Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MMW Header install and fitment issues Update with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MMW Header install and fitment issues Update with Pics

Well.... first things first.

I ordered my MMW header on Jan. 26th. It got here on Fri. Feb 3rd. So I take it out of the box to look it over and before I get it unwrapped I knew I was going to have to send it back. One of the runners was apparently cut too short and they tried to fix it by welding a small piece of tubing to fill the gap. Not only were there hammer marks all over that "extension", but there were holes in the welds on the flange.

I called Rev International and spoke with Chris W. Needless to say he was a great help. I emailed him some pics of the header and he told me he would send a new one. He said in the email, "You were not supposed to receive that header".... do ya think?. He had a new header shipped to me on Mon. Feb 6th and it gets here on the 8th. With a prepaid UPS sticker to return the old one.

With the exception of some sloppy welds, the header looked OK. So I started installing it on Friday afternoon. All went well until I tried to bolt the header to the engine. Two of the holes were about 1/8th inch off. So I had to remove the header and drill out the holes. After about 20minutes of drilling through solid steel, it still was a little off, so I used a wooden block to lightly hammer the header down flush with the block.

The test drive:

The gains are good, and I can definitely feel the added power. It's not like "oh my god that's fast!", but there is slightly more pull after 3500rpm.

Rasp is not too bad, although I think I'm going to invest in a resonator. It is the worst between 2000 and 3000rpm (where most of my driving is done). There is slight drone on the highway at 60. 65-70 is not that bad because you get out of that "raspy range".

No leaks, and no CEL for about 175 miles so far.

If I had to recommend a header, I would have to say get something other than MMW. For the extra few hp (whatever the gain is) I feel it's not worth the aggravation of fitment issues.

Buyers Beware.

I'll post pics as soon as I get home from work today.

I am not posting here to put down MMW. This is a forum where we share information and I feel that it is important to let people know when there are issues with a part. Thanks for not flaming.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...CT0052copy.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...CT0049copy.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...CT0043copy.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...CT0042copy.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...CT0037copy.jpg
Old 02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, I ordered mine on Tuesday and still awaiting arrival...I will keep my eyes open for this issue... thanks for the info, I don't mind a little extra work, I enjoy working on my engine, ya-know, its what I do... I Cant wait... I've heard many, many great things about MMW's products, as well as negative comments, but none that have convinced me that MMW sells bad or defective products... I guess we'll all see when I get my Header!

Wish me luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

I got my MMW header a couple days ago. took about 2 weeks to get it but thats the time line they told me from the begining.... I was really nervous with all this talk about fitment issues and CEL lights popin up, but I got downto bussiness and installed it... call me lucky or somthing but it fits perfect! just have to give it a little shove over the oil pan then your good! and no CEL light yet... header fits snug.....only problem is the anti-fouler rattles on part of the under carrige of the car when down-shifting.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

2 weeks huh... thats a little depressing! then again I'm an impatient kind of guy... oh well...

I went on Pro-motion tuning's web site and looked up my order and it said "pending" so I am still up in the air as to what my order status is... all I know is that I am now 560 dollars short, and no header... I don't have a problem with this, I just wish it said somthing other than that my order is "Pending"...I'd rather want it to say "Confirmed" or somthing along those lines....

contently waiting
Comp.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to mention a few things about the heaers.

1. yes th very first few that were sent out of here were slightly off, because of our jig. Which was fixed ASAP and the bad headers were returned and customers taken care of.

Another thing is EACH and EVERY one is HAND MADE.
Which will account for minor variances.

Another thing is that some 05-06 versions are slightly different. The coolant passage line that runs along the cylinder block sticks out about 3/4" fatherthan the pervious models. Instead of taking a gamble we have decided to modify our jig and current inventory to adjust to this change.

We are a very open company an are happy to hear our customers response to our product and will always stand behind our product and quality.

Our headers are pre-purged when welded an each one is TIG welded. If there are issues with the spacer that we aded to extend the cylinder 4 out we will address the issue. Any comments? Performance is not decreased by it, it just looks weird. BUt our headers are all made in sections, so it might b that people arent used to seeing many sections in headers.

Anyways we wanted to let the public know about our findings and were here to listne and take suggestions to make you a better quality product you will be happy you have purchased.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that extra peice looks very ugly. For that price I would think that your header should be flawless. If its handmade, then oh well, you still need a QC dept. That goes for your engine damper brackets as well
Old 02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine damper bracket have already been changed.
That has nothing to do with QC it's about the design.
We didnt anticipate the car to make that much torque that we needed to gusset the brace that much.

Well other companies have gain from our mistakes, and so have we.

And FYI Honda Race Headers are built the same at double that price.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by monstermotorworks
I would like to mention a few things about the heaers.

1. yes th very first few that were sent out of here were slightly off, because of our jig. Which was fixed ASAP and the bad headers were returned and customers taken care of.

Another thing is EACH and EVERY one is HAND MADE.
Which will account for minor variances.

Another thing is that some 05-06 versions are slightly different. The coolant passage line that runs along the cylinder block sticks out about 3/4" fatherthan the pervious models. Instead of taking a gamble we have decided to modify our jig and current inventory to adjust to this change.

We are a very open company an are happy to hear our customers response to our product and will always stand behind our product and quality.

Our headers are pre-purged when welded an each one is TIG welded. If there are issues with the spacer that we aded to extend the cylinder 4 out we will address the issue. Any comments? Performance is not decreased by it, it just looks weird. BUt our headers are all made in sections, so it might b that people arent used to seeing many sections in headers.

Anyways we wanted to let the public know about our findings and were here to listne and take suggestions to make you a better quality product you will be happy you have purchased.
very nice, I just got my shipping # today, so I'm happy ,

you guys are doing a great job on the web and from what I've heard, great things for the scion community.

If you want any promotional work done down here in the south east, please let me know what I can do for you!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That first one you got is def not good, but WR and MMW seem to be quick to fix their rep and help out customers (look at the guy WR shelled out $ for to help cover void warranty repairs, even when their part wasn't the cause).

Hand made parts in this many sections is a tough dig. Just look at equal length turbo mani's, most people dont notice the differences as they aren't going from stock point-a to stock point-b. Unfortunately with a header setup this long, small deviations are propigated. Custom parts, custom problems.

Hell... at least they're trying to fix them.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the support guys.. we are really trying here..
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you get my pm??