Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need a little bit of convincing...UPDATE 2/16/09

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
SL Member

Default Need a little bit of convincing...UPDATE 2/16/09

UPDATE: 2-16-09 Installed the exhaust today. Just like some of the other reviews said, a hacksaw was required. I first took a 1 inch section off the pipe coming out of the muffler. This centered the tip with the setup hanging freely but since I didn't want it to move around, I took another 3/4 inch section off that same pipe to put the rubber hangers under a small amount of tension to keep it in place. After all I would rather replace rubber hangers once in a while than have it rattling and banging around. I will try to get some pics and maybe a video up later today (really needs to be broken in a bit first though). I also ended up using the clamps for now and I will probably have it welded at a later point. To make sure I got the clamps on tight enough I used a paint pen to put vertical and horizontal lines at the connections. I then went out of a drive...residential....commercial....highway...and some of the worse roads in the area(potholes galore). Afterward I noticed no movement of the pipes but I do have a slight rattle under partial throttle on the rear suspension cross member. Should be an easy fix. with the way I mounted there is just only 1/4" of clearance there but I had to get it away from the ring thing under there.

UPDATE: 2-13-08 Ordered and received the trubendz exhaust. I will get installed pics and video once I go buy some tools to install it. My entire tool chest is 200 miles away at my parents house.

I have done my research and religiously watched videos for all the exhausts out there and I still can't make up my mind. I want tone and increased volume but not loud(which is kinda hard to determine in videos). I want something with a slight rumble while normal driving, yet screams under hard acceleration(once again not crazy loud though). I am considering getting a header and s-pipe and custom mid at the same time and I don't want to break the bank. So with that being said...

Currently some I enjoy:

Trubendz ebay exhaust with magnaflow:
Pros: love the sound and tone with stock exhaust manifold, love the price
Cons: mild steel unless I wanna pay a lot, self assembly on joints(not a big deal just annoying when the pipes dont wanna slide together)

Precision Muffler Axleback:
Pros: great tone with good looks
Cons: crimped piping(I know its not that big of a deal, its more esthetic for me)

Tsudo N1
Pros: cheap so I wouldn't feel bad about modding it if i feel it needs a small muffler in the midpipe or something.
Cons: Not wild about canister mufflers. Seems like it may be loud with a "ricey" sound

NOTE: mostly considering this non oe style exhaust purely from a price standpoint. I am open to the idea of canister mufflers but I come from a muscle car background and I am not super fond of them

Strup Axleback
Pros: looks great, sounds great, and not too expensive
Cons: I am just not totally sold on it

I'm looking for opinions mostly from people that have one of these or have experience with many exhausts. Also looking for opinions of sound level of Tsudo from people that don't like everybody to hear them coming. oh and lastly, I don't really like the HKS, go ahead and suggest it, but I wont buy it lol
Old 02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
SL Member

lol...and in case whoever has the white tc that just drove down main street in royal oak(by 13) is on here....that is what I consider stupid loud.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bennyboopy
lol...and in case whoever has the white tc that just drove down main street in royal oak(by 13) is on here....that is what I consider stupid loud.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
SL Member

lol...well I was sitting in the kitchen reading the paper and one side of our house is on main street (not busy but a decent amount of traffic) and I just heard this loud obnoxious exhaust, kinda raspy and I'm just like....its that damn sentra down the street again. Then I look up out the window and see its a tc....I cried a little bit inside
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ and for some reason you always get these lame tC owners who like to show off their rasp.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rasp=speed. duh.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look into a greddy. i've heard they aren't as loud as others, like hks, megan, skunk2. not really sure if you're looking for a catback or just an axleback though.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your best bet is to just get the one that you want. Like you said you've done your research so just go out and buy one, if you dont like it sell it and get another. No one else can tell you how their exhaust sounds because only you know2 what you want yours to sound like. Im running injen cai, weapon r 4-2-1 + spipe, custom mid with 30in res, and tanabe g. i think my car is too loud, absolutely no rasp but still generally louder than the actual HP that i have lol.

so i say just buy it and try it.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ agree.. i got an injen intake w megan midpipe and megan oe-rs.. its quiet yet u can tell its not stock.. and when u step on it its pretty loud... mostly cuz the midpipe made it alot louder.. it fits my taste good u might enjoy it, but i strongly encourage a midpipe... the whole exhaust setup ran me about 330$
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 AM
SL Member

oooo I forgot about the OE-RS...have to search for deals on those. I just found a few reviews of the strup that says it sounds good at full throttle and crusing but ricey under normal acceleration. BOOOOOO
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 AM
SL Member

Looks like I will probably be going with the Precision Mufflers Axleback with the double walled non lip tip

EDIT: Then again I can get the entire mandrel bent Trubendz system for the same price and if I don't like it with the midpipe I don't have to use it.....if only the tip was a little bigger
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

best of luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bennyboopy
if only the tip was a little bigger
If I had a nickel!

If you get the Tsudo more than likely u will have the raspy sound. Do you have headers? thats another reason people sound raspy(not to include there exhaust)
I don't kno if i would suggest an exhaust from ebay...
Top choices:
EVO
TRD
Megan
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
SL Member

Well as bad as "ebay" sounds its not a chinese exhaust or anything.

http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?pro...agetype=detail

Its just custom bent pipes with an off the shelf muffler (which could be fun because I have a few unused mufflers of random types laying around my garage). I don't know though, seems a lot less sketchy than the tsudo to me. Its like the higher quality axlebacks only with slipfit at the muffler which can easily be welded or clamped. I was thinking just get it tack welded in a few places and try it out for a bit, if I don't like it I can always swap out the muffler.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

get the cheapest unless you boost then go 3 in
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 AM
SL Member

I really don't care about a power increase at all. I want a nice slightly increased tone. I have a different car to go fast with.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i seen this one and heard it and i really like it, not too sure if it's in your price range but hey it sounds good and doesn't have that huge canister.

i failed

http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motors...el_exhaust.cfm
Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 AM
SL Member

Did you forget a link?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

get the first exhaust on your list
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
SL Member

I ordered the trubendz axleback in 304 Stainless steel with the magnaflow muffler. I'll try to get some video clips of it once it arrives.

Quick Reply: Need a little bit of convincing...UPDATE 2/16/09