Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

my review of alphawerks header

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my review of alphawerks header

Before i begin, yes i am sponsored by alphawerks.

Now my review of the header and o2 sim:

Header first: Very nice looking overall no rough spots or anything of that sort. its stainless so thats a plus. very clean over all look. sounds Great no rasp. it should be noted however i have stock exhaust and k & n CAI. The power is noticable as i can chirp third now and it just seems like a much more level power curve for some reason. One erk i did have. the brackets by the s-pipe did not line up but with the 2 spring bolts the header or exhaust dont move a thread anyway so it is irelevent in my book. Great product overall and definatly worth the cash.

o2 sim: Pretty simple and straitforward. take off teh glovebox and wire it up as it says. the directions could be improved a hitch as this was my first time doing a header or sim install. i was a little nervous about operating on my baby, but it all worked out and shes recovering fine.

in a closing note; top notch product, no cel w/ sim ever, stainless so it looks spiffy, nice power boost, no rust (dc headers eh hem), beefy flanges so stop reading this and if your debating on dc, megan, or alpha it should be a no brainer unless you want mountains of problems. after all you get what you pay for
Old 05-28-2005, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, but damn there is no way in hell those bracket holes would ever line up on my car without all the messin around my dad and I did. On the right side, we ended up putting a longer bolt, a spacer, 4 washers, and some extra drilling on the exhaust bracket before it would even begin to work. It makes for a very curious looking sandwich of metal but it works and thats what counts. The left side only needed a little nudge.

I can attest to the sound of the Alphaworks + TRD setup now, to me it sounds exactly like the eclipse in the first fast and the furious movie, but this is only after 10mins of idle and a few revs. I like it, its slightly louder than before and the exhaust note is only altered above 3.5k rpms. After I get the o2 sim in tommorow il try and find something to get a decent sound clip with.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mr_lore
I can attest to the sound of the Alphaworks + TRD setup now, to me it sounds exactly like the eclipse in the first fast and the furious movie, but this is only after 10mins of idle and a few revs. I like it, its slightly louder than before and the exhaust note is only altered above 3.5k rpms. After I get the o2 sim in tommorow il try and find something to get a decent sound clip with.
Your a brave man... No one has posted a sound/videoclip of an Alphaworks header with a TRD Exhaust before.

We have been waiting for you...
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am getting my catback installed on weds. next week i will post clips when finished
Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in for the sound clips as well, lol.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

*starts a stomping chant*

SOUND CLIPS.... VIDEO CLIPS.... SOUND CLIPS.... VIDEO CLIPS.... SOUND CLIPS....

The best advertising supporting a sponsorship over the internet we can get is video/audio and accurate, proveable, numbers.... ESPECIALLY with the TRD exhaust....
Old 05-28-2005, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, I guess this means I have to deliver now. Now where does my dad keep that video camera... (I cant find anything in this house now that I'm back from school).

I promise I'll have something for u guys by tonite (saturday) even if i have to use my cellphone or something. Its been a wild friday nite, time for a lil sleep.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have alpha werks with trd exhaust if anyone in sf wants to meet up and record it. but it really sounds like poop 3k and up
Old 05-28-2005, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: my review of alphawerks header

Originally Posted by VoLktc
Before i begin, yes i am sponsored by alphawerks.

Now my review of the header and o2 sim:

Header first: Very nice looking overall no rough spots or anything of that sort. its stainless so thats a plus. very clean over all look. sounds Great no rasp. it should be noted however i have stock exhaust and k & n CAI. The power is noticable as i can chirp third now and it just seems like a much more level power curve for some reason. One erk i did have. the brackets by the s-pipe did not line up but with the 2 spring bolts the header or exhaust dont move a thread anyway so it is irelevent in my book. Great product overall and definatly worth the cash.

o2 sim: Pretty simple and straitforward. take off teh glovebox and wire it up as it says. the directions could be improved a hitch as this was my first time doing a header or sim install. i was a little nervous about operating on my baby, but it all worked out and shes recovering fine.

in a closing note; top notch product, no cel w/ sim ever, stainless so it looks spiffy, nice power boost, no rust (dc headers eh hem), beefy flanges so stop reading this and if your debating on dc, megan, or alpha it should be a no brainer unless you want mountains of problems. after all you get what you pay for
- How does it sound, i am interested to purchase them and put them on, but if it sounds raspy after 3.5k rpm then im gonna steer away from them. I have the trd exhaust right now, so i am hoping that it works well with it.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its sounds wonderful there is NO RASPY SOUNDS none. a very well engineered and built product. great buy IMHO
Old 05-28-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Delivered as promised: movie of the mythical TRD + Alphaworks setup.

http://s91405857.onlinehome.us/blogp..._TRD_small.wmv

That host should last, not sure how long though.

Stats:
TRD Exhaust
Alphaworks header
K&N CAI
New header gasket AND s-pipe gasket used at time of install (i get parts at cost)
1080 miles on car
~40 miles on header
clip inside is with driver side door open
o2 sim installed, no CEL yet

I've changed my mind now that Ive heard my own car from outside it doesnt please me above 4k, I'm hoping the ZPI or draxas s-pipe I'm planning on will fix it.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.hooklinesinker.org/tc/Alp..._TRD_small.wmv

mirrored for ya

you should definitely take that catback off, add a resonator (36" universal "glasspack") and put it back. that would get rid of the rasp
Old 05-29-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the mirror dude, I need to investigate your glass pack idea b/c I dont like the bumble bee effect im getting. The header looks great tho, love it.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

np.

just pick up a cheap glasspack from summit or jegs and have a welder put it in the middle. match piping diameter and make sure its center-center inlet-outlet and it'll get rid of the high pitched tones
Old 05-29-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more good reviews on the alphas
Old 05-29-2005, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mr_lore
I agree, but damn there is no way in hell those bracket holes would ever line up on my car without all the messin around my dad and I did. On the right side, we ended up putting a longer bolt, a spacer, 4 washers, and some extra drilling on the exhaust bracket before it would even begin to work. It makes for a very curious looking sandwich of metal but it works and thats what counts. The left side only needed a little nudge.
I got mine to line up without spacers/washers. You just have to loosen the stock brackets and move them in a little, once you tighten the nut and bolt they sit flush. I'll see if I can get a pic of mine.