Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Performance 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Quick Answer: It actually isn't that uncommon for someone to remove a bunch of stuff before they need to get their car smogged (or whatever emissions test you need). However, in California, new cars are exempt from testing for (I think) 5 years. Therefore, I don't have to worry about smogging my tC until ~2010 :-D

Same goes double for warranty-related crap. Some dealers will be very dumb about what they think voids your warranty. No matter what anyone says, don't let them tell you that putting in an aftermarket stereo led to your blown transmission. A fairly simple way around this entire argument, however, is to just remove the offending components and put them back on later.

All that being said, a header is a bit more complex than a CAI, so I can't speak to what everyone does. (I can't even imgaine having to remove an entire FI system every 6 months for an inspection. ugh)
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd still love to see how rotational inertia affects power. Besides the obvious... lighter weight wheels making your car go vroom a little faster... some math would be great!

I'm just starting to understand this a little better so anyhelp would be great.

For example, anyone have tracktimes for a stock engine comparing two different wheel weights and sizes?

I'd love to see how much difference a lighter weight wheel vs bolt-ons would turn out. (especially considering costs might be around the same)
Old 01-21-2007, 07:55 AM
SL Member

By adding say...a TRD Intake and Exhaust....would my MPG improve? ...Don't laugh....I trulley don't know. thanks.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no
Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 PM
SL Member

really....wow, My brother said otherwise...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

the blue is right. let me explane. an intake and exhaust help your engine breath better. more air goes in more exhaust comes out. if you put in more air you need to add more gas. it gives you more power when you stomp but uses more fuel as well. if you want to save on gas stay stock, lighten your load, and there is a list of other things you can do if you look around. bottom line is more air = more gas.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an exhaust may actually improve mpg, as you're not putting more air into the engine, but just improving the efficiency and reducing back pressure. If any though, it's minimal. The best conclusion is the same as vmains, Weight reduction will add performance as well as increase mpg.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Matt, first of all, awesome write up! I'm a noob, so I figure someone may help. I have the AEM intake, that's all I got. I was considering to change the headers and keeping the stock exhaust. My question is, would my car be loud at steady trottle? I don't want it to sound loud when I'm not deep in the gas... at least, not yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Great write up...I don't know why I haven't read this before. Although couldn't one get away with simply doing the TRD SC and a i/h/e setup? It'ld be simple enough for anyone to get some extra few hp
Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 PM

i have searched and found nothing that can answer my question. I have an 07 tc and was wondering if the 05 and 06 are the same. by that i mean i am looking to get some aftermarket mods and can only find alot of 05 06 parts i so will the parts for the 05 06 tc fit on an 07 tc

the parts that i am looking to do are intake exhaust projector headlights so thanks in advance for the answer
Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o7scion_tc
i have searched and found nothing that can answer my question. I have an 07 tc and was wondering if the 05 and 06 are the same. by that i mean i am looking to get some aftermarket mods and can only find alot of 05 06 parts i so will the parts for the 05 06 tc fit on an 07 tc

the parts that i am looking to do are intake exhaust projector headlights so thanks in advance for the answer
The 07 is mostly the same.

You will have no problems with body mods like headlights or what not.

I believe they redesigned the exhaust manifold slightly and did a little engine tuning. I don't know if an intake will fit from an 05 or 06.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust will fit just fine.

Just don't try and fit an 05-06 supercharger onto your car
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick question...when installing a cold intake would you have to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes for it to learn the new airflow or it automatically recognizes the change once put in and turn on the car. Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you need to disconnect the battery for it to learn a new airflow.

What I've read on the forums is that you may notice a gain from the CAI immediately (should be tiny) but that after time, your ECU learns and adjusts in a way where you'll lose that gain by butt dyno standards
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o7scion_tc

The 05 06 intake will not fit the 07 due to a change with the MAS.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM

is that a change in the location or the unit itself for the MAS on an 07
Old 07-23-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh okay cool, appreciate the info.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Team Echo
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nephi
By adding say...a TRD Intake and Exhaust....would my MPG improve? ...Don't laugh....I trulley don't know. thanks.
Well, I beg to differ with the group...

Grant it, driving habits, type of gas, ect...comes into play, but being one who really kept an eye on mileage form the get go I have to say I did get more MPG, not enormouse put my kids through college savings but...

Stock I was getting roughly 275 to 280 per tank full (well to fill up point, roughly between 1/4 and R)

With my Intake (Injen CAI) and Exhaust (TRD) my tank fulls have gone well into the 300 mark (318-330)

Again, not huge, but I am noticing more miles out of my fill ups.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default performance 101

I think this thread had a chance but is lost. I'm going to give my 2cents and see if it helps any noobs. Let's begin.
Before you buy ANY parts for your car, you need a goal. A plan to take in to account what you want and need from your Tc. This should include your financial and job status, technical abilities and resources, etc. From this list of three, you are to pick TWO:
1. Fun
2. FAST
3. Reliable

They mean what they say. Fun means you enjoy driving the car. Fast means that performance is the #1 priority, 1/4 mile, 0-60 times, etc., reliable means a car that always starts, always stops, and always gets you there. Choose wisely.

The first and most basic principle behind performance is power/weight. The Tc weighs a fatty fat 3000lbs. Therefore, the best way to increase performance without buying any performance parts is to reduce the weight. That means lighter wheels, interior parts like seats, carbon fiber decks, top glass, etc.

Finally, since most people reading this will have inevitably chosen "FAST" as one of their two, just know this. You can buy all the I/H/E crap you want all day long and you're wasting your time and your money. The only way to economically gain performance is through forced induction. Don't try to argue cost vs. value with me either. It's a simple formula of $/hp.

If you want to buy parts for the Tc, buy suspension parts and the best brake pads money can buy. Then save all of your money and buy a turbo, or if you're looking to stay reliable, the supercharger dealer installed. Y'all have a lot of options with the Tc, and contrary to what a lot of people believe, it is an extremely versatile car that looks great and has the capability to be all three (only two at a time though;), fun, fast, and reliable. Have fun kiddos!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

While this would be more 201 I thought I should still mention it. The other most important factor to good performance is good tuning. This refers to the air/fuel ratios and timing, meaning, how much air and when, how much fuel and when, how much spark and when. Even if you don't want to buy a turbo or supercharger, the single greatest performance enhancing modification is to get a 100% user programmed ecu and have your Tc professionally tuned. A well tuned stock Tc will outperform a Tc with $1500 of useless I/H/E parts all day long.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM

wat up every1. i dont know much bout this site but if ne 1 can help me out i have a 05 tc and i had installed dc headers and my check engine light goes on but installing the stock headers makes the light turn right off is it possible to install headers and the check engine light dont go on?

Quick Reply: Performance 101