Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NST Pulleys Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NST Pulleys Question

I'm looking at getting some new pulleys in the near future, and NST, according to all the reviews I've read seems to be at the top of my list. I want to keep stock diameter as to not mess anything up, and they have a stock diameter water pump pulley and crank pulley listed, but the alternator is 20% overdriven so I'm not sure why they did it that way, or if it will mess anything up.

My other question is that they have the stock pulley listed on their website as 59oz, and the NST one as 14oz. Agency Power claims that theirs is a full 3.5lbs lighter than stock, so:

59oz = 3.6875lbs
16oz/lb

3.6875lbs (stock pulley weight) - 3.5lbs (Agency Power claim) = 0.1875lbs

0.1875lbs x 16oz/lb = 3oz

According to my calculations the Agency Pulley would have to be 3 ounces vs. NST's 14. Is there really that much difference between them? If so I would imagine the Agency Power would perform better, much better. Anyway, if anyone could chime in I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im sure Mike over at NST will chime in, but there pulley's are top notch. I have all of them and waiting to install. All I hear is great things about them and a definite power gain. PM NST and they will be able to help you out. Great product
Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup great products... and im sure mike will answer all your questions for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well the 20% overdriven on the alternator gives the guys with the big systems a little more juice. You can still use your stock belt with the 20 overdriven pulley.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pullies just add extra wear to the engine, throws off bearings, DONT GET ONE.
n no theyre not THAT light as in 3oz
Old 11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 2azfeboost
do you know anyone that has actual problems from lighter pullies?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone seems to be loving them, and I don't think anyone has reported and problems.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Everyone seems to be loving them, and I don't think anyone has reported and problems.
I know so many guys who have them without a problem and I always laugh when people post "They'll mess up your motor" with nothing to usually back up their comments
Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya exactly. I recommend them 100% and I will be putting mine on soon.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Ya exactly. I recommend them 100% and I will be putting mine on soon.
let us know when you blow up your motor

just to let you know the water pump is a biatch to install!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: NST Pulleys Question

Originally Posted by ScionSean
I'm looking at getting some new pulleys in the near future, and NST, according to all the reviews I've read seems to be at the top of my list. I want to keep stock diameter as to not mess anything up, and they have a stock diameter water pump pulley and crank pulley listed, but the alternator is 20% overdriven so I'm not sure why they did it that way, or if it will mess anything up.

My other question is that they have the stock pulley listed on their website as 59oz, and the NST one as 14oz. Agency Power claims that theirs is a full 3.5lbs lighter than stock, so:

59oz = 3.6875lbs
16oz/lb

According to my calculations the Agency Pulley would have to be 3 ounces vs. NST's 14. Is there really that much difference between them? If so I would imagine the Agency Power would perform better, much better. Anyway, if anyone could chime in I would appreciate it. Thanks

These are very good questions, and I would be more than happy to answer them in great detail for you if you look for me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM. I will give you the short version for now...

One of the main things I have in mind when building any NST pulley kit is the following. I realize that most of our customers use these pulleys on street cars and daily driven applications, so I design my pulleys with this important fact in mind. As a result, all NST pulleys are built for great performance on track as well as street. You can use ANY combination of NST pulleys without having to worry about your accessories, engine performance, etc. If we build it, there is a very very good reason why we build it the way we do.

All NST pulleys are 70% lighter than the OEM pulleys the replace, and we list EXACT weight specs on our site, not guesstimates It is almost impossible to build a strong enough crank pulley and have it tip the scales any lower than the NST pulley. There IS a point of diminishing returns, and lighter is not always better!

Our 20% Overdrive Alternator Pulley is also 70% lighter than the OEM pulley and helps in the throttle response department. This pulley also allows the alternator to charge at lower RPMs than the OEM pulley. This is very good for people with large audio/video/lighting. This pulley can be used with an OEM sized crank pulley and will NOT damage your electrical system. Many customers have used such a combination over the past few years.

Finally, there is a 30+ page thread here on your own forums to allow you guys to share your first hand experiences with pulleys of all kinds. I have looked through these 30+ pages and have not been able to find anyone who has ever had any problems with NST pulleys. Not a big shock to me whatsoever! The same can be said when looking through other forums on the internet.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Mike!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: NST Pulleys Question

Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
Originally Posted by ScionSean

59oz = 3.6875lbs
16oz/lb

These are very good questions, and I would be more than happy to answer them in great detail for you if you look for me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM. I will give you the short version for now...

One of the main things I have in mind when building any NST pulley kit is the following. I realize that most of our customers use these pulleys on street cars and daily driven applications, so I design my pulleys with this important fact in mind. As a result, all NST pulleys are built for great performance on track as well as street. You can use ANY combination of NST pulleys without having to worry about your accessories, engine performance, etc. If we build it, there is a very very good reason why we build it the way we do.

All NST pulleys are 70% lighter than the OEM pulleys the replace, and we list EXACT weight specs on our site, not guesstimates It is almost impossible to build a strong enough crank pulley and have it tip the scales any lower than the NST pulley. There IS a point of diminishing returns, and lighter is not always better!

Our 20% Overdrive Alternator Pulley is also 70% lighter than the OEM pulley and helps in the throttle response department. This pulley also allows the alternator to charge at lower RPMs than the OEM pulley. This is very good for people with large audio/video/lighting. This pulley can be used with an OEM sized crank pulley and will NOT damage your electrical system. Many customers have used such a combination over the past few years.

Finally, there is a 30+ page thread here on your own forums to allow you guys to share your first hand experiences with pulleys of all kinds. I have looked through these 30+ pages and have not been able to find anyone who has ever had any problems with NST pulleys. Not a big shock to me whatsoever! The same can be said when looking through other forums on the internet.
Thanks a lot man, that answered my question 100%. And thanks to everyone else for the input. I guess guesstimates shouldn't be taken for literal value. lol
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Learn something new everyday!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2azfeboost
ok call me strange, but this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I forsee being (when older) one of those grumpy old people that sit on the porch and have nothing better to do than call the cops on a 3 year old kid cause he ran across his lawn....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lighter crank pulley is top of the list on awsome bolt-ons, nice bang for the buck. Larger throttle body and header, and ur set