Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

naturally aspirated horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default naturally aspirated horsepower gains

sooo many questions...

1) i thought the base hp of the scion tC was 160? but i see people saying..130 O.o im confused on that

2) im about to buy an exhaust, i want a catback cause itll prove a better horsepower gain, but ill take a axel back, but i wanna know how much the hks axelback will give. ive seen the ark cat back and it gave almost 18 hp, im interested in it...but i want it in the price range of the hks exhaust, suggestions anyone?

if ur going to make a suggestion of a brand, state the horsepower gains please. and sound, eh, anyone ever watch the best motoring international videos? i want a sound like the exhausts they use on the circuits.

also, if anyone has seen the ark catback for like 300-400$ range, tell me whereeee pleaseeeeeeeeeee

and also, i was wondering, whats the price range for the installation of exhausts?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tC is 161bhp(at the crank) its 139whp stock if your a m/t 123whp stock if your an a/t.

to get the best hp you need to do full exhaust. spipe/cat back. the spipe is the most restrictive part of the tC.

there is a thread that compares axle backs and with dyno #s will dig it up for you and post it. HKS is really popular sounds quite nice.

as far as your ark cat back never herd of it so cant help you.

instal ranage will depend on where you go if you know somone with some jack stands and a good jack you can do a bolt on one for free.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default former gto owner wants scion to be faster.

i have an 07 tc with the factory trd catback. im looking into this s pipe and it sounds like its the equivelant to a downpipe for a turbo. i looked it up on google and it was under turbo accessories. can i install the s pipe with out having a turbo>? help is appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All axel backs will give you about 2-4whp.
catbacks will give you about 6-10whp.
S-pipes will give 5-7whp.
Headers will give about 8whp.

An axel back will really give nothing except change the sound of your system, mainly making it louder, and sometimes deeper, depending on brand.

Catbacks are most expensive, but will replace the midpipe (which has a resinator, and 2nd Cat), and the muffler (which is also restictive based on design).

Draxas, and ARK both make very nice catbacks. Price I don't know, 600+ range I believe.

If you get a header, you exhaust wil become illegal under federal laws because u removed the 1st Cat. + you exhaust will have a rasp sound to it.

If you want the most hp, look up Monster Motor Works 4-2-1 Header w/ s pipe and the Draxas exhaust system. That is, if price is not an option. that will cost you well over a grand if not more. but at least then you will get a nice sound, a quality exhaust, and no need for any cutting or welding in extra resinators to prevent rasp.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: former gto owner wants scion to be faster.

Originally Posted by TRDiver
i have an 07 tc with the factory trd catback. im looking into this s pipe and it sounds like its the equivelant to a downpipe for a turbo. i looked it up on google and it was under turbo accessories. can i install the s pipe with out having a turbo>? help is appreciated. thanks guys.
Your TRD is an axle-back, not a cat-back. The s-pipe is not a turbo accessory, no- it connects the end of the header to the beginning of the midpipe. Here's the complete exhaust path:

Combustion (cylinder) -> Header -> S-pipe -> Midpipe -> Axle-back muffler / exhaust (TRD in our case)

A larger s-pipe wouldn't really be too beneficial if you're only running the axle-back, since the S-pipe would still be restricted on both sides (header, midpipe).
Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Listen to everyone in this thread, ppl are giving you good info. And to answer your 130 hp question, it's because that's how much power is actually delivered to the wheels. whp = wheel horse power.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ritz

An axel back will really give nothing except change the sound of your system, mainly making it louder, and sometimes deeper, depending on brand.

Catbacks are most expensive, but will replace the midpipe (which has a resinator, and 2nd Cat), and the muffler (which is also restictive based on design).

Draxas, and ARK both make very nice catbacks. Price I don't know, 600+ range I believe.

If you get a header, you exhaust wil become illegal under federal laws because u removed the 1st Cat. + you exhaust will have a rasp sound to it.

If you want the most hp, look up Monster Motor Works 4-2-1 Header w/ s pipe and the Draxas exhaust system. That is, if price is not an option. that will cost you well over a grand if not more. but at least then you will get a nice sound, a quality exhaust, and no need for any cutting or welding in extra resinators to prevent rasp.
the illegal statment does not apply to us here in texas as along as we have the primary cat in the exhuast you will be fine. you have a huge amount of resources in the scion community because you are in dallas. they are extremlly helpful up there and will bend over backwards for you hit up the lone star forum and you can get all the help you need for install
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: former gto owner wants scion to be faster.

Originally Posted by Magnus213
Originally Posted by TRDiver
Your TRD is an axle-back, not a cat-back. The s-pipe is not a turbo accessory, no- it connects the end of the header to the beginning of the midpipe. Here's the complete exhaust path:

Combustion (cylinder) -> Header -> S-pipe -> Midpipe -> Axle-back muffler / exhaust (TRD in our case)

A larger s-pipe wouldn't really be too beneficial if you're only running the axle-back, since the S-pipe would still be restricted on both sides (header, midpipe).
you are correct to an extent the spipe has shown huge gains by being replaced but the most is seen if you do a header/spipe/midpipe/axle back exhuast setup you can gain almost 30whp. but you can also do header/spipe/catback and still gain a good 20-25whp.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
the illegal statment does not apply to us here in texas as along as we have the primary cat in the exhuast you will be fine. you have a huge amount of resources in the scion community because you are in dallas. they are extremlly helpful up there and will bend over backwards for you hit up the lone star forum and you can get all the help you need for install
The cat on the midpipe is not the primary cat...it's the secondary, which is why no o2 sensor is connected to it. The o2 sensor is always connected to the primary cat, which is located on the header for the tC.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

the ARK setup includes header and intake in that horsepower number...appears to be a good exhaust system though for the money...i'm still waitin to see someone with it
Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't there a header for our car that is $600 but gives 24whp? I forgot which brand name.. Don't quote me on this though, i think i heard it somewhere..
Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here I dug this up to give you an idea of what i/h/e can do for you. all cars are different though.

http://www.dynoperformance.com/dyno_...=1019&model=tc
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkTC

Isn't there a header for our car that is $600 but gives 24whp? I forgot which brand name.. Don't quote me on this though, i think i heard it somewhere..
your thinking of the Monster Motor Works Header.. its a little more, about 800
4-2-1 header.
The Dyno was taken with the MMW header, MMW Intake, and MMW S-Pipe Installed. I'm pretty sure the dyno was around 12whp with just the header
Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brian
The cat on the midpipe is not the primary cat...it's the secondary, which is why no o2 sensor is connected to it. The o2 sensor is always connected to the primary cat, which is located on the header for the tC.
^^ Exactly

And its a Federal Offense to remove any working emissions equipment thanks to the EPA, including your pre-cat on the header
Old 08-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

well i had no problem yesterday staying neck to neck with a WRX, and a turbo ep civic SI at the drag races
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone know how much the hp tanabe concept g gives? and i think its catback
Old 08-29-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

it shouldn't give much.. only about 2 or 3 hp. its an axel back
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats a good cheap catbck
Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i have megan drift spec...but i bet its hard to find now
Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really want the top fuel zero - 1000 catback system...

http://www.hopupracing.com/topfuzeexsct.html

how much is it to install catbacks?

Quick Reply: naturally aspirated horsepower gains