Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

p tuning short block

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah stroked is. Not allways better
Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cams you use will adjust where the power comes in, thats their whole point, they allow you to adjust where the engine hits peak volumetric efficiency. Theres no reason that you couldnt run a stroked n/a making power to 7k+rpm. You just need to make sure you use proper bearings and a high flow/high pressure oil pump or sump/pump setup. Stroking an engine, all other variables being equal, will lower where peak torque comes in and where peak hp is reached, but using proper VE modifications, you can harness that increase in displacement to allow more charge into the engine at any given rpm, therefore netting more power at any rpm. Truck engines have low duration and moderate lift cams designed to turn the high displacement into high torque, (22re, 3rzfe) therefore they run out of air flow as the cams and valve size begin choking charge flow after 3400rpm. More displacement=more potential energy per revolution=more power output. You just need to make sure you adjust the engines VE curve to take advantage of the power output either at low RPM (in the form of increased torque), or in the higher RPM range (as an increase in HP). Its the basics of internal combustion engines.

TYLER
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
We could offer an N/A short block. I think it would be interesting to see the end results.
I'd be very interested in this as well. I'm not a huge fan of turbos, as there are so many more parts that can potentially be problematic. I've been following TCPete and a few others with their n/a builds. I'd love to see what you guys could get out of a 2AZ built for n/a power. If a reputable shop like Dezod can build a durable daily-drivable n/a motor putting down 230+ whp with a decent powerband, I promise I'll be one of the first on your list! If I was even remotely close to you, I'd let you play with my car just to see what you could do.

Build it, and they will come!

~Laken
Old 10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no lie it would be really great, you guys offer the brian crower stroker kits already, you should do a mild and wild setup short block for NA, alot of people would be interested.
me too because thats less running around to different shops
Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

The topic of built NA Scion tC motor was brought to our attention years ago by numerous customers. However, after providing these customers with cost per HP gain, most opted to go the turbo route.

If there was truly enough demand for NA built, we would have done this build long ago. This topic seems to come up every now and then, but again those that are truly interested and can afford to go this route seems to be only a few.

This is something that we will keep in mind should the demand for built NA Scion tC motor changed in the near future.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well cmon people lets start demanding this thing!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

I think we'd need a little more info before trying to guage interest... potential power output, cost for the block and heads, what would be needed aside form the engine itself (fuel pump, ignition, etc...)

At least a basic estimate would be nice.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well to both of the above vendors, I am sure both would do a custom one off for a customer, am I correct? If so, what would be a "ballpark" on a turnkey system
saying for instance just simply motor and tuning, and assume the customer has a healthy shortblock/longblock and supporting mods..