Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Megan Header or Alpha works Header?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I would say alphawerks b/c after megan racing said there header didn't throw the CEL and was informed they did they basically said its too much of a hastle to fix our problem so will sell it as is... not very carring for customers.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
I would say alphawerks b/c after megan racing said there header didn't throw the CEL and was informed they did they basically said its too much of a hastle to fix our problem so will sell it as is... not very carring for customers.
How do you know that the Alphawerks headers won't? Because they claimed that they won't? Sounds a lot like Megan. And the fix that Alphawerks offers is an O2 simulator, which is a part you can pick up at any auto parts retailer that will fix the CEL by basically lieing to the computer. If the Alphawerks headers truly don't throw a CEL, then why would they need the O2 sensor to lie to the computer? So I'm failing to see the grounds for that argument. It's not like Megan can just rip apart the headers that they've already assembled in their inventory to fix the problem. That would mean no profit margin at all for them. They will most likely incorporate a fix in their next design, just like Weapon R moving the MAF sensor on their short ram intake. All trial and error.

So if the CEL is your biggest problem, either do the non-fouler trick, or buy an O2 simulator. Simple.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giravani
And the fix that Alphawerks offers is an O2 simulator, which is a part you can pick up at any auto parts retailer that will fix the CEL by basically lieing to the computer.
Hello,

Actually, that O2 simulator was quite a pain in the rear. The pain starts with getting the ECU schematics from Toyota that you have to pay a $2500/year membership fee to get all their engineering and ecu information. Once you get past that you have to ensure that the fix is permanent and the wiring is perfect. Lastly, you must ensure that the piece will last and withstand the extreme temperatures under the hood. This means sealing the entire board for the simulator in apoxy to weather proof it and ensure that it will take the heat.

If someone really knows what they are doing it would be a project that would take hours and hours between getting all the parts, the board, the wiring, the apoxy, and the high-temperature casing. Plus you need the diagram of the ECU plugs from Toyota that will cost a pretty penny.

So it is not exactly a piece of cake, it definitely used to be a piece of cake years ago when the ecu's were not as sophisticated. Oh how I long for those good 'ol days...

Best regards,

Victor D.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Victor.. where will the 02 simulator sit, and which wires do you have to splice?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nexusindustry
And the fix that Alphawerks offers is an O2 simulator, which is a part you can pick up at any auto parts retailer that will fix the CEL by basically lieing to the computer.
Hello,

Actually, that O2 simulator was quite a pain in the rear. The pain starts with getting the ECU schematics from Toyota that you have to pay a $2500/year membership fee to get all their engineering and ecu information. Once you get past that you have to ensure that the fix is permanent and the wiring is perfect. Lastly, you must ensure that the piece will last and withstand the extreme temperatures under the hood. This means sealing the entire board for the simulator in apoxy to weather proof it and ensure that it will take the heat.

If someone really knows what they are doing it would be a project that would take hours and hours between getting all the parts, the board, the wiring, the apoxy, and the high-temperature casing. Plus you need the diagram of the ECU plugs from Toyota that will cost a pretty penny.

So it is not exactly a piece of cake, it definitely used to be a piece of cake years ago when the ecu's were not as sophisticated. Oh how I long for those good 'ol days...

Best regards,

Victor D.
Don't take what I said the wrong way Victor,

I definitely respect Alphawerks and their products.

On the O2 simulator, the ones I were referring to simply clip right into the stock secondary O2 sensor clip. Pretty simple stuff, but I can definitely understand the need for everything to be up to spec and completely safe to be able to retail the headers with the mod already built in.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No offense taken...dont worry

Just wanted to add some detail to the quote...

ALso on the sponsorship...you must be able to travel to the South Florida area for the deal with the dyno...Our R+D department in Cali is swamped and cant get to it now...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hhmmm....intersting......The alphawerks header really is not too much money more and it includes a fix for the CEL which I am greatly interested in...if I only knew of a dyno in the area I would be all over it. but as it stands I will wait a few weeks to get one
Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ALso on the sponsorship...you must be able to travel to the South Florida area for the deal with the dyno...Our R+D department in Cali is swamped and cant get to it now...
Would there be any way to send the header to someone and have them do the dyno in their area? If so, please let me know. I have a few dynos in my area, and would be willing to pay for the shipping on top of the other expenses if necessary. Although, the dyno runs, shipping, and the header at cost would in total probably come close to the retail price, I don’t really mind since it's still a great offer and the independent dyno would be beneficial to the tC community in general.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nexusindustry Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got family in S. Florida Let me know!! And its time for a vacation
Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The pain starts with getting the ECU schematics from Toyota that you have to pay a $2500/year membership fee to get all their engineering and ecu information.
A little of topic, I apologize:

When you say you have ALL their enginerring info, what does that include? You wouldn't happen to have the schematics for the A/C computer in the center console would ya?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

How do you know that the Alphawerks headers won't? Because they claimed that they won't? Sounds a lot like Megan. And the fix that Alphawerks offers is an O2 simulator, which is a part you can pick up at any auto parts retailer that will fix the CEL by basically lieing to the computer. If the Alphawerks headers truly don't throw a CEL, then why would they need the O2 sensor to lie to the computer? So I'm failing to see the grounds for that argument. It's not like Megan can just rip apart the headers that they've already assembled in their inventory to fix the problem. That would mean no profit margin at all for them. They will most likely incorporate a fix in their next design, just like Weapon R moving the MAF sensor on their short ram intake. All trial and error.

So if the CEL is your biggest problem, either do the non-fouler trick, or buy an O2 simulator. Simple.
I realize that they would loose money if they took back all there headers... but first off if you promise something in a business you should be obligated to follow up... and secondly they are not changing their design at all for any future productions of it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperWTC
Would the draxus s pipe be the fix for the rasp noise?
no one knows yet because it hasn't been released. if you take off your TRD exhaust and put on the stock exhaust system, it will sound much better.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RacingSolution
As an incentive to our customers, we will be including the 02 simulator with your Alpha Werks header ABSOLUTELY FREE..
Now i'm really confused. your telling me that the o2 sim wasn't included in the initial 400 dollar price tag?

HA
Old 04-08-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davo345
As an incentive to our customers, we will be including the 02 simulator with your Alpha Werks header ABSOLUTELY FREE..
Now i'm really confused. your telling me that the o2 sim wasn't included in the initial 400 dollar price tag?

HA
Yeah.... Victor already said it's included in the kit. You don't need to insult your customers by posting something like that No beef with RacingSolution, just kinda silly to see them offering something for ABSOLUTELY FREE when it's already included in the kit... ...
Old 04-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Actually guys.. its NOT included ..
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So $400 for headers that WILL throw a CEL without the O2 simulator, unless you buy the O2 simulator, or in this case get it ABSOLUTELY FREE with RacingSolution...

I'm having a hard time justifying the claims and pricing but meh, I'm gonna be quiet now. You guys buy whatever you want to buy, just be aware of what you're actually getting ;)
Old 04-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Thats correct.. the header does not already include the CEL fix.. alpha werks just recently made it.. Just like the Megan Racing header doesn't come with any CEL fix ..
Old 04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So $400 for headers that WILL throw a CEL without the O2 simulator, unless you buy the O2 simulator, or in this case get it ABSOLUTELY FREE with RacingSolution...

I'm having a hard time justifying the claims and pricing but meh,
you and I are in complete agreement.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone posted they want you to know exactly what you are getting with the Alphawerks header. I definitely want everyone here to know exactly what they are getting. What do you get with the Alphawerks header that you cannot get with anyone else.

1. No CEL (the only one)
2. T-304 Stainless Steel (100%)
3. LIFETIME WARRANTY (On this Scion tC header)
4. No rasp (check the sound clips on the site)
5. No cat to rob power
5. Patent Pending 4-1 Collector (with Velocity-Pyramid welded into the collector where the runners meet)
6. Customer Service right here on scionlife.com. I am here for you everyday answering any questions or issues to walk you through every step of the way.

I am actually humbled to be here and am glad this is one of the top forums in the net. And I am also very happy that the company put so much effort into this header because it is honestly the best part we have carried to date.

If anyone has any questions at all please PM me and I will get back to you asap. I may take a day if it is not an emergency sometimes because I get like 100 PM's a day between all the scion forums, the 350z forums, the IS300 forums, and the Acura V6 forums.

At the end of the day, this is the only header one way or the other that WILL NOT THROW THE CEL. This is the best solution because cheap cats will not work and a full oem cat will kill your horsepower. The "Smart O2 Sim" is a quick fix (takes 5 min to install). Best of all we are giving it to scionlife members at our cost $20 (this includes boards, temp resistant case, wiring, R&D). Remember also that we have to pay $2500/year to have access to the Toyota engineering information for ONLY the Scion tC.

Honestly this part is the best quality part for the tC and we are running full page ads, 1/2 page ads, backpage ads in several magazines to promote it because we know this part is hot. In fact we have another full 20" container arriving this month of only Scion tC headers. That is 300 headers and 200 of them are already sold to our local distributors here in North America.

Sorry for writing so long but if you have any questions you know where I am and I am here for you all.

Best regards,

Victor D.
Nexus Industry

Quick Reply: Megan Header or Alpha works Header?