Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: What is the status of your Competition Clutch?
I own a CC clutch and it hasn't failed.
17.02%
I owned a CC Clutch and it failed.
25.53%
I do not own a CC Clutch.
57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Need a Clutch Recommendation? NOT COMPETITION CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
snip
Pete,

I understand your frustration. That sounds like a ____ storm of issues. I feel for you really I do, I work on cars for a living. I know how it goes and I know that sometimes manufacturers are not as reputable as the masses make them seem. Any and all information given to you from me, was what was directly told to me from CC. I cannot speak for paul and I won't. I can and will only go on the information that is passed on to me from my rep. I didn't design the clutch, nor did I manufacture it. Yes we are the middle men, and as middle men we did everything we could do to aid in you getting taken care of. I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with CC and I'm sorry if that leads you to have a bad taste in your mouth with us. I'm sorry you ended up with wasted money and wasted time and most of all wasted patience.

I guess between all of this we have all learned that CC sucks and that's the end of it. If it were up to me I would remove their parts from the website and ____ on them because I don't believe in selling something that is faulty or going to give someone problems down the road.

I wish that the performance community would understand that it costs good money to go fast reliably. It's unfortunate that the majority does not, I'm not speaking about anyone on here, our customer base consists of many forums. Either way, life lessons learned.

Again Pete, I'm really sorry for your problems.

Last edited by Jon; 07-20-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pete,

Do you have a stainless steel clutch hose or stock hose?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Pete,
Any and all information given to you from me, was what was directly told to me from CC. I cannot speak for paul and I won't. I can and will only go on the information that is passed on to me from my rep. I didn't design the clutch, nor did I manufacture it. Yes we are the middle men, and as middle men we did everything we could do to aid in you getting taken care of.
Don & Pete,

Don, you are right for not speaking on my behalf. I do not want anyone doing so. I will speak my side right here for all to view.

Pete, the information that I relayed to you was from our rep at CC, whom no longer works there AND from the owner of the company. Am I to doubt their word? After all, they work for and own the company, I do not. So, the information that I received was poor, therefore your communication received was poor. If they provided me with that information, how was I supposed to know otherwise? With this being said, I suppose it's a case of garbage in, garbage out. I am sorry Pete and there is nothing I can do to change the harm CC has done with their products to you. I have the original email(s) correspondence with some of the people there when I was handling the replacement for you. I kind of had a feeling this may have been coming back to haunt me, and I was correct. So luckily, here are snippets....

This is from Pete's original correspondence to me

- premature pressure plate fade (loosing its strength way to soon into the clutches life)
- blown springs from the disc
- TB chatter that is almost null and to hard to fix
- idle chatter or chatter after a brisk run that only stop when pressing down on the clutch and letting go again
- inconsistent clutch perfomance (some day grabbing well and feeling like a stg4 other days slipping in gears and feeling softer then an oem one grabbing)
- constant pedal adjustments to compensate for the clutch engagement performance

Response from our rep, whom no longer works there...

"I currently have the best part available on the market for Scion tC’s. Our materials are just as if you would find anywhere else and our build materials are better than most everyone on the market. I would require pictures of the clutch sent to *****@competitiontclutch.com and we will make a decision as far as warranty or not from there."

I then spoke to both of them and the owner on the phone whom spoke about a new shipment coming with a re-designed plate, disc and a new bearing....As a matter of fact, the original bearing they used had fitment issues on about 5/10 cars. Jeff in LA was one of the first to experience this back in 2007. Then I went up the food the chain for Pete to get the unit warrantied to the owner. He did not want to warranty it. He wanted to charge Pete about half of the cost of the unit, I refused to do so, played hard ball and got it done for Pete. Here are snippets of the emails tracked back and forth...

From the owner at CC

"Sell him a new kit at -50%"

My response

"Can it be replaced for free under warranty?.....Have I asked for anything like this in the past 2-3 years of business? Of course not! This is a unique circumstance with a good customer...I would not have even asked about it if I did not feel good about it. Especially with the circumstances.

I spoke to the customer, however the old one back first is not going to happen as it's his DD. He said it may be a week or 2 before the old one gets back to you due to his work schedule. Is this acceptable?"

About 2 days later, your warranty was fulfilled from a company whom did not want to service you at all and/or charge you 50% off the retail for a replacement. They wanted to turn their backs on you and say you where smoking crack. I stepped up to the plate for you as a valued customer (mind you and others, this was Pete's first and only purchase from us; it was not like he had spend $1000s with us. To be exact Pete, you order was $738.50, and not any more) and I went to bat for him. The same I would do for ANY of our customers and this is the thanks I get for it. Bashed time and time again.

I am not looking for sympathy from anyone. I am not looking for anything but understanding from Pete and only you Pete. We where not the villains at all in this equation. I am not sure what you THINK happened, but this is EXACTLY what happened behind the scenes. It was not your knowledge or anyone elses to know any bit of what transcribed, but this has gone too far for too long. So this is all of the dirt on the table.

Edit: Shipping on your order was $27.52 FYI

Last edited by paul_dezod; 07-21-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a Mechanic, Reliability Analyst, and Data Manager for a major airline I see this type of BS from manufacturers and repair stations all the time. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off their backs and even when you present documented evidence of an issue they try to shift the blame or say its an isolated issue.

I had already intended to buy an ACT clutch when the time came, but thanks to Pete and all of the other members who have taken the time to share pictures and details of the failures, I will not be going near a Comp Clutch product.

With respect to Dezod, I can find no fault in their actions, especially now that I've seen the correspondence between them and CC. I'm also glad to hear that they have removed the option to purchase CC products until there is good reason to believe the issues have been corrected.

I have had nothing but issues with my tC, and Toyota has fought me on every issue. I have never seen a car company work so hard not to stand behind their warranty, especially a Toyota Platnum 110K mile warranty which I purchased after my Transaxle failed. I've actually given up on getting many of the issues resolved and I've made the decision to just take care of them myself. Maybe that was their goal, frustrate you until you fix it yourself.

Anyway even after all the sh*t I've been through, seeing the pictures of these failures makes me thankful that none of my parts failed in a catastrophic manor. I just hope that those of you that have had failures will be able to get a refund or at least some money back from CC.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Also, if fighting for Peter to get a replacement for free is a crime, we are guilty. Consequently, Peter has been offered the opportunity to get a clutch from another manufacturer, but it's his choice on what he wants to do.

I go to bat for my customers ALWAYS. I have and always will. It disgusts me to see us get crucified for going an extra mile to HELP a customer and then to get slammed for it. Actually, it's discouraging and quite frankly ridiculous.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Quite frankly this was not the idea of this thread. It was to discuss the problems with Competition Clutch after their "alleged" fix. This was not to condemn any reseller as they do not make the clutch or any of the clutch components.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Quite frankly this was not the idea of this thread. It was to discuss the problems with Competition Clutch after their "alleged" fix. This was not to condemn any reseller as they do not make the clutch or any of the clutch components.
I concur, however Pete feels we are at fault and I am not sure why. Read his sig!

Next his Energy mounts we sold him will crack or something then we will get blamed for that too.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am leaving today to costa rica in a few moments and just got wind of these last few posts by Don and Pual so i will try my best to address them before i leave in a few more minutes before i board the plane. if not it will have to wait 9 days from now until i get back. So please refrain from making any more posts on this subject until i am able to address the last 2/3 posts.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I am leaving today to costa rica in a few moments
Lucky! I hear it's beautiful.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Pete,

Do you have a stainless steel clutch hose or stock hose?
yes i have a stainless steel clutch line... why Don?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a cm stage. Lasted 1000 miles then the hub stripped so now I'm usingthe cm stage 5 pp and act disc it is a awesome combo grabs consistent and even after it was broke in no idea what it will hold but holding what I got fine the build quality on the act is way ahead of cc and cm the hub is a lot more solid looking almost looks to strong. Was told by cm that the hub on a stage 5 is made to be weak but its a drag clutch a few launches from a dig on street tires put it down. I would recommend act all day

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i have a stainless steel clutch line... why Don?
Research for myself. I'm trying to rule out hydraulic issues and possible causes of chatter. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The real truth of the matter is that there isn't a clutch made by a single company, with the exception of Exedy, that hasn't had springs pop out of the plate. Spec, CM, CC, they all fall into the same category for me. ACT is a good clutch brand, sometimes too heavy on the pressure plates but otherwise not horrible. I have seen clutch springs pop from these but it's rare. Exedy is the only clutch I have ever seen that did not have this issue. Daikin/Exedy make most clutches for the OEM manufacturers so their products have to stand up.

I would recommend the stage 2 or the twin disc. There really is no in between.

So if you think you're gonna start making some serious power and don't want clutch hassles then it sounds like you're gonna have to pony up a good amount for a twin disc and just call it a day.

http://www.dezod.com/pd-exedy-twin-d...-kit-tc-05.cfm

(pete obv this has nothing to do with you you weren't making a ton of power, the clutch was just crappy.)
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09TC5M

With respect to Dezod, I can find no fault in their actions, especially now that I've seen the correspondence between them and CC. I'm also glad to hear that they have removed the option to purchase CC products until there is good reason to believe the issues have been corrected.
FYI,
Some denote us as a higher priced retailer. Some of the reasons behind this are the following, and not limited to:

We are a real brick & mortar setup with a staff, numerous phone lines and lots of stuff including equipment etc. Our prices must cover these expensives to service our clients.

We are also a direct dealer of several product lines such as AEM, DC Sports, Tein, GReddy, StopTech, Progress etc. With being direct, many of these manufacturers require a minimum advertised pricing bracket, which we must follow, or we can lose our account with that company. The non-direct dealers can sell at $10 over cost and not worry about reprocussions.

Also, for the outstanding service, many of your know us by, we have 2 people (myself and Don) here 5 days a week, 8 hours/day answering your phone calls, emails, PMs, tech calls in a timely fashion. It's no coincidence that we answer most emails within hours of receiving them. It's because we have a full time customer service force working for you. This is also what you are paying for. A lot of our competitors operate out of their mom's basement, or their living room on the side as a secondary job to their primary source of income. THIS is OUR full time job.

Warrantys are also only serviceable through an authorized dealer, such as us. So, rest assured that if you have an issue, we take care of it. GL with other companies.

Lastly, we service this comunity, day and night, 7 days a week and have been making it breakfast since 2006! We are here, and have shared countless hours of technical expertise and knowledge base that no other Scion related company has. So, be that as it may, you are also paying for that as well.

So there is a lot of VALUE, with your dollars spent here. There is a reason why we are still here, still saught after, still in business AND have been serving the high performance aftermarket since 2002.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well put
Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Am i glad i'm using ACT clutch.. so far it has been wonderful but i can't really say anithyng much since it's only got about 500 miles on it total including 30+ miles on the dyno braking in the engine and tuning. All i can say is it's taken some abuse right out of the box and so far i'm happy. Pedal feels a little hard, althought i'm used to it already but i think it can be adjusted if i wanted to do so.
On the advise of guys from dezod i paired it up with competition 12lbs flywheel so it will be more comfortable to drive in the city traffic instead of 9lbs flywheel.

As a side question there is NO problems with competition flywheels right ? (if the have a problem with just a plate and bunch of holes in there they should get out of this business)

I know that sooner or later my clutch will die, maybe it will happen in 2 years maybe in 1 or maybe in 3, but when it does i will say hello to Exedy twin-clutch and call it a day. One thing about Exedy (or whoever is #1 on the market at the time) twin clutch is i've read that for our cars they actually do have some kind of issue (rattling or something like that).
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
Am i glad i'm using ACT clutch.. so far it has been wonderful but i can't really say anithyng much since it's only got about 500 miles on it total including 30+ miles on the dyno braking in the engine and tuning. All i can say is it's taken some abuse right out of the box and so far i'm happy. Pedal feels a little hard, althought i'm used to it already but i think it can be adjusted if i wanted to do so.
On the advise of guys from dezod i paired it up with competition 12lbs flywheel so it will be more comfortable to drive in the city traffic instead of 9lbs flywheel.

As a side question there is NO problems with competition flywheels right ? (if the have a problem with just a plate and bunch of holes in there they should get out of this business)

I know that sooner or later my clutch will die, maybe it will happen in 2 years maybe in 1 or maybe in 3, but when it does i will say hello to Exedy twin-clutch and call it a day. One thing about Exedy (or whoever is #1 on the market at the time) twin clutch is i've read that for our cars they actually do have some kind of issue (rattling or something like that).
The CC flywheel is good, it's a chunk of steel that is machined. It's kind of fool proof so long as it was machined correctly and these things get CNC machined so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for a twin disc, no matter who makes it, they all rattle, it's part of the design. It's a good rattle
Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i have the CM fx700 twin disk.. and n it's sexy.. that is all ty
Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

CC CLUTCHES SUCK!!!! mine just blew leaving best buy. Good thing I just ordered my new EXCEDY clutch