Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New clutch and flywheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Dayjob + consulting =
Old 06-21-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am having a 10lb flywheel made for our project car, did not want it to lite nor to heavy, mainly we will autocross and road course track day the car so this will work out well. Drags launches may be a drag though

Anyway, nice mods

Rick
Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
i eat sammiches for lunch, slim fast for breakfast (i'm uber skinny but they're fast/cheap), and i eat something i cook for dinner. i barely ever go out. i own the house i live in.. no mortgage...

live cheap! then your $ can go to mods LOL

of course it does help that i doubled my income in the last 4 months
Must be nice not having a mortgage! haha...

Anyways I do all of the above but do go out on the weekends....split stuff w/ the gf 50/50...I dunno. I have too much debt from college yet I guess...

Good luck to all w/ their mods and extra $$$ making....

By the way, draven01, what type of consulting to you do? I'm in the IT field and would like to do some twilight stuff after work...just wondering how you found your clients...
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130
By the way, draven01, what type of consulting to you do? I'm in the IT field and would like to do some twilight stuff after work...just wondering how you found your clients...
I got one client and the word of mouth spread like wildfire. I don't even have an online portfolio.

ABOUT CLUTCH CHATTER - it's started. I'm hearing noises under the hood that could be called clutch chatter and it's a bit concerning. I had an 83 Dodge Rampage as my first car and it would make similar noises when it was low on transmission fluid. (It was much more pronounced in the Rampage - more like a gear tooth had broken off and was hitting stuff in there). I checked the fluid and it's okay. Anybody have any technical response to this?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the fidanza is 8lbs right? does anyone know how much the clutchmasters weighs?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you use the stock/original bearing or the one included with the clutch kit?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rjj130
I'm just curious.....where do you people whom put these mods on get your money?? haha....

I'm stuck in the real world with rent/bills/bills/bills and more bills....I'm comfortable but there is no way I could just go out and drop a grand on a clutch and flywheel installed...

Just bein curious is all...

Its actually quite simple. Im only 19 years old and work in a stupid hardware store while attending school... I don't make too much money, but I manage to pay for my TC = $310 a month, insurance = $300 a month, $40 cellphone, $35 cellphone, $80-100 a month on gas and pay half of the rent with my gf of $1000, so $500 + other stupid things such as groceries. Add it up, I have to pay about $1450 a month in bills, and even with those bills I already managed to save up AND PAY for a Scionspeed stage II turbo ($3600), clutchmasters stage 4 clutch $(360), clutchmasters lightweight flywheel ($330) + Install ($250), Tein S-Techs + install ($200), 18" Axis Reverbs wrapped in Falken Azenis tires ($1850) on top of a major foot surgery which my insurance company only payed 75% of ($1400). Thats $8000 saved in approximately 9 months working only 40 hour weeks in a pathetic hardware store on top of paying bills. Remember anything is possible if you have the desire to work hard...
Old 06-28-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

After about 1000 miles - everything seems to be ok except for what feels like the whole system is a little looser. I say that because:

a) over the last 1000 miles the clutch doesn't seem to engage as quickly, either because I'm just used to it or a shift cable loosened up? (I don't know if they still use these even)
b) after 1000 miles shifting into 3rd doesn't happen quite all the time (misshifts, didn't happen before).

I wonder if it has anything to do with this - once going up a steep hill (welcome to Duluth, MN) from a stop light I was shifting into 2nd and I had accidentally revved the gas really high (5k+) and disengaged the clutch to hear a "ziiiiiiip" sound in the transmission area. Kevlar clutch - I don't know what to make of it? I hope that didn't mess something up. It drives fine and still better than with the old clutch/flywheel but because of these unanswered questions I feel like I have to pay more attention to what's going on and what I'm doing (e.g. consciously shift into 3rd to make sure I hit it) rather than just drive.... know what I mean, Vern?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't have stressed it so much as to have misshifts before you had 1000 miles on it. were you pushing it or just cruisin?

you may want to check fluids and replace with some bg synchroshift.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i wouldn't have stressed it so much as to have misshifts before you had 1000 miles on it. were you pushing it or just cruisin?

you may want to check fluids and replace with some bg synchroshift.
Duluth is built on a really steep hill - so it was one of these situations where you've got somebody stopped 2 inches behind you at a stoplight going up the hill and you don't want to roll back into him. Dumb mistake.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eek. sorry to hear. hopefully it didn't screw up the break in process but you never know unless you want to drop the trans again and check it visually for marks.

did you do the install yourself?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

eek. sorry to hear. hopefully it didn't screw up the break in process but you never know unless you want to drop the trans again and check it visually for marks.

did you do the install yourself?
Naa, I don't have the equipment to do it myself. I'm pretty sure it's a nuance that just happens with this clutch once in awhile - hasn't happened since - and things seem to be fine, except for trouble shifting into 3rd every so often.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, is the clutch chatter from the new clutch or the lightened flywheel? I was planning on the upgraded clutch but not the flywheel.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's from unusual circumstances - pushing the gas in 4th gear around 2k RPM. I presume it'd be from the clutch.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Man, waiting for ScionSpeed is like dating a nice, sexy brunette with "do me" eyes and big tizzles that won't give you any.

And in THEORY..... it'd be worth it in the end.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are huge. and her hair looks black to me. but thank you for posting that LOL
Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey Guys I just got a CC clutch and 9lb flywheel installed as well as LSD and a new master and slave cylinder for my clutch and when I let go of the gas or go into neutral/ press clutch in i dont get any noises but when im just driving and not touching any pedals I get some minimal noises. I wanna say its this so called chatter everyone is talking about but not sure. What do you guys think ? Will it go away and is it something i should be concerned about ?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...way to bring back the dead!
What stage CC clutch did you get?