Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Mistery Rattle.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Default Mistery Rattle.........

well, heres the deal, i was about to install an NST CRlite pulley, i jacked up the car, removed the wheel, removed the cover, and got my tools ready, i started the car so i could see the stock pulley in action so i can see how it looks and to check on my belt or any vibrations

now i hear a rattle........

this is without touching anything, NST pulley as of now is brand new still sitting in its box, this rattle sounds like an exhaust rattle, like a hangar rapping against the frame, and it would make sense since i just put an agency power exhaust 2 days ago and never noticed this rattle...

so i fully jacked up the car, safely, and got underneath and started poking my head as far as i could, and could not find one spot where the exhaust was rattling.....in other words perfect fitment, so now im back to the front, and poking my head around and honestly it sounds like its coming from the block...........

i honestly do not push my car, i cant remember the last time i took it to redline, i maintain my car with 5k mile oil changes, and always make sure to keep it running good! which leads me to my problem

this rattle is definitely not normal, its loudest at 1k to 1.5k rpm, sounds like its coming from the lower portion of the engine, as far as i could tell....

my only mods right now are, tenzoR CAI, Invidia Spipe, Agency Power catback, and megan shortshifter.....

i honestly could not find the rattling noise on the outside, and im praying its nothing internal.......

any ideas or thoughts on where to check, what to check for, recomendations, etc etc

BTW im at 45k miles right now, 07 tc

Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you check to make sure its not just your intake rattling against the frame where it sits near the fender?

I know its probably not the best advice but sometimes the best solutions are the simplest
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Mistery Rattle.........

i have a rattle also. i have an 06 with about 55000 miles. my rattle is worst after the engine is hot. my rattle is on idle and when i start out in 1st gear. took it to toyota a couple weeks ago but they weren't able to reproduce the sound. well the rattle got worse and i took it to a different dealer. they pulled my transmission out and will let me know what it is. they think it might be the tranny or the clutch. i dont do any hard driving and maintain my car well.
sorry just to give you an idea
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^its definitely not the intake, thats the first thing i went to and the intake does rattle when you take off in first and the engine rocks, but the rattle is definitely not the intake

later today im taking off my header heat shield and i pray there is a bolt/screw/piece of metal somewhere on the outside making that noise...........
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

OK so i went snooping around again.....and i dont know if its just me but it seems to be coming from the Power steering pump.....hhmmmm

any clues?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

power steering pump will make weird noises if it gets low - like freaky weird noises lol check fluid level and run the car with the cap off - if its spurting that means its too low and getting air in the system
Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Any luck withe this Chico? Wish I could give ya some advice. The only rattles or sounds i got are interior rattles FTL!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

not yet...

im going to remove the accesories/serpentine belt and start the car for a little to see if i hear the noise, but before i do

can anyone confirm that it is safe to turn the car on with no belt? i know the alternator wont charge, and the AC wont work, and power steering pump(which im hoping is the problem) wont work either, but is our water pump chain driven or belt driven?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will it be possible to post vid with sound this way we can have a better understanding of what type of noise you are hearing..
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

ill try, but i doubt the camera will be able to pick up the rattle over the engine noise, its not loud and can only be heard with the hood up, or inside with the stereo off and the windows up and goes away at rpms over 3.5k
Old 02-21-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the water pump is part of the serpentine belt you plan on removing. I don't think its a good idea to start the car without a serpentine belt on it. I would do what thendawg suggested. Maybe even have someone sit in the car and turn the wheel slightly to see if that influences the sound further.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^ damm, totally forgot out WP was belt driven, i thought that would have been a good test! lol

i tried to get the sound clip, but no luck, its just not loud enough to be louder then then engine
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

see my problem is when i let off the throttle from heavy acceleration i get a rattle. but as soon as i push in the clutch it goes away. i dont know what it is, but is yours similair?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

no mine is there with the car in neutral, or in gear, and is loudest between 1k to 1.5k rpm, after that it seems to go away, it is consistent and is the exact same noise over and over again, it doesnt get louder or anything

it hasnt gotten worse since i first heard it, im gonna end up taking off my intake and taking in to toyota, i still got powertrain warranty til 60k

does anyone know if an Spipe or exhaust will give me trouble with warranty coverage?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

It shouldnt! GL man!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would check the water pump itself. mine was making a helluva rattle - the pulley was actually wobbling like the bearing was worn out.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check and see if your O2 sensor is tight.. i had a mystery rattle for 2 weeks thinking it was my downpipe loose.. found out it was my O2 not tightened all the way
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

HMMM, soFlo, thats a possible issue, is did just put the invidia spipe, ill be checkin that out

and shaka, the pulley is spining completely normal, but it could be the water pump, since the sound is coming from the belt area from what i can tell
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

it wasnt a loose o2 sensor, no piping is touching anywhere (made sure of it) and i dont think its the powersteering pump anymore, im thinking its the water pump, although i cant really say

.........hhhmmmm

on another note, its not getting any worse, seems to make the same sound over and over again, no louder, no quieter, at the same RPMs
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is probably the water pump. I just came home from the dealer, and it was my pump making the rattle (as I thought). it is now silent again.

my new clutch is in too, but thats another story for another thread.