Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

OK now we are getting boost, what about these gizmos ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey oldman, do you think we should ask the mods to make an edited sticky at the top, for the Gizmo Guides write-up? I could elaborate on it more if I need to haha...
Old 06-03-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
Boost controllers:

By it having a pressure sensor included, you do not need to buy a pressure sensor for your emanage. It can connect to the emanage where it will base it's fuel maps off the psi readings of the Profec-E01. Very capable unit, also one of the most expensive.
Joe sorry for the questions, I know I aint got looks, gas or grass but anyway. Are you saying that if I buy this I can use the scion tC's knock sensor and splice it in. Or that I should just use the factory knock and retard and don't jack with it?

Also on maps, can I just suck the preprogrammed map out of my EManage and store it and resort to any number ??? of stored maps?

I like the idea of multimaps with a signal trigger, like when my water injection dies I want it to tell the EManage /E01 hey 4 PSI is good till the skin flint puts in water or more expensive gas.

Yep Gizmo guide the real FAQ...
Old 06-03-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldman
Joe sorry for the questions, I know I aint got looks, gas or grass but anyway. Are you saying that if I buy this I can use the scion tC's knock sensor and splice it in. Or that I should just use the factory knock and retard and don't jack with it?

Also on maps, can I just suck the preprogrammed map out of my EManage and store it and resort to any number ??? of stored maps?

I like the idea of multimaps with a signal trigger, like when my water injection dies I want it to tell the EManage /E01 hey 4 PSI is good till the skin flint puts in water or more expensive gas.
It's ok man, that's why I posted this haha... The knock sensor isn't what will correct or elimante knock issues. You will basically tap into the stock sensor, and see a voltage on the EMS. If the voltage spikes, then boom, you have knock. Knock is just engine noise so either you have a loose piston (poor install) or are pinging from detonation (too high of compression for intake charge entering piston chamber). To adjust to eliminate knock, either lower boost is necessary, or retarding your ignition timing. Too much will be wasted power so sometimes boost is necessary to be adjusted.

As for the emanage vs. EMS maps... The emanage is pur plug and play. It uses correction values. Basically a +/- xx percent amount. It doesn't know the original parameters, just how much to alter it. With the EMS, you program the parameters from scratch. It doesn't see plus or minus, just a pure number. So it's basicly impossible to translate one system into the other. This is really why AEM is only offering the Universal version through certified AEM dealers. They went to the training to wire the units and program them from the ground up. Expec to spend about $2500 plus just to get the unit and have a basic tune and install.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe on the second part I was asking about Emanage with Greddy Profec E01, can the E01 store and spit out maps.... or did you answer this and it went shooting over my head, you know I was blonde when I had hair...
Old 06-03-2005, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahhh my b... It will store rpm tables, fuel correction and igtion correction values, speed values, throttle postion values, voltage values... stuff like that. It's a basic logging system. Cool to see it plotted on the laptop. I viewed it on my laptop after each drag at the track and compared my consistency and found what rpm lauch and throttle postion worked best to bring my ETs down. Pretty cool tool. Won't help with knock though unfortunately.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm heading to bed, I have work in the morning, but to ellaborate...

The E01 stores and dispays basical values. The Support tool will allow you to record certain things and choose which to see along a big table. You can adjust the duration accross the screen if you want more detal or see the entire recording accross one graph.

Another fact I forgot...

The Emage support tool interface is Serial driven. DO NOT by a USB A-A connector and go straight to the laptop. That is for Japan use only. You would need to either buy a PCMCIA Serial adapter card to plug it in, or a PDA serial to USB adapter (only some work). *EDIT* - reason being: the Emanage has a USB port on it, but the cable they give you goes into the USB port, and then on the other end there is a serial connection. It's not a standard peripheral USB port.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

USB 1.1 btw - haha... now I'm just venting... Off to bed I go...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member

TimmyT, contact us @ (954) 985-9958

We will set you straight. Ask for Jayson or Alexy. Even if you don't have our turbo kit, we will be glad to help you out. I really don't want to see you get ripped off. We have experience with over 425 horse power to the wheels in a Scion tC stock engine.

The ability of the standalone to be tuned via laptop on the go is not a unique feature. There are many cheaper systems which also do that very well. Please do not waste your money!

It doesn't matter to us who's turbo kit you have. You are being taken for a ride. Call us!

Regards,

Alexy
Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. I've run the Emanage with all the harnesses and the capabilities are very impressive. It's definately a safer bet to install because we have a pretty complicated electronics system (4-way brake distribution, the climate control, and the electronic window ecu)...
Old 06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw - Where is Hollywood, FL located near? I'll be moving to Jupiter, FL next month so I'm curious to see how close I am. I'm about 15 min from West Palm.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

knock sensor is very nice when you have something to pull timing when detonation is occuring. definitely will save the engine.

as far as the original question, i think its pretty unanymous that emanage + profec b (1st gen i believe is the best).

very good inormation in this thread
Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
Btw - Where is Hollywood, FL located near? I'll be moving to Jupiter, FL next month so I'm curious to see how close I am. I'm about 15 min from West Palm.
Hollywood is right on the border between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Approx. 30-45 minutes from West Palm Beach.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet I'll see you guys in August haha...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What exactly does the knock sensor do again??
Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's basically a microphone for your engine. If your engine pings/detonates (which damages the head and usually leads to head gask failure) the "mic" sends out the signal via a voltage output. Your ECU will see the voltage spike and pull back ignition timing as necessary to help avoid more knock. It will gradually advance timing until knock is found and pretty much stabilize itself.