Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thats cool man, im going for 300 hp sprayed....

doin alot of research and looking into progressive controllers and what not.....

i thought the spark plug change was not due to heat but rather material, iridium and platnium corrode when you spray, versus copper, which should be what zex plugs are, along with a colder step (please correct me if im wrong trying to learn and get my facts straight)

congrats though dude i hope we get alot more people spraying: that way we can pass all those turbo guys, with a big wad of money we saved fillin our pockets, and a great MPG when we decide to hit the brakes.....

talked to alot of people man and you should probably go get a dyno and tune so your making sure your getting all of that 55 shot, not huring your engine with a possible wack a/f ratio, and possibly move up to a 75 shot which the tc should handle really well..

any suggestions or info you have for me (since you have the experience) are really appreciated dude, and if you can get some vid or pics that wold be awsome and i think it would intrest many as well....
Old 02-28-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ps. the thread "300hp all natural" has alot of interesting material in it, check it out
Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 AM
SL Member

Hey man i hear you bout dynos. But right now i have AW header,invidia s-pipe,injen axel back,gutted 2nd cat with hollow pipe, back alley mod but works wonders agencypower pulley,stiffy ETD, hotchkis springs, just added the funny gas.Dyno here in utah is 75$ for three pulls and it is snowing like hell here.So no dyno pulls till summer. But i want to do one NA pull then two pulls with the spray. With the iridium i think they would just melt from the extra heat.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 AM
SL Member

Oh yeah if you want to spray that much nos to push 300 hp there is definetly a need of forged pistons a port polish job on heads,stronger valves,valve springs retainers maybe even connecting rods. Some kind of engine management also gauges up the ___ if you know what i mean. probably 100+ octane also. So its not just spraying nos and getting results. One other thing if your making that amount of power you also have to get it to the ground LSD,clutches,flywheels,axels all these things you need to take into consideration,so maybe you would be spending the same amount as turbo setups or maybe even more. Tell me what you think?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if the tc can handle 300hp boosted, there is no reason it shouldnt be able to handle it sprayed....
true if you were going for a straight 125 shot(what blowed up that dezod or ZPI tC), which is probably what i will need, the engine couldnt handle it all at once....but i have a setup that should do the trick.....and believe me it will be safe, monitored, and clean...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
SL Member

Im not trying to say the motor cant handle it, but how long can it handle it.Boosting is the same in a sense but you have wastegates blowoff valves piggyback ECUs injectors that all work together. Tuning that big shot of nos is going to be alot of work, Im not saying it cant be done, anything can be done to your ride if you put money and time in to it,like they say time is money. With my mods i should be able to crack the 200 mark,I wont know intill i get it dynoed,They say thats how much you get with TRD S/C. Im happy with the $hit i got thats less than half of what a turbo kit costs. So i reached my goal, not bad for a married man with 2 kids. Do whatever floats your boat,you seem to have determination about the whole thing so do it, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, Spray AWAY Firedawg! PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

firedog can be the crazy one and go for 300... i'd like to hit 230-250.

Zex wet kit (75 shot)
Zex blowdown tube kit
Zex bottle warmer
Zex pressure gauge
MSD digital window switch
Innovative Motorsports LC-1 + XD-16 AFR sensor + gauge
a new clutch (because the stocker is going to fry with that much torque sent through it)
Swap the flywheel at the same time for a fidanza lightweight unit
colder spark plugs

god, this setup is going to cost some $ :-/

questions: the zex pressure gauge attaches to the tank. Is there any nitrous pressure gauge out there that is a 52mm or a 60mm guage that i put into a gauge pod up front? Also, besides the AFR + bottle pressure gauge, i need to come up with 1 more gauge to fill the ATI ePod i want. Fuel pressure maybe? is a new fuel pump going to be needed? I can pick up a walboro unit for like $100 shipped...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jayjay: there are alot of things to regulate nitrous out there as well, with alot of research if found that, piggy back Ecu's and injectors will still be required...as well progressive controllers.

neothin: yeah thats the same setup i posted its the wet kit + plus the tuners kit (good choice on keepin it safe with the pressure guage, and blowdown tubes, and smart with the bottlewarmer;no sense in having pushing a 75 shot and only getting 50 hp from it....)

Answers: yes there are pressure guages that attach to the front, digital, and mechanical, they say there have been instances where the digital guages have been miscaibrated and give errored readouts..... but this guage in any case is a must, the relay on bottle warmers has gone before this means the bottle keeps on heating beyond your desired point and could potentially explode... i suggest getting this guage and hooking the bottle warmer to a switch in your cabin that way when you flip the switch the warmer warms and you can assure nothing goes astray (also saves you the trouble of getting out of your car running to the back and riping the bottle warmer off your bottle while the possibility of the bottle blowing up in your face still remains)
^this is a very limited case scenario but i would rather be safe than the guy with a really cool story to tell...

Fuel pressure(you should also change the fuel filter pretty regularly to prevent debris from accumulating in your selenoid <number one selenoid killer)yes... fuel pressure is key you should definitely look into a guage, if your fuel pump does fail you could knock, so do you need a new fuel pump some say no, some say yes, is $100 bucks worth keeping your engine from knocking...yes. im actually going to try to look into the capacities of our current fuel pump if it is reasonable il keep it and buy one more if not, i wil probably buy 2.... one for the fuel system, and one dedicated to the "wet" part of the nitrous system, having 2 fuel pumps keeps the strain thus risk off of one...

one more thing i would do a little more research on the window switch out there, NOS and NX both sell progressive controllers they are a little bit more money but some incorporate a window switch and also give you the ability to fine tune the amount of nitrous sprayed/time if you decide to go higher that a 75 shot, or in your application probably the ability to spray a small shot in first(so you can definatly leave those turbo kids :p).... but ver nice find on that window switch only $100 bucks! ;)...

when are you lookin to have this completed by?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i'm shooting for by the end of the summmer.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have a 75 shot and no bottle warmer cause over here in texas is hhoooot all the time, and i get 65 hp from it and thats about how much you should get ju;s becasue its a 75 doesnt mean you gonna get 75 you never will no matter what stuff you have thats jus how it works
Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard from my sources even if its hot you need a bottle warmer cause the outside heat isnt gonna keep bottle temp constant when you spray, you should get 75 hp from a 75 shot or its not a 75 shot..... TC_by_TRD: can you descibe your set up to me in terms of which kit you got, and what you do have in terms of bottle guages and what not...

correct me if im wrong but ive actually heard that not only should you get 75hp from a 75 shot but it is actually supposed to increase the performance gains of other performance parts such as exhaust...
Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im all stock all i have is the intake so i can spray and i got the kit from my friend's mustang so i got the whole kit for 325$ and i dont have any gauges or bottle warmer, i jus have the bottle nozzles switches and its never possible to get a 75 shot even the jet calculator tells you how much your gonna get from a 75 shot you loose about 5% in the intake oh and i have a dual purge kit and thats about all, thats why im sayin that you dont need anything else other than the kit and maybe aftermarket stuff if you want more power but you ppl worry too much about e manage and such things no offense.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and i forgot this i have the nitrous gauge so i know how much i have left but i dont have any other aftermarket gauges
Old 02-28-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and yes if you have exhaust it will give you more power than if you had exhaust with N/A or at least you will feel a slight difference since more power is coming out the engine with the nitrous