Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Making a N/A TC with prospects of forced induction in future

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Making a N/A TC with prospects of forced induction in future

Sup anyone considering in making a N/A TC with thoughts of forced induction in the future? To make a N/A TC what factors would you have to consider prior to taking on the task? What mods will make more go for your buck? Pretty much the basic mods I have researched and found to help with the task are: higher compression forged pistons, better spark delivery, header, CAI(or short ram), Exhaust system of some sort, better cams(if they even have any for sale at the moment), some form of EMS?, am I missing anything? this is just a rough listing heck I don't even know if some of the items listed have stuff for the TC yet. The goal is to have a strong engine, keep it N/A but still be able to go FI in the future. Any of you car junkies wanna answer this?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well first if you plan to go FI, stay away from higher compression pistons. For FI, you want lower compression like somewhere in the 8's (depends on amount of boost). The cams are fine, CAI and header would be replaced when you go FI (assuming turbo, just CAI if S/C), a 2.5" exhaust would be fine. You might want to look at a port and polish on your cylinder head, you'd see a large benefit here. If you plan high amounts of boost, because of the open-deck design of the block, get the water jackets reinforced and cylinders resleeved (Mucho $$$). Also add in an upgraded clutch and LSD, that'll benefit you regardless of what route you take.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you get a turbo kit everything will be provided except...
3 inch full-catback exhaust (needed for turbo/SC)

FOR N/A
3 inch full-catback exhaust (needed for turbo/SC)
Headers (must be removed for turbo)
Intake system (must be removed for turbo/SC)
Heavy duty TRD racing clutch and pressure plate (needed for high output engines and those who like the feel of a hard clutch)
Lightened flywheel (allows engine to REV faster)
short shifter (shaves .01 off your quarter mile time lol, i think its worth it)
AIR/FUEL controller (allows bolt on's to reach potential)
MOST IMPORTANTLY - u better have a big brake kit and heavy suspension mods or else you might hurt yourself or your car once you get boost
These mods should really show some improvement in acceleration...and cost well over 2 grand

Camshafts (VVT-i intake cam is not replaceable - exhaust cam is but not yet available)

Internals - to be realistic, scion speed has a 400+WHP tC with stock internals, they were having problems with the tranny not holding the power

for now i would worry about suspension and drivetrain...strengthen your transmission and your grip...definitely upgrade your tires...dont do much to the engine or else that money will be lost when you boost the car...and again it depends on whether you will be putting a SC or TC on your car...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jmiller is correct when he speaks of a port and polished head...adds alot of power...but I think that it costs about 1200 to get it done...thats a guess but i may be wrong...good point Jmiller
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mpbrown
Internals - to be realistic, scion speed has a 400+WHP tC with stock internals, they were having problems with the tranny not holding the power
Good point but the life of the engine is questionable (after all, they are trying to kill it), reinforcing the block and forged internals would make the engine a lot more acceptable to high amounts of boost.

400+HP, ScionSpeed ripped the passenger-side driveshaft in half! How's that for torque?!

On a NA engine, you would maybe suffer with the 3" exhaust and could lose some torque, wait for the turbo before you go there.

Overall, your biggest issue is availability of the parts, especially the internals. Most of the stuff will have to be custom fabricated, hope you got loot :D