Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NEW Yonaka Motorsports Alumunium Dual Core Radiator Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NEW Yonaka Motorsports Alumunium Dual Core Radiator Review!

Hey Scionlife! Just got the new Yonaka Aluminum Dual Core Radiator and will be doing a review on it once it gets installed. I will be posting some pictures of it out of the box and in the car. Lastly I'll have some video footage of it for everyone. The quality of this radiator is fantastic. Can't wait to get it in the car. Stay tuned for the updates! If anyone has any questions about install or quality, feel free to post or send me a message.

Here is a link to Yonaka's site with detailed information on the radiator
http://www.yonaka.com/Scion_TC_2005_..._p/ymar026.htm

Unboxing: My first impression of the radiator was one of a positive nature. I was happy to see that the radiator was packaged well with bubble wrap and foam. When I pulled it out I could immediatly tell that it was well constructed. It came polished which was important to me because a clean shiny engine is always nice. The radiator itself is extremely well built but n ot overly heavy which is nice. I liked that at the top of the radiator the Yonaka name is clearly stamped in the metal. Everything was positive, the fans are well made, and at this point cant wait to get it in the car and take some more pictures! I will update this thread as I get more pictures and video footage!

Last edited by toCa; 10-03-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice but why would you want this on your tC over stock? Does it give you more power? Does it make you get better gas mileage? Will it help you find a job?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nrgwar you actually have a question many people might ask, so here is a good explanation.

Factory radiators are designed for performance in vehicles with OEM power output and daily-driven conditions. Once you start upgrading your vehicle with aftermarket performance parts, and pushing the limits of your vehicle with strenuous activities on and off the track, the heat generated by you engine increases, therefore making the OEM radiator unable to perform the sufficient enough task as a "heat exchanger" to adequately cool your engine. The plastic end tanks attached to aluminum cores in OEM radiators are vulnerable to steam erosion and corrosion. When internal corrosion takes place, over time the radiators tubes get fully plugged from rust and sludge, deteriorating on the coolants normal cycle, resulting in overheating, yet again. Unable to perform a sufficient enough task of pulling atmospheric air through the radiator at slow speeds, factory fans that come with the OEM radiators can also be the reason for overheating. Their task just, like the thermostat, is very important: to help maintain a constant engine temperature for optimal performance of the car.

Upgrading you current OEM radiator and fan to an aftermarket branded, lightweight, high-quality aluminum radiator and fan can help you solve most heating issues in your performance vehicle, and also reduce a significant amount of weight in the engine bay. Most aftermarket radiators are designed with internal tubes that are 1 to 2 inches in diameter, compared to factory ones, which use.5 inch tubes. Large in sized, and flat in dimension, internal cooling tubes increase capacity and surface area, this results in effective heat dissipation and more efficient cooling. Fins are also an important factor in aftermarket radiators, perfectly optimized fin-density is essential to obtain maximum air travel through the radiator to aid efficient cooling. Mishimoto radiators are top of the line performance radiators that have the right balance of fins and tubes to make it an ideal cooling system for your vehicle. Mishimoto radiators are made from 100% brazed aluminum, they are very slim and therefore will easily fit in place of your OEM radiator without any modifications and are designed to increase cooling efficiency, boost engine function, and protect your performance vehicle from overheating. It is highly recommended to use Mishimoto aluminum fan shroud kit for optimal cooling performance, it will deliver that so important amount of air to the radiator and suck the excess heat from you engine.

The last factor that can increase your aftermarket radiator efficiency is diversion panel. Diversion panels are installed to cover the open area between your car bumper and the radiator, above the radiator and sometimes below. Their full purpose is utilized at freeway speed, by diverting the incoming air to pass through the radiator, instead of gathering in front of the radiator and escape to the space above and below. When the car is at lower speeds this task is performed by the fan behind the radiator. By directing the air at high speed thought the radiator, you achieve maximum radiator performance and can lower your temperatures by those important few degrees.
In my case I have been upgrading engine parts, such being adding a turbo to the car. This radiator is going to help make sure the car remains cool and continues running strong
Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Interested to see what your review has to say... been looking into upgrading from the OEM radiator.

Originally Posted by nrgwar
Nice but why would you want this on your tC over stock? Does it give you more power? Does it make you get better gas mileage? Will it help you find a job?
It will do both! (sorry it doesn't find new jobs though)
A cooler engine will improve combustion (to a point). Remember an engine is simply an air pump, the more air you can move through it the better, for power anyways. Cooler air is more dense, a cooler engine won't heat and expand the incoming air as much. No it's not turbo level performance but it is stability and longevity for the engine.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heat is an engines worst nightmare!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$10 bucks says your average coolant temps are higher.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My ECT's are fine with stock radiator, 170* thermostat, and over 400whp lol, however i dont have an ac condenser blocking airflow to the radiator
Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Copying and pasting b.s. from a company does not mean its true. 95% of the modified scion community runs a stock radiator with no problem. Unless you can provide before and after engine operating temperatures you cannot prove any aftermarket radiator does anything better. Just because an aftermarket radiator is put out there and is larger does not mean it is better. If your stock gauge was in the same position before and after install (it most likely was) then you gained NOTHING. Congrats on another mod that is not worth mentioning.

Edit: It even says in the b.s. that you copied and pasted that you should upgrade not only the radiator but the fan shroud, you have not done that. So now EVEN MORE SO you have done nothing.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will be posting temps for before and after. (Video footage)
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im with DezodDon on this one, unless you were noticing runaway temperatures or overheating on the stock radiator im not sure this is a performance enhancement in any major way. My car has seen multiple 30+ min track sessions and the stock cooling system was more than adequate. Temp was always 170-190* reading from block. Now an oil cooler is something i may look into as my oil temps were shooting up. Interested to see results however and thanks for documenting everything.

TYLER
Old 10-10-2010, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

no need to upgrade when you are not overheating, if your temp drops too much it will just hurt fuel economy and nothing on the performance side. I upgraded my cooling system coz im overheating.. i have a water cooled turbo and relocated fans that makes the oem rad not enough.. a lot of turbo tc runs very well on oem rad.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Any updates on this Toca? Just wondering hehe
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I don't wish bad on anyone but maybe the engine overheated? IDK
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

LOL! Yeah hopefully that did not happen. Yonaka seems like good people. Was just wondering what the owner thought about their installed product.

Maybe he's just having so much more fun from the +50HP he got =].
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be posting pics soon, engine work got delayed, pics coming soon!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Im intrested in seeing if there are any issues with it such as install or leaks. Look forward to the results.

If you can fit stock fans in (i read your turbocharging your car) they are by far much better than any slim fan i have seen yet, but its not always possible to use the stock fans cause of the turbo being in the way.
So far i have noticed on all the tc's iv worked on that used a larger rad is that they tend to run slightly warmer during idle (versus stock), out of all those they all had slim fans. In this instance I believe it all comes down to air flow across the radiator, less air flow=higher coolent temps. However iv seen a larger radiator out perform a stock radiator while cruising not by much though. Again it would appear its all in the air flow.
So in short id worry more about the fans than i would the size of the radiator.

what turbo did you go with? what all are you doing to the engine?