Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Noob question on Air Diversion Panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by RnB180
Originally Posted by InfiniteVisi0n
Originally Posted by surfcity40
well, GReddy says "air diversion panels are designed to not only improve under the engine looks, but to contain airflow to the radiator core, thus, improve cooling efficiency".
imo, the hood pretty much does that when it's closed, but i'd suggest you decide for yourself. keep in mind you'll get a neat logo when you open the hood, and folk who have bought them will have a different opinion than me.
the air that comes from your grill rotates up so the radiator diversion panel, diverts the air to the radiator so its not only cosmetic

its cosmetic.
I have the dme one.
the hood already has a seal, there is NO WAY air is going from the grill to the engine bay. its freakin completely sealed when the hood is down. You drive a tc dont you?
pop the hood and look at it.
um yea i have a tC and also a DME radiator diversion. My point was clear, it diverts air right back onto the radiator NOT the engine bay. Thats why its called RADIATOR DIVERSION PANEL. It simply helps rotate air back onto the radiator..you know? By closing off the ugly gap, you have something that prevents like 80% of the air from moving up.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but air doesnt move up because when the hood is closed there is no up to go, its completely blocked by a seal.

i dont understand why you are even arguing this? you are the first person Ive ever seen argue against the fact that the bay is sealed off from the grill.

i have mine because I like the way it looks and you can rest things on it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

from pictures, i see that there is a rubber sealer but the sealer is before that gap plus by opening the hood how will that prove that it completely closes off the gap? You cant tell by that and the shape of the hood is slanted so im guessing there will still be a gap. Plus wouldnt you want something that is closer to the radiator? The panel basically starts preventing the lost of air right at the top of the radiator.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from pictures, i see that there is a rubber sealer but the sealer is before that gap plus by opening the hood how will that prove that it completely closes off the gap? You cant tell by that and the shape of the hood is slanted so im guessing there will still be a gap. Plus wouldnt you want something that is closer to the radiator? The panel basically starts preventing the lost of air right at the top of the radiator.
I know it completely seals it, because when I installed my panel and closed the hood, the next time I lifted the hood the seal marked a nice trail of dust across the panel showing me that it was already sealed completely with or without the panel. Thats how I found out about the seal, from the dust trail left by it on my shiney new panel.

the air panel itself has holes through it thus truly not redirecting all the air anyway. doesnt matter since air isnt sneaking up the engine bay anyway.
If you're arguing about any type of performance increase? I didnt feel any difference with or without the panel.

altogether Im still happy with it, it looks clean and its a new shiney car part to show off. Aside from that nothing else.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

of course your not going to feel any performance and i said it only diverts 80% of the air because of the holes but whatever my Christian brother..no bother arguing about this...people just get the panel its nice.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didnt think youd take it personal.
no insult was intended.

cheers, time for me to go to sleep.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

of course your not going to feel any performance and i said it only diverts 80% of the air because of the holes but whatever my Christian brother..no bother arguing about this...people just get the panel its nice.
FYI its called a Radiator Diversion Panel because on very few cars that these have a purpose, thats what its called. Simply on the tC, if it does ANYTHING at all, it does very little.

Either way, makes a great drink holder
Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People need to realize that lots of "mods" are labled in a way to attract buyers without actually producing any positive gains. It's marketing.

The radiator "diversion" panel is just a comsetic piece - like the poster above me mentioned, it's a great place to place your beer as you're trying to figure out where you dropped your bolt.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

....I have the one from scionpro.com and its all looks!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

I got doc's and its just to cover all the wires and the horns up. Looks alot cleaner imo. I do like the greddy both i dont like the fact that its 2 pc
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

lol... i had been skipping this thread in my posts cause i didnt need the info.... lol then i realized i wrote it like 2 yrs ago... lol kinda funny its getting more attention now then it did 2 yrs ago
Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

lol i didn't see how old it was, i was just cruising thru the "recent post" and seeing what was new. thought i'd chime in
Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 years and wheres the turbo!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

its alive and well

on a side note... lol i ended up getting the greddy diversion panel. it IS great for tools... lol
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a paintable 1-piece diversion panel with the same design as ScionPro? I like how it goes up to the 2nd level - the Dr Isotope one doesn't do that and the Greddy is 2 pieces which I don't like.