Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need Scion Tc exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default Need Scion Tc exhaust help

I just installed the Megan Racing cat back and the thing is not much louder than stock! I heard theres a baffle i can remove, how do i do it? anyone know? I removed the 2 screws on the lip and tryed pulling but it didnt budge.

thanks for any help i can get!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 AM
SL Member

I got the tsudo n1 exhaust and it had one also hard to take off. I took 4 long bolts and manuvered the head of the bolts into the slits and put a board on the end of the exhaust with holes in it and put the bolts through the holes and put nuts on the other side of the board then slowly cranked on them a little at a times as to not pull one side more than the other. It eventially got to the end and I was able to pull it out. Mine was very hard to get out. I greased it and all I even tried heating with a blow torch it was rediculs. but that wound up working so you can try that. But to be honest it didnt really improve the sound. I just like the way it looks better without it in there.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you listen to any of the exhausts out there before you bought something? Maybe that one just isn't that loud period?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member

Default my exhaust

just want to say that i still need to install the midpipe and front pipe which looks like it eliminates the cat, or one of them, plus the resonator on the midpipe is alot smaller.
this should make it louder huh?

anyone have this exhaust? its the megan racing drifter exhaust.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 AM
SL Member

louder but raspier.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

this exhaust is the best sounding one in my opinion. and not much louder than stock? are you serious? mine is deep at low rpms, but loud at WOT. i love this exhaust.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey 2 much tc & fullsciontc...

I've been looking at getting the Megan Drifter cat back system and searched and researched about this system on a totally stock car. Do either of you notice any rasp at all with the cat back system? I'm trying to enhance the sound of my car using bolt on upgrades if at all possible. How was installation?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned
SL Member

when i got this exhaust installed, (muffler shop) i didn't notice any rasp and still dont. the exhaust is very WRXish, and I really like that sound. I also like the slanted exhaust look. But thats personal preference. this exhaust would def enhance your cars sound. look on youtube for some clips, see/hear for yourself.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've viewed many many videos on youtube and really like the sound of the drift spec, but what many of the people who post don't tell you is if they did any other swaps on the exhaust...header...s-pipe and the such. I was just curious on how just the cat back on a stock system would sound. And from what I've read, heard and what you tell me...this thing is gonna sound great.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming that by Megan Racing cat-back your talking about the drift spec exhaust??

If that IS the exhaust your talking about - I have it and it's LOUD AS HELL...but I took the silencer out. I also have headers...
Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by bruceg
I'm assuming that by Megan Racing cat-back your talking about the drift spec exhaust??

If that IS the exhaust your talking about - I have it and it's LOUD AS HELL...but I took the silencer out. I also have headers...
Keyword in that statement... HEADERS. Thats why it's extremely loud. I didnt have the silencer in either, but it's loud, but not header loud.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default removed the silencer

Hey all! well good news, i got the silencer removed, and it sounds ALOT better now. its almost 2times louder than stock and i still need to install the midpipe and s pipe which im going to do today friday the 17th. Im almost afraid it will be too loudnow,, although i could then reinstall the silecer and it may be just right. I dont like the look with the silencer in,, the hole is like 1'' around looks weak.

Ill keep you posted on my progresss.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

it's gonna be loud, but I'm almost certain you will like it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, i don't have a header installed yet (that's this weekend), but right now it isn't raspy at all. I hate the look and sound of the silencer.

i'll let everyone know how it sounds with a dc header next week. lol
Old 08-19-2007, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member

Default installed mid and S pipe!

I installed the mid and S pipe yesterday and wow,, love the sound now. It is loud under acceleration muchmore interior noise, but i like it.

Im now wondering if it will pass emmision tests, anyone Know or try? with the new mid and S pipe doesnt seem like theres any cats now, just a resonator on the midpipe.

Also i dont get any check engine lights but i heard that it could eventually come on and i would need to get a CEL eliminator, is this true and where could i buy one.

Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

i dont believe you will get a CEL... I believe that usually happens when you get headers. I could be wrong though. But I havent heard anyone on SL to get one with just the exhaust.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you remove the secondary cat (the one on the mid pipe) you will still pass emission (Don't know about Cali).

You will not get a CEL until you remove your primary cat which is in your exhaust manifold.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys for the info,, didnt know that was a cat on the aftermarket midpipe, i thought it was just a resonator. But yeah no cel or check engine lights, all is running well and it sounds like a WRX STI from idle to 3500 RPM!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no cat on the Megan mid-pipe, I meant the cat on the stock mid-pipe that you removed.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member

Hey menace,
so basically i have no cats on my exhaust now, or is there still one somewhere? I couldnt see one,, the stock exhaust only has 1 cat right? or was there 2?

Quick Reply: Need Scion Tc exhaust help