Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

manual .

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default manual .

Hey guys.

Im in a delima. i have an 06 tC automatic. right now my parents and i are in the market for a new car. i was looking at another tC, civic Si, and new lancers. thats besides the point. the Si and scion im looking at are manual, and my parents said its my choice but im going to hate it after the first couple days. They said i wont be able to talk on the phone or ne thing else because i will be ____ing.
Do any of you who have a manual wish u got an automatic instead and whats the advatnages and disadvantages of a manual. any help here would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Denny
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my parents told me the same exact thing. that I would get sick of a manual and to just get an automatic. I went ahead and got the manual and have had it for about 6months now and don't regret my decision.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ive driven a manual since i got my first car and it doesnt stop me talking on the phone, eating, etc.... I love manuals. Once you drive one long enough, shifting and doing other things arn't that hard. Only thing thats difficult for me it to text, drink, turn, and shift at the same time, but that'd be hard in auto too.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the responses. The thought ran though my mind what if you on a hill and a guy or girl is right on ur butt what do you do. also lets say you roll back a little or much and since the guy is right on ur back you hit him. is it your faullt or his.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Even in traffic I dont even think about "...thats the main thing people say ...... "dont get a manual because of all the traffic ...blah blah blah" Honestly .... get the manual. Ive heard a few people on the forum trade their cars in for manuals (cause they had automatics) but never heard someone trade a manual for automatic. Im sure somewhere it has happened but the Scion market it seems is either 100% for manuals or 100% automatic. Those who dont know which to get ...get the manual and are happy.

I hope that rambling mess helped you.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

while i was in the market for a new car i wanted a manual but the dealer i went to only had one tc, white automatic. Well, few months later i got sick of the color and the auto tranny to i traded in for a manual flint mica, dont regret it at all. If you're getting the SI they only come manual, but if getting a tc definetly get it manual.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know thats why im in this delima. The Si is awesome and only is a stick and the scion i want is a manual and all my friends say they love their sticks but how do i know if they really do. the last thing i want to do is have to trade it back in for an auto. haha
Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, you shouldn't be talking on a cell phone and driving anyways!!! LOL J/K. Once you get the hang of it, i am pretty sure most will agree, that it becomes second nature. You don't even realize that you're shifting. I can talk on my phone while driving and eating my mcDonalds, all while washing it down with some Jack.lol. But in all seriousness,not that i would ever attempt it, i probably could.

Go for the Standard. And def go for the SI or the tC. I will never own another auto again! Well, by choice

On a side note......The new lancers are a little under powered. The DE, ES, and GTS only have 152 Crank HP, weigh 3100lbs, and cost 19K for the lowest base model. but hey, they are pushing those magnesium paddle shifters, lol. And Edmunds.com even said they got smoked by most of the crossovers and minivans that they raced. Not sure if there is a ralliart coming out in 08. But i hear the evo that follows will be nothing to mess with. 320+ HP!!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Seeing as most of you live where is snows like where i do, i heard from ppl that sticks are better in the snow? What do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
First of all, you shouldn't be talking on a cell phone and driving anyways!!!
That was the first thing I thought of. If that's a deciding factor for you at all... well, that's just retarded. You shouldn't be doing it... or maybe get a handsfree kit or bluetooth headset. Problem solved.

Have you had any thing manual before? Do you know how? You might not like it. It's rare, but it's possible. My first car was a manual and the two after that were both auto and it drove me nuts. It was the #1 thing on my list when I went car shopping and ended up with the tC. Couldn't be happier.

Oh... and you have a 2006 tC and you're going car shopping already?! WTF?!

As for snow, depends on your driving style, you'll adapt to driving it in the snow either way. I don't know if I would say one is better than the other - depends too much on the driver.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont realize that i shft anymore, its just habit. As for snow driving, its fine as long as you dont floor it from a dead stop ;)

The Si is pretty damn cool, i love driving them when they're in stock. they have nicer seats.... & lsd. cost more & only can only burn premium. either way u go, get the manual!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know its an 06 and so soon, i have a black cherry pearl and my car is noticlble every where and its gets egged, cheesed, musteredized, and everything, alot of people dont like me so they go out of their way to make my life a living hell. so my parents and i decided to get a new vehicle. i took the si for a test drive and only stalled once when i was trying to park it, and i was worried about that car bc it wasnt mine and the other brand new cars in the lot so yeah. im pretty good at it for have an auto.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, um. A new car isn't going to make people like you or forget who you are. They'll still find you and what car you have and do bad things to your car if they're like that... just a little FYI. Good luck though...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah i know but im graduating in 3 weeks and wont get it until after that and most of them are leaving and plus my parents hate the color of my car. haha
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go manual. It's cheaper and more fun to drive. Besides, if you are really that worried about talking on the phone, you can always get a handsfree bluetooth device with the savings from not going with the auto.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
mcd
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

knuck if you buck son
Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^please explain
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asthmatic
^please explain
TJ
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I would said go MANUAL all the way! I do want to warn you that if you don't know how to drive a manual already, you will hate it while you're learning (telling yourself you should have just got automatic ). Not to mention your poor new clutch pad that will get worn/burn from first learning.

in the end, you'll love driving manual after you get it down!

as for eating, texting, cell phone use, etc. = ALL very easy to do with a manual, not that i have ever done any of those BAD HABITS while being a safe CALIFORNIA driver!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

MANUAL all the way. I asked the exact same question before i bought my car and I listened to all the fine advice on here and wen manual. Theres nothing better than coming out of a fast turn in third gear and then slapping that baby back into fourth. You feel invincible...

Till you hit that tree in front of you haha!

Quick Reply: manual .