Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MMW HEADER....MISSING GASKET?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

no it isnt. The gasket is not covered all the way, the round part of the s pipe is not big enough, its like this so that connect can flex, hence why the bolts they use are spring loaded. In cases it does need to move , this type of connection will let it bend a bit. Could be the bolts causing it to rattle, though, and yes i am glad im not the only one. Install was a B*ITCH in my opinion, the bolts were not long enough, Very hard to put on. it barely reaches the other side, with barely any clearance room. I was very dissatisfied with the fitment, I shuld of let weapon-r install it, since i drove there to pick it up anyway. And let them really see how it is. lol and yeah the header sounds SWEEt at WOT huh? I try not too gun it too much tho. But besides that the rattleing isnt too bad, it usually happens right when i do a cold start, and the idle is high for a bit. HEaders looks good, and performs good, so we can prolly say that small rattle is tolerable. As long as its not some direct contact, i dont think it will break anything.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope I don't think it will break anything. The rattling only occurs at idle at start up and occasionally @ idle anytime. I still get a little rasp at WOT/aggressive driving if the car isn't warmed up all the way or the car hasn't been driven for a long period of time (keep in mind I have a small moroso resonator on my midpipe). Yeah install was a bia....I had trouble re-connecting the O2 sensor with the CEL fix.

See...I bought the header used, so the person that gave me the screws/bolts had them mixed up with some other screws/bolts so I went to Ace to pick up some nuts to fit the spring loaded bolt. I thought that may have been the problem, but on second thought I don't think it's the nuts; more the bolts. I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe next weekend I'll try different spring loaded bolts, or maybe one of us should call MMW lol.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i actually personally drove to weapon-r's place to pick up my header. I asked them to make sure i recieved everything correctly in the box. They said yes, and they are really nice people. They especially have this dog that i love, super cool. Till wen i got home fitment wasnt too good, n stuff. i guess u cant realy do much about it.... most aftermarket parts wont be close to OEM fitment or quality. I just wished i let them do my install right there at the shop so they know wth is going wrong.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I think because we know that there is a noise, we are more aware of it. I was listening to my car from afar last night and found that it was not "too" noticeable. So I guess it'll have to do, until I have time to get under my car again.