Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Catch Can..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Very good points above. Why does deisel fuel detonate? (because that is EXACLTY how a deisel engine runs) Because of the high petroleum content of the fuel. There is no reason to allow oil into your intake path. As mentioned above, race engines do not have to run high mileage, so buildup is not a concern at all. Try running a race engine 100,000 miles and tell me how it does.

The way the system is designed, it will do just fine for a long time, but adding the catch can is a good way to improve the system. And I didnt see anywhere that anyone said it would improve performance.

Scott, you do make some very valid points sometimes, but your problem is that you think what you say is gospel (the most dangerous thing a person can think... it conflicts the learning process which we are ALL in constant need of) , regardless of anyone elses experience, and to top it off you cant seem to provide any input without childish insults and rudeness, which is just.... well, childish. ScionDad also knows his stuff and has shown that in the things I have read and the other projects he has worked on. Lo_bux has provided some very good input and seems to have put some time in under a hood. I have spent a good amount of time under one as well and have learned a ton from a man that has been doing this all his life. So I dont think any of us are trying to add mis-information. We are trying to use what we know to input some GOOD information. If you disagree, simply state your reason in a manner that is worth responding to and stop with the condescending tone... because no one in this conversation is deserving of it.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
^^ Very good points above. Why does deisel fuel detonate? (because that is EXACLTY how a deisel engine runs) Because of the high petroleum content of the fuel. There is no reason to allow oil into your intake path. As mentioned above, race engines do not have to run high mileage, so buildup is not a concern at all. Try running a race engine 100,000 miles and tell me how it does.

The way the system is designed, it will do just fine for a long time, but adding the catch can is a good way to improve the system. And I didnt see anywhere that anyone said it would improve performance.

Scott, you do make some very valid points sometimes, but your problem is that you think what you say is gospel (the most dangerous thing a person can think... it conflicts the learning process which we are ALL in constant need of) , regardless of anyone elses experience, and to top it off you cant seem to provide any input without childish insults and rudeness, which is just.... well, childish. ScionDad also knows his stuff and has shown that in the things I have read and the other projects he has worked on. Lo_bux has provided some very good input and seems to have put some time in under a hood. I have spent a good amount of time under one as well and have learned a ton from a man that has been doing this all his life. So I dont think any of us are trying to add mis-information. We are trying to use what we know to input some GOOD information. If you disagree, simply state your reason in a manner that is worth responding to and stop with the condescending tone... because no one in this conversation is deserving of it.
Give that man a cigar

Yup....the constant condensending tone is not necessary.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My bad, I forgot TC "racers" were masters of automotive engineering. I'll defer to your superior knowlege. Sorry.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lol tc racers... just cuz couple of us have experience doesnt mean ur wrong... but I mean a good back and forth depabe is fine. Peope are just saying you aint GOD! Everyone is wrong in one aspect or another.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
My bad, I forgot TC "racers" were masters of automotive engineering. I'll defer to your superior knowlege. Sorry.

Did I ever say I raced my tC, or that I ever planned on doing so? No, I simply said that I have a good amount of experience working with cars and that I learned (and still learn) from someone with a good, reputable past in both high performance builds as well as being a professional mechanic for decades. So lets stay on topic with what is argued here.

You seem to think that you being a certified tech makes you above anyone else in the field and that you can bash on everyone elses knowledge. I will say you have demonstrated some good knowledge.. but I dont say that due to your certification (which impresses me about as much as a drivers license, we all know there are "certified" and even "master" techs who dont belong anywhere near the hood of a car. ), I say it because you have shown some of that knowledge on here. But that does not in the least give you the right to bash and belittle everyone else. Your p!$$ poor attitude towards anyone not sharing your viewpoint not only discredits you but also will be a hinderance for you as well whether you realize it or not. No one attacked you to start with, but you had to come out calling names and twisting things like a child does in a losing argument.

*****EDIT******

I really dont feel like getting into some huge, useless argument over this, so I will leave it at that.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come on Scott. You know exactly what we're talking about. You know what you're doing under the TC hood and your input is appreciated, but it seems most of your posts are slamming regardless if it's bling-function or both.

Modding cars is 90% bling...Items ranging from LED swaps, to wheels and head units. It's all about fun and seeing what can and can't be done.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: oil catch can

Originally Posted by DuMa
not sure if our engines need it nor if there is any power to be gained, but will a catch can be vital? actually im sure no power will be added, its more of a cleanup mod so air will be more purer going into the engine.

not sure how much oil vapor our valve head sends to the intake but a catch can should prevent gunk buildup in intake manifold and injectors.

something like this got me curious if it could be DIY for cheap

http://www.mirage-performance.com/sonata/CatchCan/

any thoughts?
This was the original posted question. 13 replies later no one could answer this guys questions honestly and concisely. NO your engine doesn't need one or it would have come with one. NO power will be gained. NO the intake won't be "cleaner" or the air "purer". No condescending, insulting or name calling,... unless you take it that way because you have done this mod and somehow feel slighted when someone states that it serves no real purpose. Such a sensitive bunch.... And engifineer, I am not a "certified tech" I work for a living and have earned the title of Master Diagnostic Technician, the highest technical achievement that Toyota has to offer as well as an A&P liscense from the FAA. I hold the same high regard for the title "engineer" The bottom line is a guy asks for advice and gets pummeled with BS. If you truly don't have a clue why answer? Some of you may have gained some of this knowlege the same way as the original poster, who might go onto some other forum and share his newly-learned "facts" ( 13 people just told me so!) Here's the "facts"as I learned them: If you want a squeaky clean intake tract and throttle body, go buy a can of throttle body cleaner and remove the intake boot and clean away. Modern oils are very high in detergent and will not dirty your intake tract, they will help clean it and help loosen intake valve deposits. The varnish built up on a throttle plate or intake is from fuel, not oil ( that's what those charcoal filters above the air filter absorb when you turn the car off). The amount of oil vapor going into your intake under most normal conditions is negligible. A catch can will not do anything but look pretty (debatable of course) for your car. It solves no real problem and gives no real benifit. But, as many have pointed out, what the hell do I know........
Old 10-05-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the purest form of RICE (racing inspired car enhancement). It might look pretty but don't kid yourself for one minute that it will "improve" anything or give any performance gain. It would look nice sittin' next to that Turbonator though!
This appears pretty condescending..

In anycase, engifineer was not attacking your credibility so much as attacking your attitude. In anycase, :

If you want a squeaky clean intake tract and throttle body, go buy a can of throttle body cleaner and remove the intake boot and clean away. Modern oils are very high in detergent and will not dirty your intake tract, they will help clean it and help loosen intake valve deposits. The varnish built up on a throttle plate or intake is from fuel, not oil ( that's what those charcoal filters above the air filter absorb when you turn the car off). The amount of oil vapor going into your intake under most normal conditions is negligible. A catch can will not do anything but look pretty (debatable of course) for your car. It solves no real problem and gives no real benifit. But, as many have pointed out, what the hell do I know........
Thank you!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would rate an oil catch can on a street TC about on par with a 3 foot high aluminum wing tacked on the back. Race cars have 'em why shouldn't I? They have been proven to create significant downforce and we all know that downforce is important to a real fast car. Not really so condescending as much as incredulous at some folks train of logic...........
Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, it is a oil catch tank... when you are going to do the oil change, you need to do something to it?
when can you clean it up? how?
(new in the subject, interested, planning to get one, curious)
Old 10-06-2005, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
For an NA engine, no.
I answered first. What about this answer is unclear, ambigous or condescending? Glad everyone here has credentials. Glad everyone chooses to contribute. Not glad anyone feels the need to call the idea "rice" ; it's totally unnecessary. And I still haven't seen a single post claim it makes a performance improvement.

FWIW, what I said about 2JZ-GTEs isn't speculation. I know it's true. If you insist, I'll back it up with whatever evidence you deem necessary.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lance, sorry I didn't take time to exclude you from the comment. You do seem to have some sense and I can appreciate that. Old turbo Supras do indeed oil the intake quite regularly. I find most often the problem is a leaky turbine shaft seal. After a quality turbo rebuild the problem seems to subside drasticly. Keep in mind I'm referring to a relativly stock setup. Add a bunch of boost and many things show up that normally wouldn't. As for a TC, I don't think an oil catch can will accomplish much regardless. The Tc motor has a much more efficient labyrinth system in the top of the valve cover than the Supra. I don't know of anyone running as much boost as some turbo Supras in a TC that is street driven. 99% of these cars are relatively stock NA motors and adding an oil catch can to these cars is, by definition, RICE. Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. RICE doesn't have to be bad, does it? I have some RICE mods on my XB. Hell, most of them are rice because my XB is definately no race car! Now if this catch can comes with some stickers, it might be worthwhile after all...........
Old 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Even if the catch can cought 2 tea spoons of oil, I fell it is worth it. its a cheap mod, and is a step in proventative maintenance.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Revilo
so, it is a oil catch tank... when you are going to do the oil change, you need to do something to it?
when can you clean it up? how?
(new in the subject, interested, planning to get one, curious)
Good catch tanks have and external view to see any oil level inside. But you would really not have to do anything with it. It would take many years to even have to worry about it.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
Even if the catch can cought 2 tea spoons of oil, I fell it is worth it. its a cheap mod, and is a step in proventative maintenance.
And frankly, it looks good. Scott is stuck in the PC version of RICE...which is pure BS. I would ask him to go to a Harley show or an American Muscle car show and refer to some of their mods as RICE.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey now, I actually think yours does look good and matches well. And you not being a young naieve guy, you can probably afford such frivolity. But for the young fellow just starting out, with cars as well as jobs, I would not reccommend this mod as one of the first ones you do. Probably hold off till last, and then only if you can truly afford it.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Books are cheap too and much more worthwhile in some cases......
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey now, I actually think yours does look good and matches well. And you not being a young naieve guy, you can probably afford such frivolity. But for the young fellow just starting out, with cars as well as jobs, I would not reccommend this mod as one of the first ones you do. Probably hold off till last, and then only if you can truly afford it.
Thanks for the compliment. Well, I can understand that thinking for sure. There are other mods to spend 80 bucks on for sure that would be better.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Books are cheap too and much more worthwhile in some cases......
I couldn't agree more! For the young tuner without a lot of money, the very best investment is volume 2 of the Factory Service Manual. Sure, it's not the cheapest thing to buy, but if it saves you from breaking some part on your car by showing you a right way to do something, it pays for itself quickly.

Besides, as I used to say years ago on the Supra list, if you can't afford $150 for manuals, what are you going to do when you need tires? (At the time, tires for a MkIV Supra were >$1k a set).