Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My experience with the TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) in a 2007tc

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My experience with the TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) in a 2007tc

So I installed the TRD CAI a couple weeks ago, and have since driven the car around a lot, including going to vegas, etc.

All I was exptecting from the intake was for the engine sound to change a little, and sound a little meaner.

The install went pretty smoothly, the only pain in the ___ was having to jack up the car and take off the splash guard to i could mount the end of the intake/filter to the wheel well ground wire bolt area. Also maneuvering around my strut tower brace was a pain... during the install, most of the stuff you are working with is blocked by the strut tower brace (if you have one), so you have to work around it a lot.

the instructions that came with the intake were very detailed, and i was never 2nd-guessing myself thanks to this level of detail. because i ran into a few snags with my tools, the install took me almost 6 hours, but i am total rookie when it comes to this stuff, and i really took my time with it. Plus, since i have the strut tower brace, it took me a while to figure out how to take off my engine cover without breaking it, or taking off my strut tower brace. The brace also got in the way of a lot of other stuff, and helped contribute to why it took so long, but it's not impossible, just took longer.

Anyway, when everything was said and done, i started driving. the difference i felt was immediate. Yes, it did sound a lot nicer. not too loud at all, in fact, it was quieter than i expected. The biggest suprise though was how the engine responded. It revs so much smoother now, and feels more powerful. it basically feels like handcuffs have been taken off the engine.

It didnt' add 100 hp or anything, but it feels like a good 10 or 15, (i know it didnt add that much, but it just feels like it) because the engine runs so much more smoothly, and doesnt feel like its choking when i rev it up.

Passing power on the freeway has definitely increased. It really feels like the intake has made a big difference. But like i said, it is mostly in the smoothness of how the engine revs up. It feels like the engine is working a lot less hard, and therefore this flows into a lot of things... smoother shifting, smoother accelleration, more perceived power, etc.

Anyway, i couldnt be happier. To me, its definitely worth it, and has made my car perform a lot more how i would expect it would. Before, the engine felt like it was choking. Hard to explain, but if you drive your car hard, you will see what i mean after you install the CAI.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

BUTT DYNO FTW!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that was the most detailed story about the CAI and user, good for you!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I know what you mean by the stock intake felt choked.......I put a SRI on and it now revs up much easier and i get to redline with it floored now before shifts where before it laged and shifted at around 5000........Butt dyno does feel like a lot more ponies too..........even though it is about 2-3 at best.......and much bertter looking than that plastic juice box they put in stock.........
Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes... a lot of fooled butt dynos in here it seems

And if you think you can feel 2-3 ponies in your butt... you should go get paid to take the place of a dynojet.. you are at least as accurate as on of those are

but glad you like your intake either way I guess.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I know what you mean by the stock intake felt choked.......I put a SRI on and it now revs up much easier and i get to redline with it floored now before shifts where before it laged and shifted at around 5000........Butt dyno does feel like a lot more ponies too..........even though it is about 2-3 at best.......and much bertter looking than that plastic juice box they put in stock.........

Exactly! the feel is so much better... im glad somebody else has had a similar experience.

And yes, it looks WAY sweeter in the engine compartment. NO more plastic!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i actually like the black juice box, especially when the whole engine bay is black( black strut bar, doc's radiator plate ect ect), makes the blower stand out more!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep, I have had the tC with and without a CAI.. looked nice, sounded ok.. made absolutely no difference in power (better told when you take it back off ) and broke a bracket in no time Of course I knew up front not to expect a performance increase.

But there is nothing wrong with having one for looks and sound either. Just not worth the moola to me.. mine was virtually free :D