Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

performance chip question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

noob question!!

what do you mean when you say switching between 2 maps??

i am glad to see my question is getting more play... and that some seem intrigued by the unichip as i am...

one more thing... are you guys saying that if you buy the unichip and just plug it in right out of the box, that you will see around 14 hp and 11 torque??? are you then saying that if i take that uni chip and have it tuned for the TC, that it will get more gains in hp and torque??

last question... does plugging it in right out of the box OR having it tuned hurt ur gas mileage?

thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Price comparison

Originally Posted by Iowa_TC1
Hey guys, here a price comparison off different enginement manage systems. This shows in my opinion way Unichip is the best for the money

Hydra: $1850
GReddy Ultimate: $653+$310 for harness=$963
AEM FIC: $409+$310 for PnP harness=$719
GReddy Main: =$369+$310 for harness=$679
Camcom=$440 but you have to wire it, no PnP

Unichip=$450 come with a harness and a switch to change between 2 maps and it does just about anything the other engine management system can do and Unichip can also be pre-tune it for you.
Unichips website doens't list exact features. What can it control (detailed specs please)? How many inputs and out puts does it have? Does it have upgradable firmware? Price wise it is better than some. IF you are talking about a standalone it doesn't even touch it.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sry double post...

whats a standalone?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Price comparison

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
Originally Posted by Iowa_TC1
Hey guys, here a price comparison off different enginement manage systems. This shows in my opinion way Unichip is the best for the money

Hydra: $1850
GReddy Ultimate: $653+$310 for harness=$963
AEM FIC: $409+$310 for PnP harness=$719
GReddy Main: =$369+$310 for harness=$679
Camcom=$440 but you have to wire it, no PnP

Unichip=$450 come with a harness and a switch to change between 2 maps and it does just about anything the other engine management system can do and Unichip can also be pre-tune it for you.
Unichips website doens't list exact features. What can it control (detailed specs please)? How many inputs and out puts does it have? Does it have upgradable firmware? Price wise it is better than some. IF you are talking about a standalone it doesn't even touch it.
Yes it is not a stand alone, but most off us on here aren't full out racing there cars. So that why I'm saying for the money its the best all around engine management, but it does have a nitrous control and a lot of other race feature on the system. Good point though.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="krazyjvilled"]noob question!!

what do you mean when you say switching between 2 maps??

i am glad to see my question is getting more play... and that some seem intrigued by the unichip as i am...

one more thing... are you guys saying that if you buy the unichip and just plug it in right out of the box, that you will see around 14 hp and 11 torque??? are you then saying that if i take that uni chip and have it tuned for the TC, that it will get more gains in hp and torque??

last question... does plugging it in right out of the box OR having it tuned hurt ur gas mileage?

Here is a pic of my Nitrous control setup below with the Unichip map switch to the right. A map if you don't know is basically a program that unichip or any enginement system runs to best configure you car ECU to get horse power, gas mileage, and torque. Since I have nitrous on my car I had to run a map to retard my engine so it would be safe for nitrous.

Also here is a link the tells you about Unichips features http://www.unichip.us/51-features[/url]

Old 05-31-2009, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazyjvilled
sry double post...

whats a standalone?
a standalone takes the place of your stock ecu entirely whereas a piggyback (such as the unichip) allows for adjustments fuel/afr/timing adjustments (i think..i'm not completely knowledgeable about the topic..) while working with the stock ecu but has more limitations than a standalone..a standalone basically reprograms the entire car..if anyone wants to correct me or expand feel free that's just the basics of what I know about these things lol
Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok thanks... i have learned so much from this site its unbelievable...

so, am i correct in saying that if you get the unichip, and just plug it in and you get around 14 hp and 11 tq? but then you can also later have it tuned and get more out of it? is this correct? and do you lose or gain gas mileage with one of these?

im seriously considering it if i get the answers im hoping for
Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally I'm still waiting for more results (i.e. without nitrous) so I don't know if you actually will get the 14hp it's promising..normally an N/A tune on our cars doesn't produce much but the unichip seems to be a little different than other piggybacks.

But sorry I don't know much about the answers to your questions..I would assume that this would affect gas mileage slightly because it does adjust fuel ratio and stuff like that but I could be wrong
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

adjust it in a positive way or negative way?... when you say N/A... do you mean with no forced induction upgrades?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well a positive way of course lol basically your adjusting your cars ECU to react better to bolt on mods (i.e. header/intake/exhaust/etc...as well as turbos and superchargers) to get as much power out of them as possible.

and N/A = naturally aspirated = no turbo/supercharger/nitrous

FI = forced induction = turbo/supercharger/nitrous
Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok cool.

all i have upgraded in the engine area is just adding a KnN air filter... if i added the unichip without getting any FI, would that still be beneficial in your opinion?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazyjvilled
ok thanks... i have learned so much from this site its unbelievable...

so, am i correct in saying that if you get the unichip, and just plug it in and you get around 14 hp and 11 tq? but then you can also later have it tuned and get more out of it? is this correct? and do you lose or gain gas mileage with one of these?

im seriously considering it if i get the answers im hoping for
Yes, you plug it up it comes pre-mapped and you can have it adjusted later and see another 14 hp a friend of mine had it with MMW Header, AEM CAI, 2.5 inch s-pipe back exhaust and a light weight crank pulley and tuned unichip (not premapped it was re-tuned). He dynoed his car and got 182 whp he was beating si's by a car length, but he has to use 93 everytime now.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm SOL in that case..we only have 91 octane where I live lol
Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i were to get the uni chip, i would probably not be getting a cai or any exhaust or headers....

would i still see an upgrade in hp before re-tuning?

and how did his hp only go up by 21 if he had a cai, headers, exhaust, and a retuned unichip???

that does not seem worth it at all
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hey the 161hp stock for a tC is flywheel my guess is those are whp numbers! But maybe he can post to specify and on what dyno as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
hey the 161hp stock for a tC is flywheel my guess is those are whp numbers! But maybe he can post to specify and on what dyno as well.
The TC from what I have heard only puts out around 140-150 to the wheels for HP from stock, but I'm not sure because I never had mine dyno.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea thats about right for stock whp but the guy above me was thinking 161hp was whp i think based on his comment and that one guys dyno. Thats what i was commenting on.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Yea thats about right for stock whp but the guy above me was thinking 161hp was whp i think based on his comment and that one guys dyno. Thats what i was commenting on.
Ok cool
Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey the dyno for the unichip is up on there website now, but you have to double click on the dyno to bring up the PDF of the actual one for the tC.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dyno is suspect. I never seen a tc with those mods dyno anywhere close to that pre unichip one. also why does it cut off at 5500 rpm? why not post a dyno for the 07+ that they just came out with insted of an 06.

Quick Reply: performance chip question