Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

new to stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
SL Member

Default new to stick

whats up ppl so i just traded my auto flint mica TC(yuck) for a Manual Super White Tc(Nice) its my first manual car getting is super easy got the mechanics down but i just cannot get the flow of switching from first to second or second to third with out the car shaking i want my passengers to ride comfortable i do too lol
Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Grats on the switch. To get to smooth shifting it just takes practice, or (seriously) you can check w/ the driving schools and get a ride-along session for hands-on coacing. Not sure what the norm is there.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
SL Member

yeah i just got a week with it so far i have minimized the shake to a minimum and see these guys drive stick and looks better than an auto is just a little embarrassing to drive up the street shaking the ride like its about to brake down
Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tc was my first manual also. I had some practice previously at work but never on a street. I bought my car and had my dad drive it 40 miles home. Lots nd lots of useless driving and I picked it up really fast! Haha don't worry about stalling or anything. To this day I like zone out and stall or miss a gear every full blue moon.lmao
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
SL Member

it sounds like you are letting the clutch out too late
keep driving and praticing, you'll be fine less than a week.

should consider some shortshifter from doctor isotope!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, let me tell you it is very hard to understand this through text. It has to be taught in person if you want to learn faster. Otherwise, like the all of us.. practice practice practice.

If you are shaking still, I think you are actually dropping the clutch too fast.. YOU have to gradually let go of the clutch at the same speed you gas the pedal. The best way to describe it is imagine a balance scale. PM me if you have further questions.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea your letting out the clutch to quickly and not giving it enough gas,just takes practice really cant describe on how to do it,cause most people on here,its just come natural...on doing it,if you know where the hot spot is,then you should be good to go,
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
SL Member

everytime i shift at around 2000 to 2200 rpm i get a smooth shift but anything after that or below it is shake shake shake
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agree... maybe shift at lower rpm and release clutch softer without riding it. Have fun with the switch to stick
Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by myr6goesfast
Agree... maybe shift at lower rpm and release clutch softer without riding it. Have fun with the switch to stick
thanx im also gonna be boosting pretty soon and i know with that turbo those rpms are gonna be flying so if im having trouble now lol im in trouble with a turbo lol
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shift lower than 2200? It depends on the road. If its even path and are casually driving.. thats not too bad going from 1 2 3. Do not try to shift like videos you see of racers or movies.. it does not work that way with the stock tC if you want smooth gear changes.

Shift slower for now to grasp where the best point for the release is. As you are able to pinpoint it, incorporate quicker shifts.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadowler
Shift lower than 2200? It depends on the road. If its even path and are casually driving.. thats not too bad going from 1 2 3. Do not try to shift like videos you see of racers or movies.. it does not work that way with the stock tC if you want smooth gear changes.

Shift slower for now to grasp where the best point for the release is. As you are able to pinpoint it, incorporate quicker shifts.

lol yeah i realized i was shifting wrong wen i started that. im not in fast and the furious so im taking my time and im getting smoother gears still bumpy
Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 PM
SL Member

its getting much better as time goes but damn i did alot of research and out of everything nothing beats experiencing it even after i did the theoretical research of manual once i got behind the wheel is like i never read anything
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on a daily basis i shift about 2500 to 2800 rpms,but i noticed my car only likes to shift smooth at 3k.all depends on the condition of the road and where your at,just remeber the scion tc motor moves alot,after i got motor mounts i saw a huge difference as far as shifting smoother,but thats another thread
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Omarc306
thanx im also gonna be boosting pretty soon and i know with that turbo those rpms are gonna be flying so if im having trouble now lol im in trouble with a turbo lol

Practice makes perfect friend. Try to get a friend with experience to ride shotgun and give you pointers on when and where to shift but the more time you spend with the car the easier it will become.

About the turbo spooling and RPM. The turbo will only spool when you apply the throttle and after it reaches a certain point it starts to create positive boost in the engine. So unless you'll have the throttle at 90% all the time you don't need to worry about RPM's yet. Also the size of the turbo depends on how quickly or slowly it will start spooling and creating boost. Before you step into Forced Induction research and learn the Dynamics and Theory of Turbo's.

If you have any questions or worries stop-by the FORCED INDUCTION threads and we(other users) will be happy to assist you. Good luck
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by GUNNIST14
Practice makes perfect friend. Try to get a friend with experience to ride shotgun and give you pointers on when and where to shift but the more time you spend with the car the easier it will become.

About the turbo spooling and RPM. The turbo will only spool when you apply the throttle and after it reaches a certain point it starts to create positive boost in the engine. So unless you'll have the throttle at 90% all the time you don't need to worry about RPM's yet. Also the size of the turbo depends on how quickly or slowly it will start spooling and creating boost. Before you step into Forced Induction research and learn the Dynamics and Theory of Turbo's.

If you have any questions or worries stop-by the FORCED INDUCTION threads and we(other users) will be happy to assist you. Good luck

thanx man i will most definitely be doing that
Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats on the switch and it sounds like your getting the hang of it. just keep practicing and you'll be fine. it's a lot harder to learn stick on a drive by wire car than on a throttle cable car. i still have trouble shifting smoothly once in a while when I hop in one.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SandMPerformance
congrats on the switch and it sounds like your getting the hang of it. just keep practicing and you'll be fine. it's a lot harder to learn stick on a drive by wire car than on a throttle cable car. i still have trouble shifting smoothly once in a while when I hop in one.
for real? is the old skool accelerators that pulled a wire everytime u accelerated? how come?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SandMPerformance

yes and no with the drive-by wire thing,stock tc yea you can feel it,me personally in my tc i have instant throttle with the touch of the gas pedal with some diy here on sl and with minor upgrades...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Omarc306
for real? is the old skool accelerators that pulled a wire everytime u accelerated? how come?
because for me, timing the clutch release to throttle position is easier when I know..... btw my car is throttle cable so thats what im used to

and my06tc, i agree about modifying it to be better, but the OP has a stock (?) tC

Quick Reply: new to stick