Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Most built NA

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^^^I love that smell, lol
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Man I just wished i would have known earlier. Would of definitely kept mine stock. I get just about 200 miles per tank. And no i dont gun it at every light. Why do people that have I/H/E seem fine? Maybe i just dont know. lol. So you're saying the only way of getting my mileage back is getting my car tuned? Also correct me if im wrong, Atleast running rich is not a risk at reliability, as oposed to running lean right?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
Man I just wished i would have known earlier. Would of definitely kept mine stock. I get just about 200 miles per tank. And no i dont gun it at every light. Why do people that have I/H/E seem fine? Maybe i just dont know. lol. So you're saying the only way of getting my mileage back is getting my car tuned? Also correct me if im wrong, Atleast running rich is not a risk at reliability, as oposed to running lean right?
running rich can lead to gasoline in the oil, which isn't good.

Have you tried reseting your ECU?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dont know why you would spend all this money and then not get your caar tuned anyways....
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Me? Well don nguyen i never knew i would have to get my car tuned with just a couple of bolt ons. Yeah i have resetted my ecu. But if i was running rich enough to get gas in the oil, Wouldnt i have a CEL ? Since thers is a specific code to running rich or lean.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
Me? Well don nguyen i never knew i would have to get my car tuned with just a couple of bolt ons. Yeah i have resetted my ecu. But if i was running rich enough to get gas in the oil, Wouldnt i have a CEL ? Since thers is a specific code to running rich or lean.
to my knowledge, no,

Qyuick Question: how are you confirming your AFR? have u had the car dynoed to see if it is the guage?

not really my area of expertise, but i have intake and exhaust, and get at least 300 miles per tank
Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

300 miles was wat i used to get stock, good stuff. And no i havnt dynoed yet, but im assuming running rich burns fuel. Though ive been more careful, i always pump 20 bucks of gas, which gets me about 5.9 gallons, which in turn i get about 120 miles till i reach the same spot. Estimate is about 20 miles a gallon, which i can accept so ill drop the whole bad mileage crap and deal with it, even tho i wish it was better. And if you're asking how do other people know the AFR? they probably have those gauges.

And Don Nguyen please tell me who you are talking too, you expect people to get tuned on I/H/E?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by checho10
Im pretty sure its TCpete, he is pushing the high 180's I believe with high compression pistons along with the i/h/e, he is doing high 9's on the track last time I heard

High 9's? You can do high 9's in a tC with just an exhaust on it and decent tires.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm just saying in general..
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonNguyen
i have as much money in my car as he does(rough guess), and i need to tune my car..with my intake and exhaust??

nah....

oh btw...from the looks of the profiles, he has spent a good bit less then you have on his car

is yours cutom tuned??
Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you want the most out of your mods, you're gonna have to tune...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I see, fair enough answer. Just kinda sucks how aftermarket bolt ons just cant keep the A/F ratio atleast withing spec. Also itz not like tuning is an easy thing that the "backyard DIY car guy" would be able to do.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
ok im half plastered from drinking and partying last night from new years so im gonna tackle this on half a brain...and to shut you noobs up...

FIRST EXPLAINING VTEC:

video on vtec : http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...E74118BB4A.htm

VTEC works with cams shafts that have 2 different profiles a soft profile and a harsher profile...for daily driving and fuel economy ur driving on the softer profile until you hit about 5k-5500k rpms (depending on which vtec motor in which the vtec solenoid locks the rockers to now slide over to the harsher side creating VTEC in which now the car uses more power created by the harsher cam that has a lumpier duration to create more lift in the valves intake and exhuast making more power. VTEC motors run on lift and timing because there is no science and no ecu controlling at which point it deems it necessary to cross over to produce the power.. it is a steady punch and 1 time in the rpm range.

If u think of it this way say u have a camaro with a 350 v8, it comes with a certain cam that is designed for everyday driving and fuel economy. Now put a big choppy cam in it which gives u an incredible top end increase but u have a rough idle and ur low end power is dead untill u reach the cam's operating rpm. Vtec combines the 2 cams maximizing the whole powerband and allowing u to have a smooth running fuel efficient 4 cylinder for everyday commuting but when u want to play you have the power on demand.

also TOYOTA HAS 2 VERSIONS OF VVT-I TECHNOLOGY DUMBASSES

vvti = variable valve timing inteligence
vvtl-i = variable valve timing lift inteligence

Now with vvti all this does is change the duration of which the valves open. VVTI adjusts the amount of valve overlap there is. Valve overlap when BOTH the intake and exhaust valve is open at the same time. This between the exhaust and intake stroke. For an engine to make more power and be more efficient you want to bring the most air in and out as fast as possible. This is possible by keeping the intake valve open longer and opening the exhaust valve earlier. During high RPM conditions more valve overlap is better. However too much valve overlap can cause the air to enter the wrong port, as you can imagine when you have both valve open at the same time. At high RPMs the intake velocity will not allow the exhaust to enter the intake port. But during low rpms less overlap is better because there is less intake velocity. It works by using hydraulic pressure to adjust either the cam gear or the gear driving the timing chain (im not sure which one) So to sum it up VVTI controls valve overlap to make it more efficient meaning more low end torque and more high end power.

VVTI DOES NOT KICK IN AT A CERTAIN POINT LIKE VTEC R AT 6K RPMS IF U THINK THAT UR AN IDIOT....it continuously modifies the timing throughtout the powerband to compensate for driving conditions!! yes at around 4k rpms the motor comes alive but thats because that rpm is no longer a normal driving fuel economy using period int he rpms range in which the ecu advances the TIMING on the cam shaft considerably to allow more power to be made..

VVTL-I the key feature is the L in which THAT means lift... a motor to work specifically on lift and timing... these are motors in toyotas higher power cars (lexus's) they work on a similar vvti pattern how ever work also on LIFT duration which is more similar now to hondas i-vtec...

VVTI- AND HONDAS IVTEC ARE NOT the same.... honda designs their motors to create power at 1 point (vtec) toyota cerated their motors to have continous timing changes to created power through out the power band....

VVTI only works on the intake cam also.. not on the exhuast.. anyone who has ever opened up the valve cover will see the exhuast side having no cam adjustment system and the intake side having a large disc which continuously controls the timing on the intake side...THIS IS NOT SIMILAR TO VTEC MOTORS in which both sides are affected by timing...I KNOW THIS CUZ IVE WORKED ON BOTH MOTORS....AND HAVE OWNED AND BUILT BOTH...

here is more supporting and correct information that will explain vvti- vtec and vvtli

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec3.htm

IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO GO INTO MORE DETAIL I'D BE HAPPY TO!
if you want more supporting links blah blah blah there are so many on scion life saying the same crap i just said it hurts my brain to think of it...

thanks and have a nice day fellas and a happy after new years first day.....

and if your dumb enough to compare japanese motors and american motors and how they work and are built you should just sit infront of your tv, have a beer and go watch nascar and leave posting on the internet to those with more brains...
Holy ____!!
where do u keep all this info, mt head just exploded from reading this
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I havnt even started reading those links. I thought my head would hurt too, is it worth reading though?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Im pretty sure its TCpete, he is pushing the high 180's I believe with high compression pistons along with the i/h/e, he is doing high 9's on the track last time I heard

High 9's? You can do high 9's in a tC with just an exhaust on it and decent tires.

In the 1/8th....yea so far down here TCPete and one other have dipped into the 9's, as far as we know....
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

travis the 1/8 mile track condition we have here are not the same as maybe in other places.. the track is horrible... no grip.. and ghetto.. but get the job done...

to give u an idea.. gsr swapped EG hatches that make 170 whp pull 9.8... WE being me and joe are putting the same if not MUCH LESS times.. which is a fkn superb job considering what we are up against and track conditions....

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
Originally Posted by DonNguyen
i have as much money in my car as he does(rough guess), and i need to tune my car..with my intake and exhaust??

nah....

oh btw...from the looks of the profiles, he has spent a good bit less then you have on his car

is yours cutom tuned??
guess again.....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ht=motor+super

mod list:
injen intake
mmw header
greddy evo2 exhuast
custom 2.25 piping with vibrant resonator coming soon
dr. isotope old school radiator cooling plate

head:
port and polished by AES polishing
1mm oversized titanium REV valves
REV titanium springs
REV titanium retainers
stock cams

block:
weisco 11.1 pistons
carillo rods
acl bearings

.....and theres alot more things at that time i had.. 191 whp.. UNTUNED..stock midpipe... if i got the midpipe done and tuned the car i probably would have broken 200 whp...

i think no matter what...even a basic NA setup should get a small tune... its not necessary but it would not hurt...i NEEDED IT ber never did it because im going in a new route now..

oh well.... boost here i come now with a new motor... woot!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by caveman

In the 1/8th....yea so far down here TCPete and one other have dipped into the 9's, as far as we know....

I think you miss understood me. For the mods he has, he should be running faster than high 9's. I was saying that you can run high 9's with nothing more than an exhaust. That's what I ran (high 9's in the 1/8th), and low 15's in the 1/4 when we were just exhaust equipped.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

travis the 1/8 mile track condition we have here are not the same as maybe in other places.. the track is horrible... no grip.. and ghetto.. but get the job done...

to give u an idea.. gsr swapped EG hatches that make 170 whp pull 9.8... WE being me and joe are putting the same if not MUCH LESS times.. which is a fkn superb job considering what we are up against and track conditions....

What kind of 60 foot time are you seeing there?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Also Tc Pete, i understand that we need a small tune for any kind of mod, just to be safe. but correct me if im wrong, say in 4 years wen im due for smog here in CALi i would have to go back to stock exhaust/ headers to pass; Would i need to retune? Since i would be running on stock. Or would it be safe to just drive those few miles just to get it smogged then, Put my I/H/E back on?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of 60 foot time are you seeing there?
I'm pretty sure he's seeing about the same as I was, my best 60'ft there was about 2.35, but that was only once everything else was above 2.4.

Quick Reply: Most built NA