Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nitrous Oxide

im looking at this..
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...NITROUSSYSTEMS

its a wet system which i understand but the direct port part i dont i believe that nos spraying into each cylinder......any info on this?.....

i heard wet was the safest is this true?....
what would i need to do to be able to spray more than a 50 shot?...
any dangers or negative effects i should know about ?...im doing this right so it should come out to about $1,500 (bottle warmers, electronic bottle opener, safety blow down tube, etc)

is there any reason i shouldnt do this? im lookin at a 50 shot, wet, but if i want to spray more what do i have to do?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nitrous users please let me know what youve done....and what company you've done it with!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 AM

Not to be a dick but if you have to ask these types of questions you probably should not have nitrousoxide in this stage of your car life... You will only end up hurting the car, yourself or others...

That being said here is the answer to your question. Based on your question I assume you don’t know a lot about NO2 and doing in depth stuff to your car. If you don’t have experience and you don’t want to pay out the nose for someone else to do it then you don’t want a direct port system. A direct port system requires either a spacer between your intake manifold and head or drilling of your intake manifold. Either option requires the removal of the intake manifold, which on this car looks like a PITA since it’s on the backside like with most imports.

What you really want is something like this. http://www.compperformancegroupstore...NITROUSSYSTEMS

It is a wet kit that you have to tap your intake right before the throttle body. If you do go with NO2 Zex is probably the kit for you. It’s very easy to install and use... Only thing suggest getting is a window switch. This is a RPM switch that makes sure the NO2 does not come on to early in the RPM range and does not stay on at to high of a RPM.

As for the safeness of NO2 in general on a stock car, most cars with a engine worth 2 cents can handle at least a 50 shot on a stock car (as long as there is enough fuel), of coarse if your an idiot and use it every time you get on the interstate or at every red light then your going to put your engine through premature ware and destroy it...

I'm sure I've come off as a butt hole but I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont sound like an ___ i asked so i can educate myself.....you posted for dry and you said wet so i assume you mean wet... why wet instead of dry and isnt direct port safer?...would it be worth it to tap it like you you stated ^, i plan to do this right, bottle warmers and window switch and blow down tubes and all ....my question is what do i need to do to my car so it can handle more?...and arent all the things i need to applicable towards the turbo or supercharger like upgrade internals and what not?....is there anything else you think i should know...i want to learn as much as possible if im going to do this?...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i wouldnt put nitrous in my car period
Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by tC-Collin
Well that was educational... any rational there? When done right NO2 is safe and effective... I personally have never had the desire to put it on one of my cars but then again my first true tuner car was a factory turbo car...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 AM

Yah sorry this is the kit rather... http://www.compperformancegroupstore...NITROUSSYSTEMS

If you want to go simple you go Zex, if you want to go big time and fancy you go NX. For what you’re looking for I say go Zex.

In the grand scheme of things direct for 50-100 HP is not really any safer then a fogger. Once you start getting higher a good mix and even distribution to each cylinder becomes much more important which is why you go direct port.

To be honest I don’t know dick about this engine outside of the standards like compression ratio and what not so I can’t really give you an educated number on how much power it can take. From what little I have read the stock engine can handle 300hp on a turbo but you have to understand that NO2 works a little different then a turbo, it’s not progressive power there is no really curve it’s like hitting it with a 50hp hammer. Now if you go with a fancy kit like NX you can get a progressive controller but then your getting into big boy toys...

Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a guy online that sprays a 75 shot.....thats 235hp for $1,500.....$20 a 1hp.........so i know how a cars engine works whats the problem with a bigger shot if the car can handle 300hp with a turbo why not with nos ..... i'm pretty sure the only problem is fuel managment..
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump.. anyone else with some Nitrous expertise?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my experience, you'd be safe at 50 hp as long as you're not an ___ when you use it. Don't redline your car going 125 mph using nitrous...you'll blow the engine. Use it in the mid range. Any more than 50 hp, and I'd recommend getting a fuel pump, injectors, ecu, and fuel pressure regulator.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nos scares me. i don't need another explosive container in my car incase i get hit. i'm pretty sure nos is illegal for on road use in md. don't know about florida. but if it is, and you get pulled over, or say your in a car accident and the fire dept or whoever find it, they might not be cool with you carrying a bottle of explosive nos with you at all times. also, if your dealership ever sees it, i'm pretty sure that would be an immediate void of warrenty and would be blacklisted under driver abuse or modifications or something.

whatelse...if you ever played need for speed underground, the stages are 1) dry shot, 2) wet shot, and 3) direct port injection, which i would guess that the wet and direct port are more effective, but more expensive in real life.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
nos scares me. i don't need another explosive container in my car incase i get hit. i'm pretty sure nos is illegal for on road use in md. don't know about florida. but if it is, and you get pulled over, or say your in a car accident and the fire dept or whoever find it, they might not be cool with you carrying a bottle of explosive nos with you at all times. also, if your dealership ever sees it, i'm pretty sure that would be an immediate void of warrenty and would be blacklisted under driver abuse or modifications or something.

whatelse...if you ever played need for speed underground, the stages are 1) dry shot, 2) wet shot, and 3) direct port injection, which i would guess that the wet and direct port are more effective, but more expensive in real life.
When did nitrous oxide become flammable/explosive?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i know that movies aren't 100% accurate, but that eclipse had an extra boom from the nos tanks, two, if it wasn't flammable, why would your engine be using it? it is an oxidizer, and also, any gas stored under pressure can is pretty dangerous. i also didn't not refer to it as flammable, i talked about its explosive properties. and i learned a few new things about nos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous
Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not flammable...it's an oxidizer, you answered your own question. Your car will not explode because there's a nitrous bottle in it. That's a ridiculous myth perpetuated by a scene in a movie and those who take it as fact.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, i admit it, i don't know that much about nitrous and probably fear it mostely out of ignorance, but i would rather make my power on motor or with f/i.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing wrong with that. I myself don't like nitrous because the power isn't there all the time. Only when you hit the switch...I want it exactly whenever I need it, not when I have time to f with a bottle valve opener and all that.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending on the application, Nitrous is certainly the most cost effective way to make HP. Where else can you buy 50hp for $1500 for our car?

Also, for stealth, don't forget the "duffel bag in the trunk" mod. Essentially get a dark duffel bag, cut holes to put it under the bottle mounts, and zip up the bottle for around-town driving. Or tint that rear window REEEEally dark
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by srt4hokie
Originally Posted by tC-Collin
Well that was educational... any rational there? When done right NO2 is safe and effective... I personally have never had the desire to put it on one of my cars but then again my first true tuner car was a factory turbo car...
yeah when its done right, but there are so many little things that can go wrong when its being installed, i.e. leaks

i guess im too much of a wuss to try it, but id rather not take my chances and keep my car
Old 02-13-2007, 04:39 PM

nos scares me.
Then use a diffrent brand NX and Zex are better anyway...

Sorry had to say it... Nos is a brand it is not a name for NO2....
Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 PM

well, i know that movies aren't 100% accurate, but that eclipse had an extra boom from the nos tanks, two, if it wasn't flammable, why would your engine be using it? it is an oxidizer, and also, any gas stored under pressure can is pretty dangerous. i also didn't not refer to it as flammable, i talked about its explosive properties. and i learned a few new things about nos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous
okay, i admit it, i don't know that much about nitrous and probably fear it mostely out of ignorance, but i would rather make my power on motor or with f/i.
The only thing that makes it explosive is the pressure it's under... so your only real concern should be the valve or something popping off and hitting you like a bullet but the likelihood of that is almost nonexistent...

The other concern would be if your car caught on fire. If that happened then it would (fan the flames) if it leaked out...

I did not go to the link you have there but here is a quick run down of how NO2 works. It has 2 oxygen molecules for every 1 nitrogen. This creates a high concentration of oxygen, much higher then ambient air. The spark plug fires igniting the fuel and the fuel is fed by the oxygen. The more oxygen the more expansion that is caused by the explosion and there for the harder the piston is pushed down creating more power.

A turbo/sc compresses air so it’s adding more oxygen to the combustion chamber by forcing more ambient air into the combustion chamber and thus adding more oxygen.

On a side note, NO2 is also super cold so you get a little boost from the intake air being cooler.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Oxide