Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MMW header My review + Owners chime in and post your review

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no it doesnt.. to get around that is after header has been installed you need to adjust the spipe so it doesnt do that... i had the same problem but when i loosed the bolts it kinda just slipped into the right place after moving it around.. you should try doing the same.. what you can also do it get a breaker bar and stick it inbetween the sub frame and the spipe and bend it inward. that should give you plenty of clearence then..
Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thanks for the input. ill wont have time to do this until next week. can the slight rattle between the pipe and the frame cause any damage or just annoy me everytime i hear it?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just annoyance... only damage it might to is shake the bolt loose but it has to rattle like a **** for that
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow pretty old thread but i guess i'll just put in what i think since i have the time. i got my header/s-pipe over the summer and the only problem i've had with it is the rattling that has been going on ever since i installed it. But, i've gotten used to it, and i heard that it might be the heatshield, so I'm not going to bother with it anymore. i haven't had any exhaust leak problems or anything, so i'm quite happy with it. very minimal rasp w/ a oem midpipe and resonator. i do feel a power loss when i'm doing daily driving, <3000rpm, but that quickly changes when i push it past 3000. the sound of my injen intake has gotten a bit louder and i think a little deeper somehow, and i've gotten compliments from passengers on how it sounds when i'm gassing relatively hard.
the install was a bit harder than what i saw on the tech section with the dc sport header, since i had to remove my fan, and i just couldn't get the bolt they gave me for the s-pipe to midpipe connection to work with the springs they sent me, so i just went to the hardware store and got longer bolts. other than that, it was fairly straightforward and i've had no rubbing issues either.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry for getting off topic, but can you link me to where i can get this header?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think i got it from here. i have really bad memory though. http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idproduct=4027
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so weapon r and mmw are the same company?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i too eperienced the loss of tq at 3k rpms.. but bt 4k the car comes alive.. i think it has to do with the 2.5 diameter of the spip..

im thinking about getting a 2.25 spipe made to bring back that TQ...which i think is what mmw should have done to begin with...

im also going to heat wrap the headers soon also.. they are stainless steel so i shouldnt have to worry about rust.. and ill be wrapping it dwn to the spipe passing the oil pan.. should keep the oil al tad cooler also
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonNguyen
so weapon r and mmw are the same company?
yes mmw is a branch of weapon r i think.
Originally Posted by TCpete
im thinking about getting a 2.25 spipe made to bring back that TQ...which i think is what mmw should have done to begin with...

im also going to heat wrap the headers soon also.. they are stainless steel so i shouldnt have to worry about rust.. and ill be wrapping it dwn to the spipe passing the oil pan.. should keep the oil al tad cooler also
oh are the s-pipes that come with the headers the same length as the oem one and aftermarket ones? b/c the header looks longer than other headers, and i thought mmw cut down the s-pipe's length to make up for the difference. i totally forgot to check when i was installing mine. and what heat wrap are you going to be using? i was thinking of doing the same, but didn't really know what to use and how to use it.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the diameter bro not the length.... what are you smoking how can an spipe be 2.5 inches long..
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Old 11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea "bro" i know that a s-pipe isn't less than 3 inches. i just thought the mmw s-pipe's shorter, not 2.25 inches, that other ones.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhitetC21
My alphawerks header and cc spipe don't rattle or rasp at all with my hks. I drove my friend mmw header and hks axle back and I honeslt felt very little difference. Slightly more low end tq, but the top end pull was the same. Maybe my aw was alittle better, but its broken in slightly more, like 100 miles
I have had 3 different headers on my car... First Alphawerks, then Megan, then DC and now im back to stock.

How can you break in metal piping that is just straight through piping? I dont think you can...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im just messin with ya..lol i get really bored at work lol i need something to make my bloos move if not ill die here.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i c. just wanted to make sure u didn't think i was brain dead.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what would be the best way to fix an exhaust leak?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you getting an exhaust leak from?

Also, what's the BEST way to check for an exhaust leak. I somewhat covered up the tailpipe and checked under the car. Didn't see anything. Is there a better way to check. I guess, now that it gets cold hear, I can just look under and see if I see any exhaust smoke?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think one of the best ways is to turn the car on.. and move your hands over all the connections.. have someone rev it if possible also.. if you feel air hitting your hand.. then u have a leak.. u should also be using some kind of high temp sealent at connecting points.. to ensure no leaks are coming out also...
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^yeah i fixed the leak where the spipe connects to the mid pipe but i know i still have a minor leak on where the header meets the spipe. cant really be fixed by the sealant cz the header/engine vibrates and would only break the sealant. do you still have a leak on yours?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah.. use a lot of copper gasket sealer around the inside and the outside.. that will solve all ur issues

Quick Reply: MMW header My review + Owners chime in and post your review