Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NOS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Default NOS Help!

Ok, so I just purchased my first nitrous kit. The kit is a NOS Sniper efi kit. It should be in on the 22nd. However I have some questions about the kit and my car...

People keep saying I should upgrade my internals, fuel pump, pistons, ect. While others say if you keep it under a 75 shot the stock head will hold up with no problems.

After some research I am finding that the fuel pump should be upgraded if you do any thing over 140hp.

Now it does come with the 10lb bottle and will cost me about $55 to fill. Which brings me to my next question do I want to fill the take or not? I don't mean to sound like I have no idea what I am talking about but I really don't. I want to educate myself before I install something that could kill my car and myself. If need be I will install the kit and hold off on getting the tank filled until I build up the motor some.

Now they say this particular kit can be tuned for about 100-150hp. How do you go about tuning a NOS kit? When you get it filled would I only have it filled for a 50 shot? Is that how you go about tuning it?

Now I know what your probably thinking. "Another ricer with spray!" But trust me I know what I have and because I don't know much about it I am doing my homework first! I planned on upgrading the internals some time down the road but came across this kit for a ridiculous price and couldn't pass it up!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

No one has any information or advice? Lol, ok then back to google for me!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first of all you should have went with a dry kit...

i have a dynotune dry kit and am spraying a 50shot no problem with everything else bone stock.

you dont fill the bottle with shots LLOL the bottle is always filled with 10lbs of nitrous. depending on the temperature, the pressure will be anywhere from 600psi (freezing cold after you fill it after its been sitting in the freezer) to 1200+psi (if you accidentally leave the bottle in the sun in your car )... the way you TUNE your system is maintain a constant presssure .. say, 950psi.. and swap the JETS in the nozzle/fogger...

the jet i am using is .038 opening and i have an automatic. the dyno reads 130whp with no spray and 180whp with spray.. the afr's stayed below 13 so this means that the fuel system can compensate for that amount of nitrous.

i tries a .042 jet but this made my afr jump to 15-16 for a second.... wont be doing that again the stock fuel system has its limits ... maybe i will slap on a .040 and call it a day...

anyway, the point is that you dont really know what you are doing so you shouldnt be messing around with a wet kit, if you get a backfire you are going to ____ some ____ up.

also $55 is a RIPOFF for a 10lb tank.. i've gone through 3 tanks in one week already so the guy hooks me up with $30 refills
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get my bottle filled for $26 ... 10 lb tank and everything...

first off, i have always heard a wet kit is MUCH safer...

mike, i have an auto too... what size shot were u spraying when you got a 180 whp dyno read? and what other addons do you have if any? i ask cuz im tyrin to get an idea of where i will be at...

also, i have also heard anything under 80 or so shot theres no need to change internals... a wet kit shoots its own fuel in with the nitrous shot, which makes it safer
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, thanks guys. Like I said I am still in the first stages of learning about this system. I don't plan on using it any time soon. I do have a wrap and a bottle heater coming along with a temperature gauge.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes wet kits are much safer wet is nitrous mixing with gas. dry is just pure nitrous.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have an auto here in okc thats running a zex wet kit - made 203whp on a 75 shot and 220whp i believe on a 100 shot. The car has ran great on the 75 shot for over a year now but when he went to 100 shot he had some issues with the tranny shifting But no motor issues whatsoever
Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would want to see a dyno. and I doubt a stock motor would last long on a 100 shot.... If it is untuned.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
We have an auto here in okc thats running a zex wet kit - made 203whp on a 75 shot and 220whp i believe on a 100 shot. The car has ran great on the 75 shot for over a year now but when he went to 100 shot he had some issues with the tranny shifting But no motor issues whatsoever
hey man? is he running on stock fuel pump and everything?

also, does he have any other mods besides the nitrous shot to help get him that 203 whp with the 75 shot? or is it just bone stock auto plus the shot?

im about to finish my 65 shot and run it today, but my friend is worried about my tc fuel pump being able to supply enough fuel without it being tuned.. everyone has told me i will be fine, but just wanted to hear ur story
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yes he does have a fic - pulling 3 deg ign timing at peak tq - also adding a bit of fuel - not more than 3-7% - ill ask him to put up dyno sheets if he has them 75 shot ran untuned for over a yr without issues.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also car has full bolt on's fyi - and also stock fuel system si fine? Many people run 300+whp on 550-650cc injectors with stock fuel pump
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Where should I mount the bottle? I have a custom trunk set up now so that eliminates that option. I really did not want the bottle to be seen but what ever... Where have you guys mounted yours?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok so I also have some new plugs coming, one step colder like your supposed to use. I understand I have to run premium gas but I don't have to do this while daily driving correct? I only plan on using the nitrous at the track, so would it be ok if I was to fill up on premium only on the days I take it to the track?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thendawg,

what specific bolt ons does your buddies car have? like i said im trying to get a gauge of where my car will be running at...

i have injen cold air intake, nst pulley set, invidia s-pipe, megan oe-rs axleback exhaust.. and will be having a 65 shot soon...

and on where to mount the bottle, if you cant do it in ur trunk, ur only other option is behind either the driver seat or the passenger seat
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He has injen intake - megan header - and a custom 2.5 exhaust
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i got pulleys and s-pipe to his header that i dont have...

so with my 65 shot, i should be running just under 200 to the wheel i would figure..

he is running stock fuel pump with his kit correct?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea stock fuel pump
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

op, mount the bottle behind the drivers seat on the floor.. that way you can open and close it with your right hand without a remote bottle opener
Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok cool... i should be perfectly fine with a 65 shot then
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: NOS Help!

Originally Posted by Sciko_Scott
Ok, so I just purchased my first nitrous kit. The kit is a NOS Sniper efi kit. It should be in on the 22nd. However I have some questions about the kit and my car...

People keep saying I should upgrade my internals, fuel pump, pistons, ect. While others say if you keep it under a 75 shot the stock head will hold up with no problems.

After some research I am finding that the fuel pump should be upgraded if you do any thing over 140hp.

Now it does come with the 10lb bottle and will cost me about $55 to fill. Which brings me to my next question do I want to fill the take or not? I don't mean to sound like I have no idea what I am talking about but I really don't. I want to educate myself before I install something that could kill my car and myself. If need be I will install the kit and hold off on getting the tank filled until I build up the motor some.

Now they say this particular kit can be tuned for about 100-150hp. How do you go about tuning a NOS kit? When you get it filled would I only have it filled for a 50 shot? Is that how you go about tuning it?

Now I know what your probably thinking. "Another ricer with spray!" But trust me I know what I have and because I don't know much about it I am doing my homework first! I planned on upgrading the internals some time down the road but came across this kit for a ridiculous price and couldn't pass it up!
I would not go above 75hp to be safe and also you should get a traction control switch so you can control what RPM the nitrous shoot in at and so you don't shoot it in case you hit the rev limiter.

Quick Reply: NOS Help!