Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

More Power! Looking for pro advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I was going to say that the turbotoyota waiting list is long and the wait is even longer.

Dezod is sick and Ptuning has had the best results so far.

He just seemed on a budget (never go budget on turbo btw...) so I gave him the best bang for the buck option.

In reality this will cost you 7-8k for several dyno tunes, exhaust etc...

Cams, exhaust, would be nice but then the cams are not for your turbo setup...

So it up to you bro,

like I said earlier good luck and report back when boosted or cam'ed.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:50 PM

Yea the reason I started with the CAI is cause I can do it piece by piece instead of paying one big price at once. I was thinking I could boost the car for around 1000-1500 which put the idea in my mind, but if Im looking more around 4000 thats kinda outta the option. Id rather put pieces on at a time as the paychecks roll in. What would be the best way to go after the CAI? header back system? and which first?

Also about the cams, I heard changing them would be a problem because of the VVT-i. Is that true?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Intake, Header, Exhaust is pretty much your only route, and those won't even get you any noticeable power. They'll just make your car sound like a Honda and you'll still have trouble keeping up with SUV's.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Looks like JDM has a turbo kit available for around $1,100. Does this sound like a legitimate deal and has anyone put this system on thier car?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rules:

#1. don't boost on a budget..
Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rumpelsmoothskin
Looks like JDM has a turbo kit available for around $1,100. Does this sound like a legitimate deal and has anyone put this system on thier car?
Of course it's legit.

Now add another $700 for another turbo for WHEN the seals blow
Add another $750 for fuel management
Add another $400 for a tune
Add another $500 for an exhaust
Add another $300 for gauges
Add another $500 for a good watsegate and BOV
Add another $400 for a clutch

If you can't afford this http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-s1-scion.cfm plus a clutch, tune, gauges and exhaust...AND have money left over for a safety net, you cannot afford to boost.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea go with the dezod kit. If not, I/H/E, cams, nitrous, any kind of suspension work will ACTUALLY make the car faster around turns if that's what you are worried about. i/h/e with a good sus setup instead of cams will make you feel good about your car.

Dezod kit with good sus setup and you will love your car more than a sl55 amg
Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcCALI
TRD supercharger is still available - actually work at a scion dealership and asked the parts department for a price and $4,000. Just turned around and walked away. Anyone have any good websites for ordering the turbo?
once they are gone they are gone for good. the reason they discontinued it is because they have had way too many problems with it.
Yes, they re problem prone but they're TRD(TuRD) and warrantied so if a problem does arise you're in all likelihood covered.

The reason thy have been discontinued is due to the sloping economy and lack of sales. The S/C was literally sitting on shelves, they weren't selling as many at dealerships with the S/C already installed, for the premium they wanted of course, and people weren't shelling out the $2000+ for them at dealerships so instead of having them sit on shelves and continue production they were discontinued. Maybe their underlined reason was due to issues but that is not what Toyota stated.

Power for the money....boost, like Carbon said. There are other options as well like nitrous but you'll spend money every other week on a refill and if you don't have a refill station near you that's even more money. A very good nitrous setup will net you about 220 hp and 240 tq with a 75 shot and can be had for less than $1000. However, the $40 every 2 weeks for the refills will add up.

Then you ave boost were a new kit will cost $4000. Used kits can be had for $2000. The majority come with fuel and ignition management, injectors, IC, IC piping, BOV, turbocharger, etc. Everything you need as close to PNP as possible. Then you add gauges, tune, engine mounts, clutch so a used kit plus everything needed will cost you less than $3500. I just finished mine, for the most part, came up to right around $3400.

Or you can opt for the bolt-ons, which I put down roughly 175whp on a dynojet....140 ish on the mustang dyno.

Exhaust - $500 (catback FTW)
Header - $300-$400 (4-2-1 (MMW) or 4-1 (Strup))
Resonator - $100 Aero25 or Vibrant Ultra Quiet
CAI - $250 Injen FTW
Downpipe - $200
NST Pulley Set - $250

And just that quick you have minimal power gains but it sounds nice but at the same time you could've bought a used turbo and started to save up for the rest of the stuff.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeiselFuel2o2
\
Dezod kit with good sus setup and you will love your car more than a sl55 amg
Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha ok so maybe not more than a sl55 amg I was just telling him he would love his car.

My dad has a sl55amg and I wish it had a stickshift. It's fun to autoX in though

But yea, in all seriousness you will be slower than most cars out there...
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Boosted he'll be fast, really fast. 250+hp FWD car....fast. No traction but fast from a roll above 40mph

I will probably be flamed for this but a boosted tC is pretty darn fast, faster than most sub $27,000 cars. Now let the roasting begin
Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

No, you're right ecko.

But I think he was talking about still being slow if he did I/H/E. IMO, there is nothing more pathetic than a slow car that makes a ton of noise, and a tC with headers that makes about 165whp and sounds like bee is quite the example of pathetic.
Slow + Loud = Lol.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I think mine sounded pretty bad butt when I had I/H/E/R/P sure it was slow but it sounded the part

Go with boost so you can smoke the tires all the way through 3rd
Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Ok, so I think what I may do is just do another easy bolt on until i have enough $$ saved up to get the turbo, so at least my car can sound nice until I get it done. What piece will give my car the deep bass rumble without sounding like a weedwacker? Im thinking the headers would pair nicely with the CAI i have on already, or possibly a catback system. Opinions?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Just get the Dezod 2.5" catback and do not buy headers.

Headers = rasp. People will tell you that resonators will get rid of it, but they don't. They'll help, but they won't get rid of it. 95% of the people who think their car sounds good, haven't heard it from outside their vehicle @ WOT and over 4000RPM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm going to disagree with Carbon on this one.

You can get a header with a quality resonator Aero AR25 or Vibrant Ultra Quiet, couple that with a quality exhaust, if you're going catback or downpipe back, think about Magnaflow, Dezod, maybe a few others and it will sound great IMO.

I heard my car from the outside of it at WOT all the way up to the redline. Sounded good to me with no rasp. I did have videos on YouTube and everyone was asking how I got mine to sound that way with no rasp.

And it's a header, its only 1, regardless of the design 4-1, 4-2-1, its still only 1.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Every single tC that I've heard that had a header, sounded like complete crap.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM

I like the idea of the header to add some asthetics under the hood which is why I was leaning to that, and most exausts Ive heard just sound like fartcans. Magnaflow or Dezod will give it that deep rumble? And if I did the headers will the resonator reduce the rasp enough to make it not sound like crap?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The Dezod 2.5" is the only exhaust I've heard that will actually make an N/A tC sound decent.

Quick Reply: More Power! Looking for pro advise