Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

so i'm taking it that you have a stick? i don't want to be a pessimist, but if you beat your car every day like that, you're only asking for trouble!!! the tC is a reat daily driver, not a race car!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

Originally Posted by DestroyedTC
i drive my car hard every day...
That answers your question right there. Why should a dealer replace an engine you neglected? Only so you can do it again? I have to agree with squallL on this one. And to contemplate suicide over a blown engine... that's just idiotic.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you brought this situation upon yourself. GL with whatever you do.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously dude, you reap what you sow. you beat the crap outta your tc, now it is just that, crap. it was even trying to tell you that something was wrong with it by giving you a CEL. but you ignored it and beat it to death.

i weep for your poor car. it didn't deserve this kind of treatment.

now either suck it up and pay to fix it, or sell it for the remaining value and get a jalopy because you just don't know how to take care of nice things.

something my grandfather taught me about machines. you either work the machine and have it break on you, or you work with the machine and take care of it. the easier you are on it, the longer and better it will serve you.

this from a man who, along with his brothers, built their first tractor over half a century ago out on their farm in montana. he sense then restored many antique tractors, one of them even ended up in the smithsonian institute.

you got what you deserved, i only hope you learned from your car's sacrifice.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has gotta be a troll post. No one is that stupid.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
This has gotta be a troll post. No one is that stupid.
You'd be surprised. But I can't believe someone being 28 years old would think about committing suicide over a car. If his life is really that sad and pathetic, he has bigger issues than a blown up tC.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

whoa oil cap missing who was the last person that did the change? And what made u think dropping it down a gear would help the situation? If i had a check engine light on and my car wouldnt rev past 4500 id pull to the side of the road. Sorry to say it but like everyone else says "its your own fault and u should get it fixed" Ebay motor or start hitting the junk yards. 15K for a tc with a blown motor? hardly get that with one that runs lol. Dont get a beater get a loan and buy a new motor while ur at it build it and get a turbo.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 PM

ya ucan say i have bigger issues i have an almost maxed cc bills i can handle with my job but barely ijust moved out to the middle of the fuhken country with no friends no girl no life right now im piece of ____ and totally depressed the cel was on for a long time and was told by a couple repair places that they couldnt find the problem or they couldnt turn the cel off w/e the tc is a pos i will fix it and trade it in for a new one in the meantime my plan of action is geting a 2k$ loan and using the $1k i managed to save and put it towards a 5th gen civic hatch like i had for my last car use that and save up for the 4 or 5$ k dollars ill need to rebuild btw..i have a family friend who builds nascar engines for a few teams he has hook ups and knows this older guy who does odd jobs and might hook me up on a deal i dunno i need some sort of break here ill keep u posted an ya i think i learned my lesson on this one i should of been more cautious
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

oh and btw..about the msising oil cap my mother also had had service done at firestone tires for an oil change and they ddi the same thing ..never put the oil cap on -.-
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrScion07
whoa oil cap missing who was the last person that did the change? And what made u think dropping it down a gear would help the situation? If i had a check engine light on and my car wouldnt rev past 4500 id pull to the side of the road. Sorry to say it but like everyone else says "its your own fault and u should get it fixed" Ebay motor or start hitting the junk yards. 15K for a tc with a blown motor? hardly get that with one that runs lol. Dont get a beater get a loan and buy a new motor while ur at it build it and get a turbo.
Big mistake. If he popped a stock tC motor, he'd probably pop a built motor too. :D

Seriously, if you blow a motor you have pretty much two options:

1) Junk it. You might get half of what a new one costs without a working motor, so figure $8-$10k, at best.

2) Fix it. Yeah, it'll run you a few grand ($2-$3k, like everyone's been saying), but maybe after shelling out that money, you won't Terrance your car. (Terrance is the name of a guy on another forum, basically did what you did. Bought a brand new Jetta, went through 2 intake manifolds and 2 transmissions, all within 8k miles before the dealer finally denied his warranty. He had overrev codes, lauched from 5-6k on every launch, according to him, and still wanted to claim that his Jetta was a 'lemon'.)

You don't need advice from us on what to do.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

What you need to do is go back to that place you got your oil changes from and see whats up with them not putting oil caps on your car. I bet they didnt even fill it up with oil either.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:26 PM

I can go back to them and say hey why didnt you put the oil cap on and did you even put any oil in it..because i actualy didnt see a new oil sticker but what will they say ..just deny it i cant see them takin any blame at all
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM

be assured im a changed man to be honest and blunt i had a 93 civic hatch with b16 swap and chipped ecu to let me rev to 9500 and yes i blew that motor too..im addicted to speed but now i realize that i need to seriously rationalize and understand that it should be to a limit...i will not let there be a 3rd strike and im out im looking now for a 2k-3k $ 92-95 civic hatch
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I must have totally missed the oil cap thing. The smell and tons of smoke should have given that away before you blew up the car. And how do you have TWO shops that cant put an oil cap back on????

You also mention that the tC is a pos... based on what? It blew up do to terrible neglect, no oil, severley over-revving, etc.

I feel for you on the life thing as it sounds like you are going through a rough time. But it sounds like you should invest some serious time in learning cars before doing anything to another one. Sounds like you had someone build up your last one and then destroyed it. Take the time to learn what is going on before modding or driving hard. I drive my tC hard everytime I autox it, but I dont break it.

But I can tell you that the car was revved WELL past 5500 rpm to do what you described.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

On a side note guys, how bad is it to constantly run a car near red line? I ask, because every auto car I've ever had would shift at redline when floored. I've never blown a motor, and my xA held up fine with daily flogging at redline until I got rid of it. The rev limitre should kick in before any damage occurs, but being that this is only my 2nd manual car...

But I never mis-shift and over rev, and I always make air my car is in tip top condition
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
On a side note guys, how bad is it to constantly run a car near red line? I ask, because every auto car I've ever had would shift at redline when floored. I've never blown a motor, and my xA held up fine with daily flogging at redline until I got rid of it. The rev limitre should kick in before any damage occurs, but being that this is only my 2nd manual car...

But I never mis-shift and over rev, and I always make air my car is in tip top condition
The word 'should' is almost a four letter word in my vocabulary, especially when it comes to cars. Just because something 'should' be able to handle something doesn't mean it 'will'. If the car was built as it was supposed to be, then technically you're right. The car shouldn't have a problem going up to redline, and shouldn't blow the motor.

However, if the builders had an off day, or the machinery decided to build something to the largest (or smallest) size allowed with tolerances, you could see all kinds of little BS problems that you wouldn't see driving under, say, 4k RPMs. For example, if the valve spring rate was at the lowest possible threshold, you might see some valve float near the redline, which is bad. It could theoretically ignite all the gas in the intake manifold, fuel rail, etc. Just bad. (I'm no auto mechanic, though, so if someone has a better example, I'll gladly recant what I just said. :D)

Some cars can take abuse, and some just crack. Not just specific models of cars, but the individual cars themselves. Unfortunately, the only way to really know is to break it. Otherwise, all you could end up doing is making the car a 'lemon' for the next unsuspecting driver. :D
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=191571
Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the answer... And you make a good point.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 AM

must have totally missed the oil cap thing. The smell and tons of smoke should have given that away before you blew up the car. And how do you have TWO shops that cant put an oil cap back on????
---
You make it sound like it was smoking for 5min b4 it blew up ..i only saw the smoke right after the engine lost complete power and it was already blown...the oil cap thing i mentioned...was the SAME shop ..2 diff veh's 2 diff times
Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While you're at it, I'd get a new clutch too because I'm sure if your motor's had it then your clutch is right there with it.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by DestroyedTC
You make it sound like it was smoking for 5min b4 it blew up ..
Actually, if you didn't have the oil cap on, you should have been smelling and seeing smoke from the time you left the oil change; Oil would have gotten on your exhaust manifold/header when you started the engine.

Quick Reply: My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate