid in reducing backpressure and therefore gaining the power lost by the factory exhaust. Remember, the factory exhaust is designed for people who drive 'normal', meaning average speed of 45-65. people driving faster will notice the lack in power whereas the people driving slower wont. you will also want to go with a high flow cat, that way you pass emissions, as well as allow the exhaust gasses to leave the exhaust ports faster. This high flow exhaust system will free up all the lost power that was taken by the factory restricting exhaust. You can then work on your intake side, by increasing you intake manifold. If there aren't any on the market, you can always try a machine shop and have one made, which might be a bit expensive. A better intake system will also increase you throttle response. Pipercross makes a great inline filter system which gives quick uptake and helps improve throttle response, as well as makes it more versatile for custom mounting. Hope this helps in your search for small power gains. You won't need to worry about the fuel delivery unless you have some serious power going, because those factory injectors should be rated at up to 200Hp or so.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok no back pressure arguement.

we have already gone through this countless number of times.

lets stick to the idea of low end power and thats it. no sub arguments please
Old 07-31-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you talking about, that is main contribution to low-end power.