Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MMW CEL Eliminator vs Antifouler vs EManage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default MMW CEL Eliminator vs Antifouler vs EManage

After installing my Header, S-Pipe, and custom Midpipe I have noticed a big difference in my car. Its pull, it higher end power, and the CEL.

I have reset the CEL with the OB2 scanner that they have over at Autozone two time now and it comes back on after about 20 miles. I have reset it from the fuse box and by disconnecting it from the batter and it is the same problem. I do not know how to get rid of this damn light and I am afraid it will hurt my engine if it stays on.

I am running...

Injen CAI>AW Header> Invidia S-Pipe> Custom Midpipe w/30" resonator>TRD Axleback.

I am willing to spend the money to fix it because in the long run it will be better for my car.

Will an Emanage allow me to override the CEL and get rid of it? Does the MMW CEL Eliminator work ALL THE TIME for EVERYONE? I don't want another hit or miss like it is with the antifouler...

Thanks everyone...help appreciated.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go back to autozone and get a pack (2 come in it) of 18mm antifoulers in their help section. In their tool section, get a 1/2 inch titanium drill bit. If you don't have vice grips, get them too.

Go home, tap one of the antifoulers straight through with the 1/2 bit. Screw the one you didn't touch into the one you tapped out. Then screw the O2 sensor into that one. Screw them into your S-pipe, reset the CEL, drive and NO MORE CEL

Instructions and measurements at bottom of link:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56520

Had mine for over 18K now and never had a CEL from day 1.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

The antifouler fix will work. Give it a shot.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I am sorry, I did not say that I currently have the Antifouler on the S-Pipe already and it is not working. That is why I am confused on what to do.

Anurok
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have it stacked like in the link? One tapped out and one not and then the O2 sensor threaded into that?

MMW has an excessive amount of exhaust carbon blowby compared to other headers for some reason.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Yeah, I have the 2 antifoulers stacked. I have the bored out one on the bottom and the clean one top with the O2 hooked into it. I will definitely check my work tonight but I am sure that I set it up like this and it still throws the CEL. My header is Alpha works...not MMW.

Could it also be that I might have actually Damaged or broken the O2 Sensor? When I scan it it reads:

Bank 1 Sensor 2...P2002 or something as the error. Do you think this is the case? If so how much do these cost? grrrrrr

So...very...frustrating...

Anurok
Old 01-05-2007, 04:13 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, 2002? Never heard that code. Bank 1 sesor 2 is correct for looking at the second one but an emission code for that would either be a 170-174, not 2002. If you've damaged it, then you should replace the sensor.

Sorry on the MMW confusion.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I am going to Pepgirls today to do another Scan and test to clear it and get the actual code....I dont think the 2002 thing is right. I could be way off. I had it written down and lost it

Either way...how can I test if the sensor is broken? Dunno how to do that...

Anurok
Old 01-05-2007, 04:19 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't b/c it's internal on the sensor and it's a sealed piece. Check the voltage readings in the plug but that's it. If it's carboned up, might as well get a new one. Sucks b/c that one is expensive
Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

How do I check the voltage reading on the O2? Is this the only way to tell if it is damaged...by its Carbon readings? I have never done anything like this before...

So even scanning it and reseting the ECU will not give me the proper codes to see if it is actually damaged eh?

Man, this is a lot of effort for a CEL haha....also, the instructions are a little confusing to me on the antifouler

Does it go: 02>Bored out fouler>untouched fouler>s-pipe?

Anurok
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the voltage reading will let you know if the electrical sensor is damaged. There's no way to tell if it's carboned up other than by best judgement eyesight.

I'm not sure about how to do the volt reading, but I know you can do it with any electrical sensor.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

02>untouched fouler>Bored out fouler>s-pipe?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Yeah I have the setup wrong then...I will need to switch up the order of the Antifoulers. I will try it and see if this works. I am hoping that It will allow the CEL to go away. Once I reset the ECU with the Scanner and the NEW order of foulers I will drive it easy and see how it works out

Oh, and Web...thanks a ton for your input. I really do appreciate it.

Anurok
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey no problem. Let me know how the drive goes. You should be fine after you switch it up. That was the problem I bet.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133615
Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well...when I finally got home i jacked up my car and looked under there...

The antifouler had come loose completly. I took them apart, screwed in the first one into the S-Pipe no problem. Screwed in the second one, no problem. Got to the O2 sensor...it was slghtly stripped. It would screw in partially without moving so I put it back in.

However, when i put the O2 into the fouler it is touching another metal object on the rear end of the O2 sensor. When the wires are it is touching another cylender type object. It rubs up against it constantly and that is what vibrated it loose in the first place.

I tried screwing the O2 back in and the sensor rests on the metal peice. I did the best I could with it...I then took it out for a drive.

When i took it out I could hear something coming from the S-Pipe. I got back to the house and saw that the O2 sensor had come loose again. Now I know it is stripped.

But even if I could di-cut it the O2 sensor will STILL rest on the stupid peice of metal...is this normal? I dont know at all....the O2 sensor with the Antifoulers simply WILL NOT fit under the car.

Anurok
Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What S-pipe did you get? It could be a problem with the design.....Megan? My draxas pipe is perfect. Lots of room.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it comes loose, try a high temp thread locker. Careful though....it's permenant. RED Threadlocker is high heat but basically welds two pieces together.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have the Invidia S-Pipe web...yeah it does not give me any room to really work with. I dunno what I should do with it.

Anurok
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, using this set up:

spipe>bored out antifouler>untouched anti fouler>O2 sensor
1>2>3>4

Get some red threadlocker from autozone or some place.
Place a nice little dab between 2 and 3 (to hold the antifoulers together). Then, put a very LITTLE dab between 3 and 4 to hold the O2 sensor in the antifouler. You don't want to put a lot, maybe use a toothpick and smear some in 2-3 threads.

Last, get some ANTISEIZE and put it on the threads between 1 and 2. The bored out antifouler will heat up the most. Then use that tooth pick to smear a dab of red thread locker around 1-2 thread between 1 and 2. This will be the part that heats the fastest and the most b/c it's on the spipe and red threadlocker is permenant. You don't need much of this stuff b/c it's really strong.

Oh, make sure the bolts are aligned properly on the header to spipe and spipe to midpipe. If they are off a bit, it could be blocking some room to work with.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: MMW CEL Eliminator vs Antifouler vs EManage