Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM

ok heres my dilemna sure i drive fast who doesnt ..i consider myself a GREAT driver actualy i can shift perfectly with no riding of the cluth no grinding ..i see racing vids i see people with nitrous i see turbos on stock engines i see road course racing noone ever blows up their engine ..my car had 40k miles on it and blew a golf ball sized hole in my block ..with nothing but a cat back exhaust on it and some occasional high revving...how am i supposed to "learning how to drive a car without blowing it up" ..i bet you i do as what 90% of this forum does in regards to driving habbits
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 PM

-- new update ---
ok i got the engine today now im paying someone 50$ to pick it up and bring it to a shop..also the guy who is doing my car is picking it up tonight should cost 500-1k to repair i have 100 miles of towing free with my roadside program...
my dilemna
do iget this thing fixed and then crash it on purpose to owe nothing on the car or the debt and start fresh
or
do i continue to pay for the car for the next 6 years while doing some mods along the way
or do i get this fixed adn do a trade in for a new civic si
Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all I know is option 1 is not a good option.

and holy crap.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't intentionally crash your car. that is the stupidest thing you could ever do. just fix it, get it running reliably, take car of it performing the proper maitenance. continue to make payments on it and when you are finacially able to trade it in for a new car.

you don't want to go to federal pound me in the butt peniteniary, where we'll be sure to tell the corrections officers to put you on suicide watch so you'll never have anything sharper than a spork to eat gruel for your institutionalization.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM

update again: engine was put in within 2 -3 days cost a total of 450$ for fluids labor r+r good guy made all accomodations and was real genuine with everything i highly recommend him his shop is located in midwest city ok if anyone needs major repairs or just an honest guy pm me and ill give u his shop name / phone # if anyone needs it...
so in total
1200 - engine
450 - rental car
450 - engine r+r
---
2100$ so that leaves me with 3700 or so to do what i need either put it towards my cc or buy my old love a 92-95 civic hatch and have it be a project car

car runs good so far but seems like im using more gas than normal 20 min of driving and 1/8 tank gone maybe im dreaming ill have to keep an eye
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Put it back to your credit man, you just had an engine swap and you might run into a problem later.. Using that money for another car is just not a good idea, also before you start a project car you should start by learning how to maintain a car which not only covers change oil or checking coolant and fluids. So take care of that car, save and save (dont do mods) and then get a new car to start fresh..
Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

seriously...who blows 2 motors and doesnt learn?

do yourself a favor...sell the car, pay off your loan and credit cards, and buy a bicycle...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonNguyen

do yourself a favor...sell the car, pay off your loan and credit cards, and buy a bicycle...
This guy :D
Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Nychold

This guy :D
yeah, but he's actually doing something with the car and not just daily driving it...and at least he's learning...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM

im trying to learn..thats y i thought project car i cant take chances with my daily driver but with a car in my garage i can take my time and learn how things work and are put together and general maintanance ..i blew my first engine because it was a b16 obd0 engine in a 92-95 civic wit a p28 ecu the shop kind of hack jobbed it..so that was doomed from the start
Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its your responsibility to double check the work too...you're as much at fault for letting them do the hack job...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

ya i was young and naive didnt know any better the only thing i knew at that time is i didnt want a domestic or be a redneck w/ a pickup import for life!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so you were young and naive up until 3 weeks ago?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you were young and naive up until 3 weeks ago?
He still is. Insurance fraud was an *option*.

Originally Posted by DestroyedTC
..i consider myself a GREAT driver actualy i can shift perfectly with no riding of the cluth no grinding ..i see racing vids i see people with nitrous i see turbos on stock engines i see road course racing noone ever blows up their engine ..my car had 40k miles on it and blew a golf ball sized hole in my block
So you've seen videos of people going F/I driving 40K plus with no problems? How long was that video?

...or you saw videos lasting no longer than 3 minutes of people beating on their cars?

You see, you don't know the situation of every F/I, or what happens to those cars after those races, or 5 miles or 5K down the line. Don't use 'the internets' to justify your terrible *daily* driving habits. You blew up your engine. Continue to drive poorly, you'll blow up the next one, and get yourself in deeper debt.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok heres my dilemna sure i drive fast who doesnt ..i consider myself a GREAT driver actualy i can shift perfectly with no riding of the cluth no grinding ..i see racing vids i see people with nitrous i see turbos on stock engines i see road course racing noone ever blows up their engine ..my car had 40k miles on it and blew a golf ball sized hole in my block ..with nothing but a cat back exhaust on it and some occasional high revving...how am i supposed to "learning how to drive a car without blowing it up" ..i bet you i do as what 90% of this forum does in regards to driving habbits
I'm sure we all love driving fast but stressing your engine to the point of failure and ignoring the warning lights is the most ignorant thing you can do. I rarely go past 4.5k RPM (once every 1 or 2 months to get into traffic/highway). Set limits for yourself and don't exceed them, otherwise you won't have any will power and you will have people laugh at you for this kind of stunt. Take care of your debt, your car and yourself and you can start living a better life.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 PM

wow this forum loves to bash on the individual.. i dont know what i was thinking going to toyota..i used to love the import scene but now im going back to my honda pride and past ...and consider myself a honda enthusiast rather than import..the communitys there were more understanding and empathetic..maybe its just the forum here but im pretty frustrated explainiong my story over and over about y i ignored the warning lights and how i drive hard..and how i explained about how people with f/i beat their cars not with their foot but the turbo /nos itself..beating the car n/a should last longer f/i even if the n/a is driven hard this don wing guy just likes to be a hick and redneck with his responces giving this community a bad rep ..i was young and naive ABOUT MY FIRST CAR!!! ..noone reads posts here i guess..anyways i dont care what you say...toyota and its reliable engines is a myth go search the net for all the blown engines and the golf ball sized holes in thier blocks like mine..and yes i will look at crashing this thing i work in insurance and know how the procedures when claims r filed after its done im going back to honda and its community remember..if you want member retention on this forum then you shouldnt bash on the newbies gives teh forum and scion in general a bad taste in ones mouth... im out
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow this forum loves to bash on the individual.. i dont know what i was thinking going to toyota..i used to love the import scene but now im going back to my honda pride and past ...and consider myself a honda enthusiast rather than import..the communitys there were more understanding and empathetic..maybe its just the forum here but im pretty frustrated explainiong my story over and over about y i ignored the warning lights and how i drive hard..and how i explained about how people with f/i beat their cars not with their foot but the turbo /nos itself..beating the car n/a should last longer f/i even if the n/a is driven hard this don wing guy just likes to be a hick and redneck with his responces giving this community a bad rep ..i was young and naive ABOUT MY FIRST CAR!!! ..noone reads posts here i guess..anyways i dont care what you say...toyota and its reliable engines is a myth go search the net for all the blown engines and the golf ball sized holes in thier blocks like mine..and yes i will look at crashing this thing i work in insurance and know how the procedures when claims r filed after its done im going back to honda and its community remember..if you want member retention on this forum then you shouldnt bash on the newbies gives teh forum and scion in general a bad taste in ones mouth... im out
I read all 4 pages and you said you blew your Honda Civic with a b16 swap by driving it too hard. You KNEW about the CEL and transmission problems in the tC yet you continued driving it. All you have is an axle-back exhaust, just like the TRD axle-back exhaust, how can they void your engine/transmission warranty for an exhaust? It was neglect on your part and some people need a reality check to realize that nothing is invincible. Even if Toyota made it
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to agree with this guy you guys are eating him alive. look i can understand how he could think that the Tc can take a beating ive owned many hondas and they are very hard to kill yeah trannys make grind eventually but it keeps going. my initial though was when he went to downshif he went into the wrong gear and manually over reved the engine. i drive hard on the street or hwy at time with out a doubt on the track be it drag or auto-x i managed to put 27 passes on my crx in one day at a local track. ship happens and there is one think i have learned about the tc a engine is not that expensive just look around they can be had for less then 600 buck so if i blow mine i already have a spare. as far as the lack of atleast scaning the cel code or clearing it occasionally to make sure it wasent serious which in the case it must have been to put the car in limp mode with a 4500 rpm limit. well glad u got the car runing and i say screw everyone if you enjoy going fast and driveing hard do it enjoy it learn from your mistakes and learn that things happen try to be prepared.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by cdp1279
I have to agree with this guy you guys are eating him alive. look i can understand how he could think that the Tc can take a beating ive owned many hondas and they are very hard to kill yeah trannys make grind eventually but it keeps going. my initial though was when he went to downshif he went into the wrong gear and manually over reved the engine. i drive hard on the street or hwy at time with out a doubt on the track be it drag or auto-x i managed to put 27 passes on my crx in one day at a local track. ship happens and there is one think i have learned about the tc a engine is not that expensive just look around they can be had for less then 600 buck so if i blow mine i already have a spare. as far as the lack of atleast scaning the cel code or clearing it occasionally to make sure it wasent serious which in the case it must have been to put the car in limp mode with a 4500 rpm limit. well glad u got the car runing and i say screw everyone if you enjoy going fast and driveing hard do it enjoy it learn from your mistakes and learn that things happen try to be prepared.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone could possibly do this without noticing it before it goes into gear. You need to really force the shifter in position to shift into the wrong gear.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cdp1279
I have to agree with this guy you guys are eating him alive.
Perhaps you missed the part where he drove around with a CEL, never bothered to check the work of shops he knew weren't doing a great job, and he thought of committing insurance fraud = 100% brought on himself.

I generally don't like bashing people, but this stupidity of the highest order. As long as he uses this forum as crowbar to get his foot deeper into his mouth, people are going to rip on him.

Quick Reply: My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate