Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You have to thank Toyota for only having idiot lights on their cars. No temp gauge and no oil pressure gage. If you left the oil change with no cap I have to agree that you would have smelled smoke right away. Your black box will document your hard driving---but all the dealer can tell you is that you are not covered by warranty. Good luck!!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

TC's have a temp guage...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep, just no oil pressure gauge. This is why it blows my mind to see someone boost one and buy a nice set of gauges with no oil pressure gauge. That and boost pressure would be by far the first two on my list. Hell, I may find a nice clean way to mount an oil pressure gauge on my NA tC. I have seen firsthand a car lose almost all pressure before the dummy lights come on. I hate that most cars come with only a dummy light.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sorry to hear about your problem.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM

update i went to the bank and got a loan consolidated into my car loan for 6k$ so i still pay the same monthly payments just extended 2.5 more years the only stipulation being i need to provide receipts for the work ..i just bought the engine on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...145825243&rd=1 ..now i have someone who will do this for 1-1.5k $ so i should be able to pay back at least half the loan ..only 1 prob is im renting a 2008 chrslyer something or other car (which is very boring being auto) at 25$ a day so i am expecting me getting the engine then having this guy do it a turnaround time of about 3 weeks :X
Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM

i even thought about buying a engine rebuild kit ready for boost and throw those receipts into the bank :p but then i thought to myself im broke and need to pay this thing off and wait till i move up in this company im in and wont run that well in the meantime with low comp
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And honestly, you need to spend some time learning as well as building up your income base before starting to make big changes to the car. I dont mean any offense, but you seem to have an issue with not knowing how to drive your cars without blowing them up. Getting over that and learning how things work rather than just throwing money at a shop to do the work (and not knowing how to troubleshoot it) will save you a lot of pain down the road.

I am guessing you are taking it to a shop (I cant fathom a friend charging you 1500 for a few day job), so make sure it is a good one.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yea for 1500 it better be a good job and problem free and have some sort of warranty should any problems related to installation happens..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member

borrow some money and get a use engine on ebay there was one for 1500 dollars and sorry to hear that too
Old 09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

my plan is...since the car isnt covered being it wasnt in a collision/accident, just push ur car into a telephone pole, or wall then call ur insurance and tell them u hit a pole/wall...they'll cover it...

hapened to my bro, he was racing and drunk, ran into a hill wrecked, then the next day he punctured the tire, calld it in, then said " my tire blew while i was driving, lost control they i crashed into this hill...am i covered?" yess he was...
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am guessing you are joking and not that incredibly dumb to post that seriously.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

rofl....
Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only thing you left out was that he was talking on the phone as well. :D
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM

ok let me ask u all something ..with no tools and never working on a car in the past ..how hard / long would it take to swap this out and actualy working ..i used to work at a vacuum / sewing repair shop so i have a hint of mechanical know how ..is there any step by step guides of a oem engine swap here or anywhere on the net?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The only thing you left out was that he was talking on the phone as well. :D
And trying to eat Taco Bell while doing all the other stuff!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Originally Posted by DestroyedTC
You make it sound like it was smoking for 5min b4 it blew up ..
Actually, if you didn't have the oil cap on, you should have been smelling and seeing smoke from the time you left the oil change; Oil would have gotten on your exhaust manifold/header when you started the engine.
Actually, when I took my tC in for its first oil change, the dealer didn't put the cap back on. I started it up and drove it home with no scent or smoke, but the car sounded like it had an exhaust leak. Got home and there was oil all over the engine bay (about a 15 min drive).
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

destroyedtc, I haven't found any guide to the engine swap, but its not really a job for a novice mechanic unless you have someone there who's done it b4
Old 09-17-2007, 10:11 PM

well heres an update..i been renting a 07 chrysler sebring (pos ) and got a loan for 6k$ added onto my loan for the car so it includes gap coverage..i bought the engine for 1200 total and shopped some shops around and they want anywhere from 500-1k for labor to put it in..so all in all no more tahn 2k $ to do it..ill have 4k to do as i please so i might just pay off my credit card (almost) ..i wouldnt put it back towards loan because having gap who knows if i happen to get into an accident wink wink it will be covered
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4k? Rods and pistons, dude! It'll help keep this from happening again. ;)
Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
And honestly, you need to spend some time learning as well as building up your income base before starting to make big changes to the car. I dont mean any offense, but you seem to have an issue with not knowing how to drive your cars without blowing them up. Getting over that and learning how things work rather than just throwing money at a shop to do the work (and not knowing how to troubleshoot it) will save you a lot of pain down the road.
x2

I don't undestand how this thread went to three pages. There needs to be an emoticon that says 'Don't feed the trolls'.

Quick Reply: My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate