Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New clutch and flywheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default New clutch and flywheel installed

I got my Clutchmasters Stage III clutch (clutchmasters.com) and 8lb Fidanza flywheel (titanmotorsports.com) installed today. The difference........ just wow. A couple of things. The clutch catches really quickly. Just how I like. The engine actually is running and idling smoother it seems with the new flywheel. You wouldn't typically think it would but it does! The shifting is very smooth and the RPMs drop on clutch very quickly. Revving is great.

I could swear that on the freeway the RPMs are running lower than before - but that's my imagination I'm sure. Much like I have the DC Sport double carbon strut bar - the one that causes a knocking sound - that knocking seems to not happen anymore either. But that might be my imagination too. I am not imagining, though, that there is noticably more power available in each gear. For example, "hard acceleration" doesn't require a heavy foot anymore, and going from 70 to 80 on the freeway in 5th gear takes almost no effort.

The kevlar clutch has a 450-500 mile breakin period - so I have to drive nice for the next couple tanks of gas (e.g. no hard acceleration, no engine braking).

These drivetrain components are a great modification. It will compliment the ScionSpeed stage II kit I'm expecting soon very well.

In other news - the old clutch and flywheel were in exceptional shape after 18,000 miles - and that's with me riding it around like yo girlfriend when I know you're almost home!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

koo koo, so how much green paper did this set you back?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice! I'd like to know the same as the above poster too.. I would definiately like to upgrade my drivetrain before any power mods..

edit: i r gud spellar
Old 06-11-2005, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... congrats on a nice mod.. keep up the good work..
Old 06-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Nice... You're set for that turbo now!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

how much was the flywheel. im getting the TRD clutch installed and I might as well get the flywheel at the same time.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

For everybody that's been asking:

The flywheel I got for $379 from this page:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tita...s/sciontc.html

The clutch I got for $525 - 10% for filling out their little questionarre. It's in the Toyota section of clutches under Scion tC. Number 3, 16-082-HDTZ (FX300).

As for the installation, Archer Brothers is a local racing shop. They have a consumer-level mechanics shop (for lack of a better term) with the same grade of mechanics so they're very good. It was roughly $450 for installation.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good stuff..How does the clutch pedal feel when you press it in? I've always liked the firmer feel as opposed to the soft light feel of the stock clutch I loved my old ACT stage III clutch with lightened flywheel. Any chattering with the clutch?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats great to hear that the stock clutch is in good shape with that kind of mileage and your driving habit. i got all freaked out because this is my first stick shift
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: New clutch and flywheel installed

Originally Posted by draven301
The engine actually is running and idling smoother it seems with the new flywheel
Thats great news! I wasn't gonna get the flywheel cuz i heard that it would throw the idle off pretty bad. Have you gotten to run it on th 1/4 yet to see your gains?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No clutch chattering! It's nice and firm - I love it!

I haven't done any 1/4 anything yet - I'm waiting until after the breakin period before doing any of that stuff.

OH - I suppose I should also mention - there is no CEL problem with this flywheel. Apparently some other ones do.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see how any CEL would form from a clutch/flywheel upgrade unless something was done wrong or left unplugged. Either way, nice to hear all the good news.

Keep us updated about 1000 miles or so later and let us know if any chattering is apparent then, and if you have anything you'd suggest with it.

I had an ACT clutch on the Civic with a pro-lite flywheel and within about 2k miles it started to chatter a little but and became a little annoying. Good luck though.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm not sure how a CEL would pop up either - but I've seen it mentioned enough times I thought I'd say soemthing.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got my clutch for 380 shipped (clutchmasters stage 4 FX400), and the cluthmasters lightweight flywheel for 330 shipped. It will be getting installed for $250, is that a good deal? Also, im glad to hear that you notice a big difference as im now even more excited to install my stuff . I am also waiting on the Scionspeed Stage II. the wait is killin me tho
Old 06-11-2005, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

$250 sounds like a good deal. Make sure they're ASC certified and guarantee their work! My shop didn't have any labor numbers for the tC (surprise surprise) but Toyota says it's roughly 6 hours for a clutch job.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Simez2003 where'd you get the stage 4 clutch for $380 shipped?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok so tonight I decided to give it a *little* juice.......... WOW. Went to 5k RPMs in 1st and threw it to second and BAM it was right there picking up speed. (The acceleration has much improved.) This is going to be SO much fun.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ricer boys have a new competition to fear . I wish I owned my Tc so I could mod the hell out of it, 3 stage turbo, clutch and flywheel, suspension, wide body, brakes, the whole works. I may have to buy my car at the end of this lease so I can mod it out.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm sorry if i sound dumb. it may be a bit off topic and i dont know much about the drivetrain, but why does the stage 5 clutch cost less than the stage 4? whats the differences in the stages?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by airswipes
i'm sorry if i sound dumb. it may be a bit off topic and i dont know much about the drivetrain, but why does the stage 5 clutch cost less than the stage 4? whats the differences in the stages?
Anything higher than stage III (for Clutchmasters) is more for racing applications. The higher stages are also for higher horsepower applications.

Quick Reply: New clutch and flywheel installed