Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MAJOR DOWNSIDE of cold air intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MAJOR DOWNSIDE of cold air intakes?

Ihave a question, I heard that there's a MAJOR DOWNSIDE on the cold air induction systems. Since it's a COLD AIR intake and not a regular intake, it'll be longer so it can be extended to the near bottom of the car and get the colder air thus giving it more HP. BUT! The major downside is that if you come across a puddle or something like that, there's a good chance that the water will get sucked into the engine from the intake since it's so close to the floor and ultimately destroying the engine. So i was told that the only way to prevent this is to put it in Neutral and turn off ur engine, and turn it back on when u have passed the puddle. Can anyone tell me how true this is?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha. im gonna say noooooooo on this one. i think you might do more damage doing that, rather than just driving over it. cases i've seen, is where they've parked in a puddle where its submerged. driving over a puddle will not shut your engine down. it would also have to be water covering the whole filter, otherwise it would just get a little air. if your really worried, install a bypass valve i suppose. i dont think you need to worry though
Old 02-25-2005, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

dude you should be fine what do you think the splash gaurd is
for and you would have to go in a pretty deep puddel.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are 2 downsides to CAI

1) You sacrifice a little low end torque.
2) Hydrolocking (water entrering engine) - Some intakes come with a water bypass valve to direct water out, but even it it doesn't, it'll take more than simply running through a puddle to cause hydrolock.

A mere puddle will not cause water to go into the intake basically because when your front tire hits the puddle, your CAI is already past it. You'd have to hit a mighty deep puddle to force water up there, in which case I'd worry about hydroplaning. Putting the car in Neutral would do nothing, the engine is still running therefore still sucking air. So to be safe, get one with a bypass valve and you'll be fine.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then i have another question. u guys know all those hoods with scopes or "holes" or w/e. Didnt they think of what will happen if it's raining and the water goes into the engine area as well as the intake?? I'm just wondering. Pls do correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Scoops are great for cars with carbs or top mounted intercoolers. Vented hoods help hot air escape from the engine bay. In japan and surrounding areas. Hood spacers are really hot right now. If you have a short ram intake such as the secret weapon. I'd recommend either the vented hood, or save yourself 700 bucks and just buy hood spacers But vented hoods and hood scoops while driving shouldn't let much water into the engine bay or around your intake. Parked in the rain. Your engine is most likely not running anyway. If you are worried about water getting near your intake. Then once again I'd recommend hood spacers instead of a vented hood.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pls dont laugh when I ask, what is a hood spacers again? (?_?)
Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Hood spacers are just lil rubber spacers for your hood. Its not very cosmetic. It lifts the hood a little bit where the hinges are and lets hot air escape through the space.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A limited amount of water going into the engine is ok. Rally cars used to (may not be allowed now) put a fuel injector just before the intercooler spraying WATER into the air about to go into the engine. The reason for this is that water has such a high heat capacity that it would further cool the intake air temp enough that more air could be compressed into the cylinders. Meaning more available oxygen to burn, so more fuel could be used, so more peak horsepower.
So I wouldn't sweat a little puddle splashing or rainwater on the infuent air to your engine.
It becomes a problem when the volume of water in the cylinders steals enough 'air space' that the total air compression ration exceeds 11:1 for regular gasoline, detonation begins to occur. As the amount of water increases, air pressure increases exponentially on the cylinder walls and piston head. At the same time the rapid and uneven tempature drop of parts in contact with water can cause them to warp and distort.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

blah, i nevered put on a cai because of im afraid of hydrolocking my motor. a bypass valve is added security if you have a cai, but i am rather skeptic about it function 100% of the time. most people that i have spoken to, they have said the bypass valve only functions when the entire filter is submerged in water. hmmm, i no idea if there is some or any truth to their statements. i prefer a short ram anyways.

my buddies friend, mike, had a aem cai(with bypass valve) on his 95 accord. he accidently drove right into a deep puddle during one of those rainy florida days. hydrolocked his motor and stalled right in the puddle. made a nice big crack in the engine block as well. since then, he swapped a h22a in there. this was the incident that discouraged me from ever buying a cai.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

plus... the little water (if it did) get into the intake would probably get hot and steam away by the time it would ever enter yer engine.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Water turns to steam at 212F, so you're telling me the air stream is hot enough to steam water. Plus even if it did turn to steam, where's it gonna go? It'll follow the air stream right into the intake manifold.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blitzcat
A limited amount of water going into the engine is ok. Rally cars used to (may not be allowed now) put a fuel injector just before the intercooler spraying WATER into the air about to go into the engine. The reason for this is that water has such a high heat capacity that it would further cool the intake air temp enough that more air could be compressed into the cylinders. Meaning more available oxygen to burn, so more fuel could be used, so more peak horsepower.
So I wouldn't sweat a little puddle splashing or rainwater on the infuent air to your engine.
It becomes a problem when the volume of water in the cylinders steals enough 'air space' that the total air compression ration exceeds 11:1 for regular gasoline, detonation begins to occur. As the amount of water increases, air pressure increases exponentially on the cylinder walls and piston head. At the same time the rapid and uneven tempature drop of parts in contact with water can cause them to warp and distort.

the srt-4's also do this if you get there turbo toys upgrade for it

http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4_stage2.htm
http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4_stage3.htm
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Water turns to steam at 212F, so you're telling me the air stream is hot enough to steam water. Plus even if it did turn to steam, where's it gonna go? It'll follow the air stream right into the intake manifold.
to heaven
Old 03-01-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, I'm glad someone started this topic. I have been debating a warm versus cold air intake since I bought my car in August. Naturally, I want to let the engine breathe as effeciently as possible. My primary concern is that the air temperature where I live is too cold, and if I use a cold air intake, my engine will run at lower than normal operating temperature. That would mean, among other things, decreased interior heater performance. You all seem to be very knowledgeable; what do you recommend for my application?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My gut is telling me you should be better off with a short ram. The air in the engine compartment would be warmer compared to pulling the air from the bottom of the bumper. Short ram would increase your air volume but can anyone say if there would be that big of a difference in temp between a CAI and a Short ram?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Porsche 924 and 944 have an OPEN duct right into
the wheel well and has been that way since the late 70's.
Mine takes up water all the time, but the length of the piping
makes it near impossible for that mild air flow to suck in
any water.

I can't imagine a naturally asperated 1.5L having enough
suck to pull any noticable water through the filter. You'd
probably get a blocked up filter long before you'd get
hydrolock.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The major downside to a CAI, or any after market intake for that matter is that you can't use it with a TURBO!

Plus, it's so damn hot here in Vegas, I dont' know how much of a difference it would make. The asphault gets so hot here.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you guys are that worried about your intakes --- you better already have new pipes because your gains will be cut in 1/2. Also - I think you are right - keep your stock filter and forget about the intake. In another month people will be talking more about the supercharger.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

New pipes what do you mean enlighten me. I dont know what you mean by this

Quick Reply: MAJOR DOWNSIDE of cold air intakes?