Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oh Lord, I have rasp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep the setup the way u have it. unfortunately you will have a little rasp no matter what with the HKS paired with a header. when i had my tc i had the same header and s pipe, stock midpipe with an aero25 resonator welded in between the cat and stock resonator with 3 different axle backs that i tried out. all sounded awesome. TRD, Megan Drift spec, and Tanabe Concept G. the TRD had a little rasp at WOT but the others never had any. the HKS will have a little at WOT as well but the Aero25 should be a perfect compliment to your exhaust system. plus it fits perfectly between the stock cat and resonator on the stock midpipe.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thank Kris.. I might consider the Aero25.. I was also thinking of the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator but I've heard alot about Aero resonators over Vibrants that I can remember/recall! Is this something places like Meineke or Midas have or do I have to venture out on my own and get one off of ebay or some other online site. Also another question for ya. The inlet/outlet is 2.25 correct or is it 2.5! Im trying to get everything as perfect as I can. I have off Friday so im gonna try to aim to get that fixed then or Thursday after work! Appreciate the Input guys!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionSnowman
I have a megan mid pipe, invida s pipe, and HKS hi-power. Absolutely NO rasp and it has a very deep tone to it.

Originally Posted by TwztedtC
You also dont have headers which cause the rasp

This guy solved the problem
Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Lol indeed he did
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kudos for taking care of the rasp asap though. Some dude drove by work today with a fart can and terrible rasp..just not giving off the best image
Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hate rasp with a passion. Im always making fun of those honda boys driving by me in there 2 stroke lawnmowers or weedwackers and I will not be one of them. Friday I will have a decently sounding exhaust when I have the works done to it, hell maybe even tomorrow after work if the commute to work annoys me enough! :D
Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha nice good job! Custom midpipe is the way to go. Choose the style resonators you want and how many. Good luck hope it sounds the way you want man
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys just found this thread, im about to have another combination to test out for rasp. i have wrapped DC headers, and when i first got them i had stock everything else exhaust. it had rasp and i wanted to upgrade the exhaust anyway so i got a greddy spectrum elite exhaust and removed the stock resonator. it had a ton of rasp, with stock midpipe and s pipe. so i bought some cheap stainless steel 2.5" spipe (its pretty good actually) and the megan midpipe. the 2.35" (may be 2.25", C.R.S.) megan midpipe helped a lot with the rasp and the helping the greddy spec do its thing because it has two resonators in it ones about 18-24" the others about 8-12" long. i just ordered an OBX 16" resonator to replace the 8-12" in the megan midpipe to get rid of some rasp around 1000-3000rpm under any load. ill try to get a vid and ill definitely update how it sounds once i get it welded in there.

also will be watching to see how killaspice's will sound as well very interested in how to solve the rasp with the least amount of sacrifice possible!

Last edited by Laminate; 04-20-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KillaSpiceTSW
I hate rasp with a passion. Im always making fun of those honda boys driving by me in there 2 stroke lawnmowers or weedwackers and I will not be one of them. Friday I will have a decently sounding exhaust when I have the works done to it, hell maybe even tomorrow after work if the commute to work annoys me enough! :D
x2 on that......honda's can have there rasp all they want and think there cool..but us scion owners have to send out a different image that were different from honda's..i hate rap also...even a little bit....just take your time and everything will sound great
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just talked to my bestfriend and were heading to Karns a couple miles from where I live on Friday to get this fixed. With the windows up it sounds sexy, but lower the windows and holy ********* it sounds like metal banging, bees buzzing and lawnmowers cutting grass. I appreciate the help! Ill make sure to put a vid on here when I do cuz people love evidence lol and videos best represent that lol!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey all update from my last post a few posts ago. i got the OBX resonator in and got it welded in by a local shop. The megan midpipe has one 18" or so long resonator and one 8-12" resonator i replaced the big one with the 18" OBX resonator and my rasp disappeared. its so much quieter and now that my stereo broke it sounds kinda strange to be that quiet lol. it sounds great and a huuuuge difference. im going to get a video soon of it so everyone can hear ill link it from youtube when i get it up.

ive also been hearing a lot about aero and they seem like good resonators too for rasp.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sweetness bro, I have my appointment finally tomorrow at 8 am in the morning at Karns to customize my midpipe to get rid of the rasp. So we will get this thing figured out! Weedwacker its time for you to be replaced by a lawnmower, :D!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright guys i got the video up. it still sounds ricey from outside but from inside its very quiet. rasp is gone though so thats great.

Here's the before; my first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVQG0mdVZ0

And heres the After; my second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihn1ux3NCQ0
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely not as raspy
Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i didnt replace the small resonator i kept the small one from the megan and replaced the bigger one. i could put the bigger one in with the obx one or something else, theres still more room to go quieter if i wanted, or vice versa.

you really tell the difference from inside, its way quieter and much more pleasant.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had 30" of Magnaflow resonators to get rid of my rasp. Took of my DME header and put the OEM exhaust manifold on and actually gained some low end torque. Car seems to have more pep with the OEM header.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by aryan13
Had 30" of Magnaflow resonators to get rid of my rasp. Took of my DME header and put the OEM exhaust manifold on and actually gained some low end torque. Car seems to have more pep with the OEM header.

well the DME is a 4-2-1 so you really dont have that much low end with that header on there.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DME is definitely a 4-1 header not 4-2-1. Four pipes to one collector.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm running an 18" glasspack resonator and no rasp at all and i've got everything replaced including s-pipe and midpipe
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Where did you guys put the resonators... I was thinking in between the stock cat and stock resonator but Im unsure. Theres a big delay at Karns the place where im getting my midpipe done so im still waiting on something that was supposed to be done last week! But ive got bigger problems with this tapping noise im getting right now that starts around 25 mph all the way down to a complete stop. Doesnt matter if im in gear or in neutrul, if the cars on or off, or if its coasting or im pressing the brake it still makes the noise coming to a complete stop. I hate cars, time to buy a scooter!

Quick Reply: Oh Lord, I have rasp!!!