Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

mods that work with trd sc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default mods that work with trd sc?

im looking more for a technical answer on this one, eg.-from a mechanic...etc. i know this is subject matter on various other forum topics, but it is mostly opinions. as far as aftermarket mods with the trd supercharger, i want to know facts. i was debating to get a sc for the tc if/when i got the tc, but after reading the news that toyota will offer it as a trim from the factory this is a deffinate in my opinion. but heres my issue, the last two cars ive owned: 95 v6 accord, 98 svt contour, ive done my fair share of diy'ers. espeicially on the accord. i replaced almost every part on that car and it was b-e-a-utiful. no rice involved. but the thing i always hated is the risk that comes with aftermarket performance parts. the fitment is not an issue and neither is if it adds horsepower. the thing is is if one of those parts affected the engines life by shortening it, or looses some of its everyday driveability, oh well, its a 95. but if i buy a new tc its because its new. for the money i could get a pretty sweet used car, but its used. so, if i buy it new, i want it to last. this means i will only put the cream of the crop parts on it so it runs as close to stock as possible with the added benifit of power. this means ABSOLUTLEY NO chips, or homemade mods. a supercharger from the factory vs an added one after production means that the tc was built for FI, meaning more reliabilty and a computer with new calculations for increased fuel under boost. where it is true the aftermarket headers, full exhaust, intake, etc will significantly increase the engines airflow, thats out of the question, of course it will add power. but whats going to happen to its life an drivebility? CEL codes are commonplace for me with past mods, even though theres really nothing wrong with it, its still not driving like the manufacturer intended. like the newest performance part for the tc, the engine head (cant remember the exact product name) thats dated for soon release: of course it will add a good amount of power. or how about the intake, tb, and intake manifold. aftermarket versions of these will all add power, but how will that afffect a computer that already programmed for boosted conditions? will it smile and approve or make drastic changes and try to compensate this unexpected and unwanted increase of airflow? the answers im looking for i want to include if mods that increase airflow are harmless or conflicting? it would be a lot different if there wasnt a computer trying to be the boss, sometimes they are open to change, sometimes they wont even stand for a new filter. basically im scared to mess up a perfectly new car that i want to do 100% right for a change. someone please enlighten me.........
Old 02-24-2005, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, with your supercharger on the tC I recommend that you have Intake, header and exhaust. To get the full power potential from the supercharger atleast in its lower boost stage that the dealer will set would be to have a free flowing exhaust and a free flowing intake. Think about it....

Anyways, a supercharger is using power from your engine to make more power...there is a process that I can explain to you if you really want me to but thats the gist of it....Putting any kind of performance product onto your tC is going to lower the reliability of it especially with a supercharger. Im sure that it wont have any problems for as long as the warranty is on it and obviously it will be covered. But, im sure down the road you might run into some reliability issues in my honest opinion.

I'd say have fun, keep your stock parts...notice any bull____, put the stocks parts back on, and sell the car.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member

i guess i need to clarify a little...
for example...
the new aftermarket heads. sure, they prob work good with na, but where they built with the intent of a sc or tc added? what will these do to the computer? will it detect to much airflow and try to fix it?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All i know is that if you add headers it will throw the cel light, so i guess the headers werent neccesarily made for the tc, but the aem intake witch will be availiable for the tc was designed specifically for it.
dont know if that answer some of your Q.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the info I'm hearing is that you cannot use aftermarket intakes with TRD S/C. The S/C has it's own intake.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you load the SC on afterwards, If I'm reading right, Toyota is offering a flash of the ECU to accept the added pressure.
also if installed by toyota the SC comes with a 75k mi warranty factory.
throwing some bolt on exhaust parts shouldn't really hinder the reliability of the car. Driving it like a race car everyday might?
if you plan on getting the SC later on, dont get an intake. I think the supercharge kit takes a different intake (using the stock box),. I'm sure AEM or someone will come up with an aftermarket upgrade for this. heck a FMIC kit wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

not headers, HEADS.
the top of the engine that they make aftermarket that are higher flowing
Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah do not bother with an intake if you're adding a supercharger.

A header is always beneficial, especially after you add the s/c. If you throw a CEL, get a sim or a de-fouler.

Other mods good for the car as stated is a head upgrade. If you spend about $500 on a ported head expect at least a 15hp gain. Better flowing piping/muffler combination is always good as well.

A clutch will make a big difference as well, especially if you have ANY intent in going to the race track.

Small things like the nology ignition kit may help later, but proably won't make as much of a difference as some of the other mods. The Weapon-R damper, although it won't add performanct, will make driveability on a heavy launch or in the rain a hell of a lot better by cutting down wheel hop.

Hopefully that's an ok start and helps to back up what some members on this thread already stated.