Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Most built NA

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ you, my friend are a stubborn and uninteligent man, all you have to do is look it up..........
http://www.toyotacelicas.com/information/faq.html
is the fifth one down.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue_TC_Man
the l in the vvtl-i code does not mean lift is how the engine is run, the lift refers to a process where the valve is lifted higher causeing a sudden increase in power, in a vvtl-i engine lift kicks in a 6k rpm, all engines run off lift if you dont think they do take out your cams and allow the car to have no valve lift and see what happens
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude... why dont you just quite now before i start googling or even showing more links on SL or even from toyota r&d THAT CLEARLY STATE everything i have just said lol...

wow

Originally Posted by 1tc4u2nv
^^ you, my friend are a stubborn and uninteligent man, all you have to do is look it up..........
http://www.toyotacelicas.com/information/faq.html
is the fifth one down.
haha thanks carlos... good link... how ya doing bro.. how many kills or tires have you gone through already lol hope u and the wifey are doing good and had a great new years!

sucks to start 2008 being wrong as *****..
Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^me and the wifey are doing good. I've gotten a couple of kills, the best being a crossfire and an sti, both on the highway, the rest were on that video i made. Actually, the tires have held up pretty good, havent had the chance to try the mickey t's. Hope you and ur wife are doing good and enjoyed the new years.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice, keep us updated, thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
ok im half plastered from drinking and partying last night from new years so im gonna tackle this on half a brain...and to shut you noobs up...

FIRST EXPLAINING VTEC:

video on vtec : http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...E74118BB4A.htm

VTEC works with cams shafts that have 2 different profiles a soft profile and a harsher profile...for daily driving and fuel economy ur driving on the softer profile until you hit about 5k-5500k rpms (depending on which vtec motor in which the vtec solenoid locks the rockers to now slide over to the harsher side creating VTEC in which now the car uses more power created by the harsher cam that has a lumpier duration to create more lift in the valves intake and exhuast making more power. VTEC motors run on lift and timing because there is no science and no ecu controlling at which point it deems it necessary to cross over to produce the power.. it is a steady punch and 1 time in the rpm range.

If u think of it this way say u have a camaro with a 350 v8, it comes with a certain cam that is designed for everyday driving and fuel economy. Now put a big choppy cam in it which gives u an incredible top end increase but u have a rough idle and ur low end power is dead untill u reach the cam's operating rpm. Vtec combines the 2 cams maximizing the whole powerband and allowing u to have a smooth running fuel efficient 4 cylinder for everyday commuting but when u want to play you have the power on demand.

also TOYOTA HAS 2 VERSIONS OF VVT-I TECHNOLOGY DUMBASSES

vvti = variable valve timing inteligence
vvtl-i = variable valve timing lift inteligence

Now with vvti all this does is change the duration of which the valves open. VVTI adjusts the amount of valve overlap there is. Valve overlap when BOTH the intake and exhaust valve is open at the same time. This between the exhaust and intake stroke. For an engine to make more power and be more efficient you want to bring the most air in and out as fast as possible. This is possible by keeping the intake valve open longer and opening the exhaust valve earlier. During high RPM conditions more valve overlap is better. However too much valve overlap can cause the air to enter the wrong port, as you can imagine when you have both valve open at the same time. At high RPMs the intake velocity will not allow the exhaust to enter the intake port. But during low rpms less overlap is better because there is less intake velocity. It works by using hydraulic pressure to adjust either the cam gear or the gear driving the timing chain (im not sure which one) So to sum it up VVTI controls valve overlap to make it more efficient meaning more low end torque and more high end power.

VVTI DOES NOT KICK IN AT A CERTAIN POINT LIKE VTEC R AT 6K RPMS IF U THINK THAT UR AN IDIOT....it continuously modifies the timing throughtout the powerband to compensate for driving conditions!! yes at around 4k rpms the motor comes alive but thats because that rpm is no longer a normal driving fuel economy using period int he rpms range in which the ecu advances the TIMING on the cam shaft considerably to allow more power to be made..

VVTL-I the key feature is the L in which THAT means lift... a motor to work specifically on lift and timing... these are motors in toyotas higher power cars (lexus's) they work on a similar vvti pattern how ever work also on LIFT duration which is more similar now to hondas i-vtec...

VVTI- AND HONDAS IVTEC ARE NOT the same.... honda designs their motors to create power at 1 point (vtec) toyota cerated their motors to have continous timing changes to created power through out the power band....

VVTI only works on the intake cam also.. not on the exhuast.. anyone who has ever opened up the valve cover will see the exhuast side having no cam adjustment system and the intake side having a large disc which continuously controls the timing on the intake side...THIS IS NOT SIMILAR TO VTEC MOTORS in which both sides are affected by timing...I KNOW THIS CUZ IVE WORKED ON BOTH MOTORS....AND HAVE OWNED AND BUILT BOTH...

here is more supporting and correct information that will explain vvti- vtec and vvtli

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec3.htm

IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO GO INTO MORE DETAIL I'D BE HAPPY TO!
if you want more supporting links blah blah blah there are so many on scion life saying the same crap i just said it hurts my brain to think of it...

thanks and have a nice day fellas and a happy after new years first day.....

and if your dumb enough to compare japanese motors and american motors and how they work and are built you should just sit infront of your tv, have a beer and go watch nascar and leave posting on the internet to those with more brains...

good post, a lot of info about VVTI,VVTLI,and VTEC. Had a lot of detail, and a good explanation.

but this wasnt the arugment, comparing Vtec and VVTI.

My main point is that all these TC "experts" are saying that replacing your current camshaft with one with INCREASE LIFT will not increase the horsepower.

Every engine uses acam to lift the valves off of their seats....increase the distance you can push the valve down, there is a possibile increase of airflow. Simple...

VVTI coupled with a high lift cam(at least from how it has been explained to me on this post) should produce good horsepower, and a decent idle due to the changes by the VVTI "computer"

thats all I am saying, and i think that is what everyone else is saying
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM

With the proper build and tuning cams will help your power. But you have to have it tuned to the car or you will run overly rich. You also don't want to put cams on a stock head or stock bottom end or you won't gain ____ with our cars. The best thing to do is build the engine then the head and tune it properly if you do all of that then you can easily see #'s above 200. Just make sure everything is done the way it needs to be done and a proper tuning is done.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Tuning is always required in any big engine build, especially N/A

point i was arguing is that increasing lift increases airflow. Increasing airflow generally increases HP
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i give up... theres no hope here... fk it... u guys are way behind on dont understand how this motor works.. w.e lol
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lol itz okay. I actually spent hours seeing why yur right, and u are. I am still very young and new to this stuff, But pete you said you are going to get EMS? Do you think i should get an emanage just for my I/H/E setup?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

short answer would be no, but the even shorter answer would be search. you wont gain that much with EMS for I/H/E you would need more supporting mods to justify spending the money on the EMS and then the Tune.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

uhmm im sorry to be mean but search is not a shorter answer then "no" and i did search i got 509 results. And 1 thread actually said getting the EMS fixed his A/F ratios that were F* up by the I/H/E. Besides i think i am running rich anyway my gas mileage sucked. I just asked cuz i wanted a 2nd opinion which is why i asked Pete.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes and no.... no becuase most ppl arent really going to see much gains from getting an ems based only just i/h/e/p ... but in most cases any gain is a good one... how ever yes u would because the a/f rations are very speratic on a tc.. one day ur great and the car feels strong..the next day it just doesnt wana move....

but this is all relevant to who tunes your car.. if you have a good tuner im sure he can squeeze out some hidden ponies...if u have a crack pot tuner.. u wont see much of crap...

for me im saving up to upgrade the stock midpipe to 2.25 and then getting an FIC.. or getting the FIC and then upgrading the midpipe after.. im hoping to just clean up the already current rich running pattern i have and also make the cars daily driving more stable in stead of just 1 day awesome 8 days crap....

feel me?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

mengsta i know no is shorter then search but it has ben discussed before i was just being a smartasss
Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol dave... nice to see your starting 08 off right lol
Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

no difference between 07 and 08 man
Old 01-03-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
no difference between 07 and 08 man
lol.. hey when the EF u gotta throw up pics of the wood grain!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i posted them in my thread, i don't have installed pics cus i dont even have my car back
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hopelessly lost on how our motor works...sure...right....

this is what i hate about forums
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I actually like forums. Just alot of time wasted lol. and thanks pete. But i remember reading some old thread on club-tc.com titled backpressure 101 by lo bux racer i think saying the headers make you run lean? Im confused. But if my gas mileage is horrible it would be im running rich right, since there is too much fuel. And you're saying a good tuner could fix the A/F ratios? Damn I shoulda did more research. if i knew i/h/e would kill my gas i wulda kept my car stock. And dave no worries, I just did search, I just posted in the other thread too, just found out pete is on that one lol.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on tc's typically the ecu likes to dump fuel.. if you have any doubts just look at the carbon deposits at the end of your exhuast or smell the air around the car ...if u smell gas ur running richer then richy rich..

Quick Reply: Most built NA