Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Maintenance 101 --Understanding your tCs' engine--

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thank you.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jayjr
Imagine with the image above, that the explosion occurs before the piston reaches the point where the explosion should occur, you're going to experience pre-ignition because the 87 octane fuel cannot be compressed as much as 91 octane can be. Even though the high-compression piston is designed to travel further than the factory piston, it doesn't due to early explosion.
More false info, the piston will never travel less than its "supposed to" other wise it would reverse the rotation of the crank.
I edited this part. What I had meant to refer to was the space inside the cylinder, not as much as the actual travel of the piston. I was trying to explain it from the point of view for the piston, not the volume of the cylinder.

Originally Posted by soros151
The only thing a High Compression piston is different than the OEM is that it might have a higher top to create the compression.
^i was trying to point out that since the high compression piston had a higher top it ultimately traveled further. The stroke doesn't in fact change, but the space being compressed does because the piston (even though its such a minute amount) takes up more space in the cylinder...

Does that justify?

I apologize for "misinforming" but for newcomers it's a complex explination that i'm trying to simply explain. If you guy catch errors please let me know (on a pm would be nice) So I can fix it. Keep in mind I never said I'm a guru on this stuff...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry htown, but you are incorrect. The ENTIRE section on detonation was false from every concept. Nothing about it was correct and even stated that the knocking was the sound of the piston hitting the valve. That is not a mistake made from making it "simple", it is a mistake made because he did not know the information. So I was not out of line for correcting him. Sorry, I just believe that anything that people want stickied should be correct to begin with. But hey... whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And TrueSlide, I wasnt bashing you for taking the time to write up the thread, that is apreciated. But you and I both knew that you were missing on the concepts, thus posted incorrect info. I really dont mean to bash you for not knowing it either. But everyone that didnt know any better was wanting put this up as a sticky, when it would have just spread more misinformation.

Again, sorry if I came off harsh
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I have to agree with engifineer - a sticky implies GOOD information, and clearly, some if it's just wrong, if not misleading.
Props for doing it - just do it right and it will be good for people to see.
Don't take it as "you're stupid" take it as constructive criticism that needs tweaking.

Scott
Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^that's how I was taking it. I corrected the information that was incorrect the first time around. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect from the get-go. I knew that some of the more experienced people would put in their two cents and call me on anything that was incorrect.

So I edited the article in the sections pointed out. If it suffices the mods now maybe they'll sticky it as long as it's correct, I too agree with both of you when you say it should be good factual information.

Constructive criticism appreciated and the tweaks were made, and thanks again to those who pointed out errors. I wish there was a way to post this up for mods or more experienced people to review and put in their input and two cents, this way all information could be accurate before being released. I agree with you guys 100%, but you all know it's alot of information to digest and then divulge so less familiar people can understand it.

Thanks guys, if there is anything else you catch let me know so I can correct it. It should be good now.

And we're good engifineer.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool, I'll get you a beer.... well, it may get flat after fedex gets it there ... :D
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, it's all good. If there's evey a national meet we'll chill there.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to ask a stupid question, but is our engine a NON-INTERFERANCE ?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no. Engifineer corrected that earlier. I believe it uses a timing chain. From my understanding.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrueSlide
no. Engifineer corrected that earlier. I believe it uses a timing chain. From my understanding.
2AZFE uses a timing chain.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It does have a chain, but it is still non-interference. I believe the only engines since 80 (or maybe even earlier) that toyota has built that were interference were a couple in the late 80's if I am not mistaken, for the corolla. Dont quote me on those exact years and models, but most of thier engines since are non-interference.

Interference just means that if the chain/belt breaks, there is a possibilty of the piston contact the valve due to the timing being off. For example, when the cam stops turning, the furthest open valve will be in the way of the pistons movement.

In a non-interference engine, even a fully open valve is out of the way of the piston, so there is no danger of the piston hitting if the timing chain/belt breaks.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Dont quote me on those exact years and models, but most of thier engines since are non-interference.
OK, we won't make a sticky with that "questionable" info

Scott