Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

For the millionth time. Rasp the Neverending Topic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that could be a cheaper option tooo. aryan
Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At this point I'm not sure what I am doing. Once I get the high flow CAT I will go to muffler shop and have them try different variations of CAT/ resonator. If this doesn't do the trick I will definitely suck it up and purchase a performance exhaust.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im telling u man, a longer resonator will add more dp difference, then a high flow cat. Whoever told u a high flow cat would tone it down more? I mean it does have an affect, if u wanna remove yur old cat, but your workong on the stock midpipe right? adding a 3rd cat just doesnt make sense to me.
Some1 help me out here... U shuld just add a longer resonator, the resonator on the stock midpipe sucks. so if u still got room just get another ar or vibrant resonator. the length of the resonator has a better effect on rasp. try that first, be much cheaper then getting another axleback.

I only mentioned getting the tanabe, because i thought you were out of room on your midpipe.. So if u still got room just get another resonator.. I know some people with a good 32" resonator on their midpipes.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 3rd CAT. I will only have 2 on the midpipe. Only doing this becuase my buddy had the same problem on his truck. He installed headers, which removed a CAT. He then installed a high flow CAT and the rasp was gone. I know that it kind of defeats the purpose of having the header and all. At this point I just want my car to sound right. If I can get my car to sound good and keep the header, I will be happy. Really not too worried about the power I might be missing out on.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

o its fine, adding a cat to the midpipe wuldnt really kill that much power, and i fergot u had a header hehe.. so yeah now u will have 2 total cats, BUT having 2 cats on the midpipe is just weird. i think a longer resonator will have more effect. But if u really wanna add it then go ahead, let us know if it really worked.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. I think your approaching insanity with these Cats bro.

You have to realize what each is designed for. Cats re-heat the exaust to literally burn off (break down) some of the pollutants. It has nothing to do with sound.

If you want a sound difference you have to upgrade your resonators. Your still using the stock one... so replace it with a performance one. You could go with a long one like mengsta said... or you could go with a wide one. Wide resonators effect the sound more because of the shape. The ultra-quiet that I have is wide. Its only 11 inches long and straight thru, it works great.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have resonators. 2 of them actually. The AR25 and my stock one. Im looking at maybe a total of 25" of resonator. This should have killed the rasp by now. CATs do reheat the exhaust gases but they also add some restriction to the exhaust system itself. Resonators realign the exhaust gases so that the sound is more refined. Resonators don't really restrict the exhaust system much, thats why people like them. I looking for that little bit of restriction to slow the exhaust gases down. My exhaust does sounds great when I have the stock exhaust manifold on (Which includes the first CAT). With the exhaust manifold off the exhaust sounds bad.

Only time will tell. I will let you guys know if my experiment works when I get my CAT next week.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol well u r going to get alot of people to disagree with u here. just because your sound got raspy cuz of the header itself. not totally because your 1 less of a cat. plus u want a high flow cat, ill assume that it wouldnt slow the gases as much. Anyway im not here to argue just tried to help u. So yeah make sure u dont ferget to let us know when u do finally get that cat.

IN FACt what would be better is take a video of your exhaust now and maybe after the cat If it does work atleast. I am really curious as to wat your exhaust sounds like now. all this talk about rasp just got me curious. i mean it shuldnt be too hard just a quick sound clip would be nice..
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will work on getting a sound clip for you.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

resonators dont realign anything... they bounce the sound waves back and forth to dampen the sound. A straight-through does this without effecting flow. A non-straight-thru, with channels and bends dampens sound more but effects flow.
Maybe you are looking for one of those... magnaflow makes a few different models, and you can get them at autozone.
BTW 25" of resonator means nothing when your talking about the stocker + a hot dog.
Look bro, you asked a question... we answered. We are both saying resonators, and we have both successfully done exhausts before. If you dont want our advice why did you ask.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeh exactly, but hey its his car/his decision lets just see the outcome. and yes the stocker midpipe resonator does suck, and hotdog exhausts dont really resonate much either lol. Vibrant resonators are actually pretty good btw, had one on my old integ. So Aryan if it doesnt work just dont ferget. "we told you so!" lol peace
Old 09-29-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really do appreciate all your help and input. Dont think I am just dismissing all the ideas that you have given me. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

iight bud, just let us kno how it turns out, and even better some kind of before and after clip.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a clip of my exhaust. Had to do it at night after i got off work. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPam_JHRMvY
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah that does help. Thats not as bad as some other cars ive heard, seems like u just need that one missing link in your exhaust.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea mine was much worse then that. But it sounds more ricey then raspy. I would say start with bigger pipes to deepen the sound. Then start upgrading the resonators. Get rid of the stocker seriously.

Ill try to post a clip of my exhaust so you can hear what the vibrant reso sounds like.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just throwing this out there about the Vibrant Ultra-quiet...

The best place it fits is just before the rear end of the midpipe. I literally welded the rear midpipe flange straight to the resonator.
If you take the midpipe off you will see a relatively larger open space in the heat shield. It may fit in other places but this was the best location as far as I could tell.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I got my high flow CAT welded in and the rasp seems to be toned down a lot. the rasp is still there so I ordered the tanabe medallion touring exhuast. I was wondering if my header had to do with the rasp. My DME is a 4-1 header. Does a 4-1 have a different affect than a 4-2-1? Can this affect the sound of the exhaust?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i havnt heard the tsudo. but the MMW is a 4-2-1 and is has alot less rasp then the other 4-1's.. im sure the tanabe will fix it. u shuldve just added another resonator as a cheaper option. but since uve already ordered it, let us know how it sounds.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't liking the actual sound of the Magnaflow and I liked the sound of the Tanabe. I'll put it in and see if I need some more resonator. I will post a clip of the exhaust after it is all done.

Quick Reply: For the millionth time. Rasp the Neverending Topic.