Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Megan Header/Drift Spec, looking for good resonator.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Megan Header/Drift Spec, looking for good resonator.

What up fellas. Could use some help. I'll soon be getting the Megan Racing Drift Spec exhaust for my Scion tC, but I also have the Megan header and a ram air system. From what I've heard this combination sounds raspy as hell. The most common advice I've seen for fixing the problem is to get a (better) resonator for the midpipe... I'll have about $100 or so bucks to spend. Any suggestions?

The midpipe is gonna be 2.5" and comes with a built-in resonator that sounds good with the stock header, but with the megan header it sounds pretty ricey (from what I've seen on youtube, etc.)

A friend said I should go Magnaflow, but I'm not sure what diameter I should get. Anyone have experience with magnaflow reso's?

I'm going for a low, throaty but full sound, if possible like harley 'cycles. If I could get that loud, crisp 'pop' sound when I accelerate (like on muscle cars) that would be sick, but I doubt my busy little 4-banger engine is capable of anything like that, ahaha.

tl;dnr: Gonna have high-flow headers and exhaust, but I want a low tone. Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!
Wes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is not very raspy at all...........i have the same setup.megan header,megan drift spec along with the downpipe,it has a very deep tone to it,once you get on the gas at higher rpms yea it's a bit raspy but nothing compared to others ive heard like the DME.....but i will tell you,its very loud,

but you shift between gears theres a little poping action,,then when you downshift and let the rpm get little bit below 1000 rpm before it stalls it pops also,but a 4 cylinder other then the SRT-4 you aint goona sound like a harley or real muscle car escpically from the tc maybe other exhaust systems like ptunning or something
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
is not very raspy at all...........i have the same setup.megan header,megan drift spec along with the downpipe,it has a very deep tone to it,once you get on the gas at higher rpms yea it's a bit raspy but nothing compared to others ive heard like the DME.....but i will tell you,its very loud,

but you shift between gears theres a little poping action,,then when you downshift and let the rpm get little bit below 1000 rpm before it stalls it pops also,but a 4 cylinder other then the SRT-4 you aint goona sound like a harley or real muscle car escpically from the tc maybe other exhaust systems like ptunning or something
Hmm, that's good to hear. Yeah, I'd assume that Megan Racing probably tunes their exhausts to agree with their headers.

How did your setup sound with the silencer insert?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing i would suggest when installing the header with the drift spec is getting another resonator cause it is pretty loud,just the drift spec alone is pretty loud but sounds really good,

Ive tried the silencer with just the exhasut alone and felt lost of power,i took it out it felt better,however when i had the silencer in with the header and exhaust i felt more power with it in rather then it out.its weird...

but it did sound horrible with the silencer in with or without the header on
Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, thanks much for the advice. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and grab the Aero AR25 resonator and weld it into the midpipe. Would you recommend splicing it in end-to-end with the Drift Spec resonator? Or should I replace the Drift Spec reso with the Aero?

(Aero reso: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...sonator/Detail)

(Sorry for the inexperience; I'm a newbie with exhaust systems.)
Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i would do is add the other resonator to the pipe,cause it is goona be loud if you dont,but if your not planning on getting the header then youll be fine,but if you know for sure your getting the whole exhaust setup then yea....and make sure you get something for the cel also
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've already got the header and the Weapon R anti fouler on the s-pipe 02 sensor. Haven't had a CEL light for about 500 miles... should be ok. We'll see if the Drift Spec trips the CEL...

Heh, gonna be fun trying to find a place to fit that resonator where it won't rattle. You sure it won't make a weird sound if I have both the Drift Spec resonator and the Aero in there? Or is it just simply more resonators = quieter/less rasp?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup it isnt easy modifying the midpipe when you install a header thats why most people dont bother with a header........

yes the more resonators the less quiet...........rasp = no cats.....if you throw on a high flow cat that will quiet down the exhaust too......but most people just throw on a huge resonator the biggest they can get or as many they can get to fit on the midpipe...all depending on how quiet you want.....

the drift spec resonator is designed for the exhasut itself not for a header and plus when you install both theres no cats and one tiny resonator thats why it so loud as raspy
Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, I'll see what I can do... I love the horsepower from my header. I'm up for the challenge of quieting it all down so the cops don't tell me to take it off!

Thanks a ton for all the advice!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to change the subject but have you check out the ETC throttle controller by TWP,if not you should look into it,i have it and love it,makes the car pull hard and make it feel more sporty,just though i would ask
Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just read through the thread x_Batman_x wrote about it; looks wicked! I was always wondering if there was some way to adjust the throttle without spending $600 to get the car tuned. I may have to set aside some cash to pick one of those up.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its very well worth it, i didnt think much of it but i gave it a shot and i love it ever since,it really opens up the car on the higher SP modes...feels really good when you go WOT on SP4