Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Nology hot wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nology hot wires

i have a question about the Nology hot wires for the Tc, has anyone installed these yet? and if so are they worth getting?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are quite a few posts about these and all pretty much agree that there is no real benefit to them. The stock setup has a a coil on plug design which is very efficient. The Nology wires pull the coils off the plug and relocate them which in theory can make performance worse. If you want to spend that kind of money you will be better served by getting some part of the intake/header/exhaust equation or somethng like an engine damper which will offer much more in the way of gains.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^
worrd
2nd that
Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is one pr oven benefit the coils will last longer b/c they are away from the engine heat. It will still have some heat but at least 30 degrees cooler = more life.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That mey be true for turbo cars which will have much higher under hood temps, but it would essentially be an insignificant improvement for an NA tC.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
there is one pr oven benefit the coils will last longer b/c they are away from the engine heat. It will still have some heat but at least 30 degrees cooler = more life.
I'll disagree, Chuck. X gets the square.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
I'll disagree, Chuck. X gets the square.
A lot of electronic parts will have longer life if they were not exposed to the engine heat ie chevy control modules in the distributor, 6.5L turbo diesel injection pump electronic control module.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Actually, the coil packs are designed to operate in that environment and their service life is usually the life of the car. Any "longer service life from lower temps" would be unrealized. I fhat was the only factor in the equation, your point would be somewhat valid, if only in theory. The missing part of the equation is in the design of the hotwires themselves. They are designed to function with a small amount of capacitance, saturating the coil further than it was designed for, thus running hotter internally where it makes a difference, shortening service life. Now GM electronics are another story altogether! Hecho en Mexico takes the biggest toll on these and they come out of the box handicapped in durability. A tad better than Lucas electronics in my opinion. The Scion ignition system is very capable and extremely durable and truly improving upon it is quite a task. Nology Hotwires provide no true gain in anything and are quite expensive for what they are so why bother and waste the money?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, the coil packs are designed to operate in that environment and their service life is usually the life of the car. Any "longer service life from lower temps" would be unrealized. I fhat was the only factor in the equation, your point would be somewhat valid, if only in theory. The missing part of the equation is in the design of the hotwires themselves. They are designed to function with a small amount of capacitance, saturating the coil further than it was designed for, thus running hotter internally where it makes a difference, shortening service life. Now GM electronics are another story altogether! Hecho en Mexico takes the biggest toll on these and they come out of the box handicapped in durability. A tad better than Lucas electronics in my opinion. The Scion ignition system is very capable and extremely durable and truly improving upon it is quite a task. Nology Hotwires provide no true gain in anything and are quite expensive for what they are so why bother and waste the money?
I have been a auto mechanic for 8 years and I have work at part stores on the side for 4 years. I have seen numorous electronics fail due to the heat. And coil packs do not last the life of the car. I have seen hundreads of people come in to buy coil packs.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have been a Toyota MDT for more than 8 years and the discussion seemed geared towards the coil packs on a TC in particular and I would have to disagree with your statements as they apply to this particular application. Toyota coil packs do indeed tend to last the life of the car. Exactly how many of those "hundreds of people" were coming in to buy coil packs for a Toyota? Now that Toyota engines all have one coil per cylinder and no wires, the failure rate is minimal.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been a Toyota MDT for more than 8 years and the discussion seemed geared towards the coil packs on a TC in particular and I would have to disagree with your statements as they apply to this particular application. Toyota coil packs do indeed tend to last the life of the car. Exactly how many of those "hundreds of people" were coming in to buy coil packs for a Toyota? Now that Toyota engines all have one coil per cylinder and no wires, the failure rate is minimal.
good point, now that you say that about Toyota I don't remember any. I do remember tons of chevy owners even on new chevys.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Delco and now Delphi are the work of the devil!!!MANY GM electronic components are short-lived parts. That's the beauty of owning a Scion.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, an intelligent debate without flaming going on. Very impressive. Logic would lead me to believe that if Toyota designed the engine to have the coil packs on the plugs, then they will probably last the life of the car more times than not. Toyota is known for reliability and if they designed the packs this way, I would believe it is the best way they could find. Just my .02
Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Delco and now Delphi are the work of the devil!!!MANY GM electronic components are short-lived parts. That's the beauty of owning a Scion.
good call...we just actually had to replace my dads fuel pump in his 03 Chevy S10...thats right people...I said 03
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

being a honda tech with little experiance but good education i will give my opinion. Note: I may be wrong and if I am prove it in a good manor.

The nology hot wires will increase spark a good amount due to more electrical power being provided through capacitance. the fact is how much power, how noticeable and is it worth the money for a NA tc.

I have seen MSD on integras, civics, celicas, ect that are NA with little mods and showed there gains on the track but owners complained that you could not "feel" the difference.